Profile for V. Carlin > Reviews

Content by V. Carlin

V. Carlin (London, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Help Children Sleep Bedtime Audiobook CD - Seashore
Help Children Sleep Bedtime Audiobook CD - Seashore
Offered by hypnosishealthcare

5.0 out of 5 stars It's works brilliantly but, 11 Mar. 2012
Well, the rather unkind reviews of the narrator's voice are spot on. I'm so sorry. He has a rather pronounced speech impediment and a somewhat fey voice. As a parent you find yourself tsking snottily at it. However you can't fault the content. I have never used this and not come back to find both my children fast asleep, so I ration it for absolute necessities. To the narrator: thank you for all the peaceful nights and I'm so sorry I was rude. I wouldn't like to hear my voice on tape either.

Cinderella and Other Stories: A Lift-the-Flap Fairy Tale Collection
Cinderella and Other Stories: A Lift-the-Flap Fairy Tale Collection
by Stephen Tucker

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty badly told, the jokes aren't great, 7 Mar. 2012
Is your child obsessed with lift the flap books? Mine too. And they have a lot of Nick Sharratt illustrated books that they like. I will confess, I'm not that mad on the cartoony look, I prefer something more pretentious and arty, or just beautiful. But I still buy them and am happy if my kids like them.

The kids would give these a rating of good, I think. There's been an average number of requests to read them. They're nice and short (I always give a thumbs up to very short books at bedtime!). But they are not a pleasure to read. The scansion is awkward and even shoddy, the words tumble out of order just to make a rhyme, and I find most things about every one of the three stories very irritating. I'd rather have a grittier telling of fairy tales with feet being cut up in Cinderella and Red Riding Hood and her granny being eaten, but I'm okay with cutesying up if it's fun and well written. These really aren't either. Because of the rhyme format, you miss out on some fairly important parts of the story, too, especially with Cinderella, and you don't get the lovely well-worn repetitions (Who's Been Eating My Porridge? All The Better To Eat You With) that you get in more traditional versions - there's a nod towards them, but without the full repetition the effect is damaged.

This is a long review. In short, 3 stars from kids, 1 star from me, average of 2 stars. But they do have a lot of flaps!

Djeco Dot to Dot Colouring Too Cute
Djeco Dot to Dot Colouring Too Cute
Offered by + Q GLOBOS ILUSIONES

5.0 out of 5 stars Dot to dot as art, 6 Mar. 2012
These are so lovely, when they're finished they are good enough to put on your child's wall as art. The paper is thick ridged watercolour paper and my children coloured in with a combination of felt tip pens and watercolours. The results are completely gorgeous, everyone is pleased with them.

You only get 5 little pictures per pack. The mermaid ones are beautiful too.

Dualit 84102 Latteccino Cream
Dualit 84102 Latteccino Cream

1.0 out of 5 stars Apparently they all break down very quickly, 5 Mar. 2012
My dad bought me this and it's a nifty and adorable looking thing. It doesn't make very much milk - no Starbucks Venti, you'd be hard pushed to make a Regular - and the milk doesn't come out very hot (warm your cups!). However, I make the milk for my daughter's hot chocolate with it, and she's 5, so it's great that the milk isn't so hot. It's perfect for her.

The first one my dad bought me went kaput in less than two months. I was using it less than three times a week, and because I'd read reviews on here I thought people were just mistreating theirs and treated mine very very lovingly. I kept it mostly dry, filled it up to wash it rather than running the whole thing under the tap, wiped it with wet cloths, dried it immediately, kept it very dry, made sure there was no milk residue.

He took it back and got a replacement. We continued to use it with love and care and infrequently - for instance I didn't make any frothed milk over the summer. I've used it through the winter and the same thing that happened to the first happened to the second this week. It's worked for well under a year. I wrote to Dualit explaining why I wouldn't be able to take it back to the shop this time and asking if there was a known glitch with the product and whether any steps had been taken to fix it, because I was interested in buying a replacement because it's so perfect for my daughter. But they didn't answer that point, they said if I had a receipt I could return it to them. If I had a receipt I'd take it back to the shop. I would advise anyone considering this to think again. It's so cute, but a Bodum milk frother produces more froth, hotter milk, and you can stick it in the dishwasher and it lasts a lot longer.

