Profile for A. Lucas > Reviews

Content by A. Lucas
Top Reviewer Ranking: 708

A. Lucas "bookworm" (Essex, England)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 11-20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31-40
Queenie
Queenie
by Jacqueline Wilson
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars QUEENIE, 25 April 2013
This review is from: Queenie (Audio CD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Another winner from the wonderful Jacqueline Wilson. The characters, as always, are so well crafted and the story is brilliant. The usual mix of happiness, sadness and every emotion in between. I think this one will be a winner with all ages - from kids to grannies!!

Alex
Alex

5.0 out of 5 stars Alex, 25 April 2013
This review is from: Alex (Kindle Edition)
Having read some of the other reviews on here, I (rather foolishly) started to read this book at around 11pm last night. Big mistake....... because I just HAD to finish it, so was up for most of the night reading.

When I purchased this book, I had assumed it was a spooky horror/ghost type story, and when I read the other reviews I was a bit disappointed. However... my disappointment didn't last for long, as this book is just perfect. I was drawn in from the first page, and literally didn't put it down until I had finished. I had great sympathy for Ian, although I did feel like shaking him sometimes - especially when he was dithering around about work. I also felt like slapping Ian and his wife for allowing a 5 year old child to walk home alone from the childminders house. What were they thinking?????

I kind of guessed where the book was heading and was glad it finished the way it did. I don't want to spoil it for anyone about to read it, so I won't go into details of the twists, but there were no loose ends left, which I always like!

I won't hesitate to seek out more by this author.

Exodus (Extinction Point Book 2)
Exodus (Extinction Point Book 2)
by Paul Antony Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars EXODUS (EXTINCTION SERIES), 23 April 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I absolutely loved the first book, and couldn't believe my luck at being offered an advance copy of book 2 to read. I admit to being so impatient for this instalment that I had contacted the author to find out why there had been a bit of a delay!!

So - Book 2; Exodus. Was it worth the wait? Totally. It was so easy to get straight back into the story, and feel for poor Emily as she heads to Alaska to meet up with Jacob and the other survivors. It isn't necessary to have read the first book to enjoy this one, but you really should read it - just because it is such a great book.

Emily and her dog Thor encounter more of the evil aliens, and even manage to come across more survivors (one family.... and some ducks!). I don't want to spoil the action or give the story away, but it is full of twists and turns, some really moving moments, and plenty of chills.

I am glad Emily decided to teach herself to drive in this book - heading to Alaska on a bike never did seem like a sensible idea to me!! I was very impressed with how quickly she managed to master driving (I know the car was automatic, and there wasn't a lot of traffic on the roads, but even so.... she soon becomes an expert!).

I couldn't put this book down, and ended up staying up until 4.30am to finish it in one sitting. I just wish Mr Jones could write as fast as I can read, as I am now longing to find out what happens next.

Cruel Crossing: Escaping Hitler Across the Pyrenees
Cruel Crossing: Escaping Hitler Across the Pyrenees
by Edward Stourton

4.0 out of 5 stars CRUEL CROSSING, 19 April 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Edward Stourton has written a wonderful book, full of tales of daring and escape - made even more interesting because they are true. I found myself lost in the stories of bravery, and marvelling at the people who were escaping - but also at all of the people who selflessly helped in the escapes. Really did bring a tear to my eye in parts.

TP-Link TL-WR1042ND 300Mbps Wireless N Gigabit CABLE Router
TP-Link TL-WR1042ND 300Mbps Wireless N Gigabit CABLE Router
Offered by BESTBUYIT

2.0 out of 5 stars TP-LINK TL-WR1042ND 300MBPS WIRELESS N GIGABIT CABLE ROUTER, 19 April 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Like other reviewers, I wasn't aware this was a cable router..... so please be aware of that before purchasing. That said, it could still be used - it just had to be plugged into an existing router. We were hopeful that it would then be a boost and make things easier and faster. Alas, that wasn't the case - in fact everything just jammed up and nothing would work with it.

I guess it might be OK if used properly (cable) but it was a complete waste of time as an 'extra'.

Rebit Version 5, 1 User (PC)
Rebit Version 5, 1 User (PC)

3.0 out of 5 stars REBIT VERSION 5, 19 April 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I received this as via the Amazon Vine programme, to try out and review. I gave it a good try, really I did...and found it simple to use (despite being a complete div in the technical department). I have to admit, I gave up though.... because it just made everything run so slowly. I have been reliably informed that there are other things I could use to do the same job... and free of charge!!

Happy This Year!: The Secret to Getting Happy Once and for All
Happy This Year!: The Secret to Getting Happy Once and for All
by Will Bowen

5.0 out of 5 stars HAPPY THIS YEAR: THE SECRET TO GETTING HAPPY ONCE AND FOR ALL, 19 April 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
What a great little book. The author certainly makes you want to believe that happiness is just around the corner; achievable by all. It's well written, easy to read and pleasant to follow advice.... I think everyone could do with learning some of this positive way of thinking. It's all too easy to be negative about everything..... but if we just stop and give it a go, we can all be happier. The author has me convinced anyway (not an easy thing to do).

Red Moon
Red Moon
by Benjamin Percy

4.0 out of 5 stars RED MOON, 19 April 2013
This review is from: Red Moon (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really rate this book between a 3 and a 4 star, as I enjoyed it.... but felt I could have enjoyed it a whole lot more! The story is basically good - (even though I am getting fed up with werewolves and vampires in every other book these days!) - but I felt bogged down by details and lengthy political explanations. Some of the characters were really quite annoying - and I did feel robbed of finding out the fate of several of them (perhaps there will be a second book??). Definitely not what I would call a horror book, but still unsuitable for younger readers (or the squeamish!). The book is really long... overly long in my opinion... but worth a read.

The Haunted Book
The Haunted Book
by Jeremy Dyson

3.0 out of 5 stars THE HAUNTED BOOK, 18 April 2013
This review is from: The Haunted Book (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am still trying to decide whether this book is one of the best things ever, or an overrated heap of tosh! It's quite a cool looking book - I agree with another reviewer who said it really needs to be enjoyed as a physical book, not an e book. It's quite dark and scary in parts, but as a whole, I think it might just be a bit too boring. It doesn't make me want to rush out and buy more by the author. Shame, because I really was hoping for great things.

Petite Mort
Petite Mort
by Beatrice Hitchman

4.0 out of 5 stars PETITE MORT, 18 April 2013
This review is from: Petite Mort (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There's just one word to sum this book up...... beautiful. I am fascinated by the era of early film-making, so I guess I was always going to enjoy this! But, it is so beautifully written, with some great twists and turns, lovely characters and fabulous locations, I think anyone would be hard pushed to complain about it! I really did enjoy it - and my mum read it too, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Page: 11-20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31-40