Profile for Stubs > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Son
The Son

5.0 out of 5 stars Visually griping novel, 5 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Son (Kindle Edition)
For a long time Hilary Mantel has had the top spot, in my view, with her Cromwell series. I did wonder if I'd find anything else as gripping.

Don't mistake me, these books are nothing alike. The Son follows three narrators from the same family in Calling it a saga is a weak description. It's a tale of a century in the life of Texas from a particular perspective.

The three narrators appear very different in character but they all come to the same conclusion about life. Spoiler - though Eli and Jeanne have a more interesting story to tell, it's Peter that ends up happiest on the end. What moral tale tell us?

The best part of this novel is that it doesn't seek to judge any of the narrators. They have weaknesses and flaws but that makes them all the more engaging. This isn't a story about heroes and villains. It's about what it takes to get through life and how life events change is.

A very satisfying read.

The Princess and the Wizard
The Princess and the Wizard
by Julia Donaldson

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely and funny book for little girls, 19 Sept. 2013
I bought this book for my 4 year old niece and she loves reading it at bedtime. The illustrations are colourful and have the added coolness of glitter. What girl doesn't like glitter? The story is funny and you can bring out a different part of the book at every reading.

Dominion
Dominion

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but characters too wooden, 24 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Dominion (Kindle Edition)
The story is premised on an interesting but not novel idea (see e.g. Robert Harris) - what would happen if the UK had not won the war or, in this case, had made peace with the Nazis early in the war. The problem with this and the only other book I've read by C J Sansom is that his characters are just to clunky. The exchanges between the characters are heavy and stilted, the characters don't leap of the page and read and act to type and everyone seems so perceptive that they can read each other without even talking!

Educational - Learn Your Alphabet - Maxi Poster - 61 cm x 91.5 cm
Educational - Learn Your Alphabet - Maxi Poster - 61 cm x 91.5 cm
Offered by Poster Revolution UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright, fun and colourful, 10 Jun. 2013
I got this for my 3 year old niece and it is a great size for the wall. It is nice and bright and the pictures are easy enough. I wish I had bought it a year ago. I will be buying a few more for children of a friends.

A Delicate Truth
A Delicate Truth

4.0 out of 5 stars Great satire and well drafted characters, 10 Jun. 2013
This review is from: A Delicate Truth (Kindle Edition)
My first le Carre and it was a great experience. The characters are really almost perfect in the way they are brought to life by le Carre and very real. The plot line is great. It is a fairly short novel. I would have given it five stars but the ending wasn't as strong as the rest of the book. It really deserved something spectacular. I'm going to have to get reading more of his books now I've 'discovered' le Carre!

The Marriage Plot
The Marriage Plot

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, awful - could not be bother finishing., 10 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The Marriage Plot (Kindle Edition)
This is not a badly written book. It is just a dull novel about pretentious and selfish university students in the US in the 1980s. They could be university students in any city or town in the world. Go to university instead and you'll meet these annoying people trying to 'find themselves' or just sit in a coffee shop in a university town and listen to the university students - you don't need to buy a book about them!

The Book Thief
The Book Thief

4.0 out of 5 stars Kindle edition has flaws, 10 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Book Thief (Kindle Edition)
This is one the best books I've read this year. Second only to bringing up the bodies. I'm not sure what it was that took me so long to buy it. It's always intrigued me when I see it in bookshops. It's beautifully and sympathetically narrated by death. It's unusual because you are told the fate if the main characters but that doesn't lessen the pain when events occur. The disappointing aspect (and reason it doesn't get five stars) is the fact that it is near impossible to read the handwritten text and I felt I missed a vital part of the story.

The Prey (Hunt 2)
The Prey (Hunt 2)
by Andrew Fukuda

4.0 out of 5 stars Filler book in the trilogy, 3 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Prey (Hunt 2) (Paperback)
Right, if you read the hunt then you will be reading this book regardless of any review on this page. This is the second book in the trilogy and while it did progress the story, it had the feel of treading water for the finale. I like Gene's characterisation - flawed and confused. I know my niece found it scary. I found bits of fairly disturbing rather than scary.

Spoiler, spoiler coming up. It is odd in not explaining why Ashley June was turned into a vamp rather than eaten given how keen the vamps are on ripping people to shreds. It also feels a bit twilight-ish at the end and that was disappointing.

The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry
The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read but drifted on too long, 2 Mar. 2013
This is well- written and funny at parts but I found it difficult to connect to the lead characters. It did make me want to pull on my walking shoes and go for a long stretch.

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared

2.0 out of 5 stars Promising start but rapidly became stale, 23 Feb. 2013
This is an original and fun plot to this book. 100 year old man escapes from an old folk home and ends up on the run from the police in increasingly bizarre turns of events. And then you realise that his whole life has been extraordinary. But it started to get dull and repetitive after a third of the way through. I forced myself to half way mark but have now abandoned. I don't seem to care how it ends. Nice try and would make a good movie if properly condensed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3