Profile for Maya Hiort Petersen > Reviews

Content by Maya Hiort Pet...

Maya Hiort Petersen (Bornholm, Denmark)

The Sirens Of Titan (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
The Sirens Of Titan (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
by Kurt Vonnegut

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my ALL TIME FAVOURITES!, 9 May 2009
This book may not be for everyone, but it is one of my all time favourites and I think I have read it twenty or more times over the years. I read it 2 times just last years!
I can see that it may be a bit hard getting into at the beginning, but if you just persist, you will not regret it. The book flips back and forth between time and space and planets. It is not as spacey as you might think. Vonnegut was a humanist. This book is a play on politics and religion. It is satirical and funny, serious and beautiful. You feel so very much for the characters as they lead you through a long chain of events from a hermit stock broker hiding in a hotel room, using the bible as code for the market...through a phony war from Mars.. to a religion made to save the world.
I love it, love it, love it!

Slapstick or Lonesome No More
Slapstick or Lonesome No More
by Kurt Vonnegut

5.0 out of 5 stars Slapstick, 9 May 2009
Slapstick, or, Lonesome No More!

Slapstick is a book I have read many times. It's a book I seem to forget about and then remember again when discussing social welfare, politics, and how lonesomeness is by far one of the scariest things to face.

Vonnegut once wrote that because America's size, many Americans moved away from their families, In search of better jobs and better lives. But by doing so, people stopped having tight family networks as they did in the old days and that this was one of the downfalls of America; people were lonely. Vonnegut had a cure for loneliness, and in Slapstick, the last president of United States of America in his own loneliness, makes a law. He gives everyone a new middle and last name,for example: daffodil 13.In that way everyone would have family somewhere,the amount of names given being low.
I always forget about the ugly twins, and the way they were hidden away out of shame. The genius of them and the way they hide in the library. The way Kurt Vonnegut describes them, the rooms in the giant house, I can almost smell it.
Vonnegut is a genius at art of description. One is not bored by his massive detailed descriptions, but instead enthralled by them, and feeling as though you have been transported there with the characters.
Slapstick is a politically satirical book. It starts you off smiling, with a joke nearly from the first sentence and though much of the book is quite surrealistic, it is somehow believable.
I am a Vonnegut nerd, I admit it, and though this is not my favourite Vonnegut book (Cat's Cradle or Sirens of Titan), I definitely love it, and give it a very good review!!