Profile for A. Lucas > Reviews

Content by A. Lucas
Top Reviewer Ranking: 743

A. Lucas "bookworm" (Essex, England)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Last Town (The Wayward Pines Trilogy Book 3)
The Last Town (The Wayward Pines Trilogy Book 3)
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Last Town, 12 Aug 2014
I have absolutely loved this trilogy. I couldn't put this last book down once I'd started reading it, and I wasn't disappointed. I don't want to spoil it for other readers, so won't give anything away. I will just say that I really thought I knew where this book was going, but was really surprised by the ending. Can't wait for anything new by Blake, I've loved avert thing of his that I've read.

Gravity (Gravity Series #1) (The Gravity Series)
Gravity (Gravity Series #1) (The Gravity Series)
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Gravity, 12 Aug 2014
Really great first book in a series. A real page turner, with intriguing storyline, believable characters and a very original idea. Would make a great film or films. Got a bit of everything... Scares, romance, tragedy, friendship. Can't wait to read the others.

Sweet & Unique Cupcake Toppers: Over 80 Creative Fondant Tutorials, Tips, and Tricks
by Lynlee North Beckett
Price: 13.21

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet and Unique, 12 Aug 2014
Great book with lots of ideas and easy to follow instructions. Could easily adapt to make more than the illustrated toppers. A good reference book for any cake decorator's library.

Uncertainty (Gravity Series #2) (The Gravity Series)
Uncertainty (Gravity Series #2) (The Gravity Series)
Price: 1.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Uncertainty, 12 Aug 2014
Really good book. Exciting storyline and great characters. Obviously meant for YA audience, but I'm 49 and thoroughly enjoying this series.

NESCAFE Dolce Gusto Oblo by KRUPS Coffee Capsule Machine - Orange
NESCAFE Dolce Gusto Oblo by KRUPS Coffee Capsule Machine - Orange
Price: 89.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty...but not practical, 30 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The box for this machine is so cool I didn't even want to open it, and certainly couldn't bring myself to throw it away! I'm afraid that's where being impressed ended for me. OK, so the colour of the machine is quite nice, but then it's attached to the horrendous (and very short) bright red cord, which doesn't just not match, it positively clashes with the orange machine, making it look quite tacky in my opinion. So, then onto making a drink. The water tank is really fiddly and awkward to fill from the tap and remove/replace. The space for the cup to sit in is slim to say the least, and I only have two cups that I can use (although there are glasses and cups available to buy on the website). It's easy enough to pop in the capsules and remove them, although I have to say that when locking them in and unlocking them, it does feel like it might not be very sturdy and long lasting. So now, onto the main problem. How on earth do you know what 200mls or 240mls or 40mls looks like when measuring it into a cup? I have to say that I actually measured out these amounts in a jug and put them into the cups I am able to use with the machine to see how far up the liquid came before actually making the drink proper! But who needs all that palaver? Added to that, every variety seems to require different amounts, so you can't really get used to it. Then, I was tempted to buy the pod holders from the website, so that I could just throw all my pods into a pretty looking container and select as I go....... BUT, I am so glad I didn't, because I found that the pods themselves don't have the amount of liquid printed on them anywhere..... So you really need to keep them in their boxes, where the amounts are printed on the box lid.

All in all, I'm disappointed with this machine. It seems to have been designed purely to be pleasing to the eye, not to be practical to use. It needs to have an automatic measure for the water, the water tank should be easier to use, and the pods need to have information printed on them. It's also quite cheap plastic and not the sturdy machine I was expecting. I suppose it's not the most expensive machine, so perhaps I was expecting too much, but I was disappointed.

The one positive, I ordered boxes of various pods from the website and the service and delivery times were great.

Galt Toys B Glam Fashion Designer Studio
Galt Toys B Glam Fashion Designer Studio
Price: 5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Galt Glam Fashion Design Studio, 30 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I can't fault this little gem of a kit. It's designed so it's a trendy folder/portfolio for your work, and is jam packed with great stuff to make some truly cool designs. There's a pad of 'model' silhouettes for you to dress up, and some great stencils for different garments and accessories. Then there's a huge selection of different design papers for you to mix and match to make your garments from. Also included are sheets of stickers to further embellish your designs. This is a great kit for budding fashion designers, and add a pair of scissors and this can be a perfect travel toy too.

Love at First Stitch: Demystifying Dressmaking
Love at First Stitch: Demystifying Dressmaking
by Tilly Walnes
Price: 13.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Love at First Stitch: Demystifying Dressmaking, 30 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is absolutely great for the beginner seamstress. I'm guessing that it is aimed at younger females as the patterns included aren't really to everyone's taste. Having said that, it's great that patterns are included so that you can instantly get on with the practical exercises in the book. I'm quite a seasoned crafter myself, and got this book mainly to help my daughter, who is keen to join the ever growing trend for making your own clothes. It's a great book, showing even the true novice how to get going. It even has a great section showing how to set up and thread sewing machines, which I found impressive. All in all, it's a really handy starting place. It would be great if it had a variety of projects though... Maybe children's clothes?

The Ploughmen
The Ploughmen
by Kim Zupan
Price: 10.49

3.0 out of 5 stars The Ploughmen, 30 July 2014
This review is from: The Ploughmen (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is well written, original and the story cleverly told to make the relationship that grows between policeman and convict believable. But it is very, very dark and depressing for the most part, making it seem like a never ending read! It's not a light hearted read by any stretch of the imagination, so I'd only recommend it if you're prepared for a bit of a depressing tale!

Rapesco Stapler, Heavy Duty Stapler Zero-01
Rapesco Stapler, Heavy Duty Stapler Zero-01
Price: 27.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Rapesco Stapler, 30 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I never thought I'd rave so much about a stapler, but this one is something rather special. It's very sturdy and looks really cool. It takes different sized staples for different types of jobs, and it really does the jobs well. I think you'd definitely need to write your name on this in permanent marker if you were just leaving this on your desk in the office.... I can imagine it being 'lost' quite quickly!!! All in all, great value for a classy product.

Regulation 19 (Deadlock)
Regulation 19 (Deadlock)
Price: 2.41

4.0 out of 5 stars Regulation 19, 29 July 2014
Really enjoyed this book. I did get a bit confused in the middle, when things were starting to be explained about the outside world....but I soon caught up! The book reminds me a little of the Wayward Pines series and a little of The Diary of the Displaced books, but it's still original and unique. Looking forward to book two.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20