Profile for AmyV > Reviews

Content by AmyV

AmyV "jengaka57"

Pokmon Black Version (Nintendo DS)
Pokmon Black Version (Nintendo DS)
Offered by smeikalbooks
Price: 12.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth waiting for, 31 Mar 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review relates to both Pokemon Black and Pokemon White.

This revamp of the game was definately worth waiting for. Overall I love it. It sticks with the familiar adventure format of previous generations which is comforting. You're a young trainer enlisted by Professor Juniper to help her research Pokemon by filling in a Pokedex. You have 2 friends (rather than 1 like in the most recent previous generations) who are also compiling a Pokedex who you meet with frequently throughout your journey. You chose one starter Pokemon, either Fire, Water, or Grass type, and gradually travel through the Unova region battling gym leaders and striving to become the Champion.

Compared to previous generations, Black and White has a slightly higher level of graphics which is great. The cities and buildings feel more 3-dimensional with added effects such as zooming in on buildings and the camera panning and rotating as you walk. There are some nice additions to the game play too. TMs can be used and reused, an aspect I like but perhaps makes the game slightly easier than previous versions. There are also fewer HMs which is a plus for me. You can have double battles in the wild and also triple trainer battles. There is also a new type of battle called rotation battles which doesn't come up all that frequently but is an interesting addition. There are also a number of additions incorporating WiFi such as new ways to battle and trade but for me personally this is not an aspect of the game that I have explored. In any case these are optional extras and are not incorportated into the main adventure.

This games eliminates aspects from previous generations which I personally think is an improvement - your mum doesn't call you all the time and other trainers aren't always asking for your number. The best part of the game by far, for me at least, is the new region and the new pokemon. When you're playing the game for the first time it's so interesting for every pokemon you come across to be new and it also adds a level of challenge to the game, not knowing what type the pokemon is and what it's strengths and weaknesses are when going into battle. The new region is also great to explore and has some fun new aspects such as the bustling city with high-rises and city workers.

The only dissapointment for me has been with the graphics. The creators have obviously tried to up the level of the graphics in line with the new DSi and DSiXL capabilities and with some aspects, such as those mentioned above, it works great. However, they could have done a lot more with the graphics, and some of what they have done, doesn't really work. In line with this one of the biggest annoyances for me when playing the game is with the graphics in the battles. During battles in Black and White the Pokemon aren't static, they move slightly - a fixed movement that they repeat - and the camera moves around them - it zooms in when they are hit etc. For me this makes the battle too 'busy' and actually makes it just a little annoying. Also the quality of the graphics in general in the battles, seem to me, just not very good. When you throw a pokeball into battle the pokemon emerges halfway up the screen in the distance slightly, in great quality. Then the camera 'zooms in' and the pokemon is then at the front of the screen towards the left (as with previous generations) but the image is heavily pixelated, because it's zoomed in. The quality is significantly worse than in previous games, which I find, confusing to say the least, when the creators have clearly put so much effort into bringing this generation 'up to date' with the graphics.

With that aside, I do love this game and am looking forward to giving it a second go. For anyone who has played and enjoyed pokemon in past, particularly earlier generations, this is a great game to come back to the series with. It's very hard not to enjoy this game.

Catching Tales
Catching Tales
Offered by Dirty Deals UK
Price: 5.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Thank goodness he pulled it off!, 7 Oct 2005
This review is from: Catching Tales (Audio CD)
I was blown away the first time I heard Jamie Cullum's 'Twentysomething' and had great hopes and expectations for this new album. The first play left me utterly disappointed. It sounded so different to the JC sound I loved. Where were the slow ballads, sympathetic cover versions and piano slapping catchy originals? But most of all, where was the jazz? However, after a second listen and a third and a forth, I have grown to love 'Catching Tales' almost as much as 'Twentysomething'. After I gave it a chance I think I began to hear what JC intended with this album. Its an eclectic mix of what I would describe as 'pop' songs, the odd ballad, the odd cover, and best of all the JC originals that stick in your head all day. My favourites have to be 'London Skies' and 'Catch the Sun' but I cannot fault any track on this album.
I don't think it's jazz, but then that isn't why I bought the last album I don't think it matters with this one. His voice is intoxicating and the tunes I can't get out of my head. I would definately recommend this CD to anyone who loved 'Twentysomething' as much as I did and is open to JC developing his style. I'm glad I gave 'Catching Tales' a chance. All music lovers should.

The X Files: Season 8 [VHS]
The X Files: Season 8 [VHS]
VHS

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a very good season, 22 April 2002
This season is definately the worst out all of them. The best episodes are the ones with David Duchovny in at the beginning, other than that, they're all too unbelievable, with nconsistant characters - especially Scully. Is you want a good season on Box Set get series 5 or 6, my favourites!

Lord of the Flies: Educational Edition
Lord of the Flies: Educational Edition
by William Golding
Price: 6.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing yet brilliantly written, 30 Nov 2001
This is a compelling novel, despite the content which is disturbing but true. Golding has turned young innocent children into animalistic savages, with stunning imagery and language that we have come to expect from him.
This edition is particually useful for anyone studying Lord of the Flies at school or college. The introductiion is very worth reading, giving background and insight into the book, helping with understanding of the plot and symbolism. The notes in the back are also interesting, explaining Goldings neologism "flinked" as well as most other points of interest in the novel. Highly recommended!