Bits and Pieces: 4v.in 1v
Bits and Pieces: 4v.in 1v
by Peggy Blakeley

4.0 out of 5 stars Not really for very young children any more, 7 Jan. 2012
There are some amazing poetry books for very young children (Here's a little poem, illustrated by Polly Dunbar, is my favourite) but this is not one of them. It is, however, a collection of interesting, sensitive, surprising poetry choices that older children will like, and some of them will appeal to younger children. There are no illustrations. It's dry and sophisticated (although there are funny ones there too) - and given the alternatives, I wouldn't buy it to get children into poetry. But if your child is a poetry nut, there are lovely poems to read aloud. Peggy Blakeley is a very good writer and I bought this on the strength of having enjoyed her translations of Japanese children's books.

The Haunted Hamburger and Other Ghostly Stories
The Haunted Hamburger and Other Ghostly Stories
by Paul Meisel

3.0 out of 5 stars Not mad about this, have had better from the author, 7 Jan. 2012
David LaRochelle wrote the wonderful 'The Best Pet Of All', which is a sweetly illustrated, archly clever book about a young boy who gets a dragon as a pet just to annoy his mum into getting a dog, which is what he wanted all along. It's a big favourite in our house, and so are ghosts, so I thought this would go down a treat. And my kids quite liked it, and there are funny moments, but it really isn't as much fun, or as clever, so I was, I'm afraid, a bit disappointed. The basic plot is that a father ghost is trying to get his kids to sleep so he tells them ghost-ghost stories, which usually involve the horribleness of the mundane human world.

Bio-Nature Kitty Cats
Bio-Nature Kitty Cats

5.0 out of 5 stars Just very small plastic cats, 7 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Bio-Nature Kitty Cats (Toy)
I decided to do a review because someone on the dog version of this was asking what they are and there are no details. I found them first in a department store, they are just very small plastic animals but they keep very small children entertained for a long time. They're a great bath toy, too. However, losing them is a pain, if they get attached to one specific animal in the set. They keep my kids quiet in cafés and they prefer to play with these in, for instance, Playmobil things than with the figures that come with them.

The Enormous Turnip (Flip-Up Fairy Tales)
The Enormous Turnip (Flip-Up Fairy Tales)
by Cristiana Cerretti

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the most interesting source material, so not the best in the series, 20 Dec. 2011
My daughter is mad about this series of Lift the Flap books, and there seem to be dozens of them now. They are all quite amusing, thoughtfully adapted, there's nothing worryingly sexist or non-PC, the pictures are nice enough, the flaps don't do anything exciting but it doesn't seem to bother the kids. This is in fact one of my daughter's favourites, but she likes all the ones we've bought about equally. You know the story, they just pull and pull and can't pull up the turnip, but when the mouse joins in, up it comes. The CD is a help if you're hoarse or feeling lazy. As mentioned in reviews of others in the series, they don't use the traditional speeches from the fairy tales, so Fee Fi Fo Fum peters out without a Be He Alive or Be He Dead, the 3 Little Pigs has no 'not by the hair of my chinny chin chin', and Little Red Riding Hood paraphrases 'all the better to...' in parts. I just add those bits myself.

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year [DVD] [2008]
The Most Wonderful Time of the Year [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Henry Winkler

2.0 out of 5 stars Baffled by the great reviews, 20 Dec. 2011
I love Christmas films. I am pretty easy to please. I love Henry Winkler. This came up in my recommendations and the reviews were overwhelmingly good, so I bought it. But it's not really a very good Christmas movie. It looks incredibly cheap, the plot is poorly contrived and predictable - while at the same time unbelievable. The two romantic leads are strange looking and more or less charmless - he fights very unfairly in one shocking scene. Henry Winkler is nice, channelling Peter Falk, which is a good thing. But the plot never rises above weak romantic comedy, there's no meaning of Christmas, no real transformation or realisation beyond the wrong guy/right guy one. I'm still looking out for that great undiscovered Christmas movie. This isn't at all it.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 17, 2015 9:12 AM BST

The Gary Cooper Collection 3 DVD Set [2007]
The Gary Cooper Collection 3 DVD Set [2007]
Dvd ~ Gary Cooper
Offered by American Beauty Int

1.0 out of 5 stars Design For Living. Nope., 13 Dec. 2011
I think it's quite funny that everyone is writing the same review so I thought I would add mine. I didn't buy this collection and I love Meet John Doe, so I haven't been inconvenienced, but it is rather shoddy of Amazon to link everyone here when they're just looking for specific and different Gary Cooper films, because without the listing, it's easy to assume yours will be on here. I'd like to add my thanks to the reviewers who steered me away.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10