Profile for Rudi Rednose > Reviews

Content by Rudi Rednose

Rudi Rednose "Rudi" (Surrey, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Toshiba 22BL702B 22-inch Widescreen Full HD LED TV with Freeview (Old model)
Toshiba 22BL702B 22-inch Widescreen Full HD LED TV with Freeview (Old model)

3.0 out of 5 stars Does not receive the Freeview HD channels, 1 Jan 2014
Sound quality is poor, but you get used to it. In spite of it being sold as "Full HD" the tuner does not seem to receive the new Freeview HD channels, which is disappointing. What good is a HD screen if it can't receive a HD program? I have re-scanned all channels frequently without finding a HD channel.

Trust Isotto Wireless Mini Optical Mouse 17233
Trust Isotto Wireless Mini Optical Mouse 17233
Offered by Buyway Online
Price: 8.96

4.0 out of 5 stars well built, 1 Jan 2014
Battery live is excellent. I am carrying this around in my laptop bag which has resulted in a short lifespan for other models.This one is holding up now for more than a year on the first set of batteries.

SoundMAGIC E10M Isolating Earphones with Apple Mic - Black/Silver
SoundMAGIC E10M Isolating Earphones with Apple Mic - Black/Silver

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound!, 1 Jan 2014
These phones appear to be well built and sound quality is excellent. In-line controls can be used on my Android phone ((HTC Desire) to switch from listening music to receiving an incoming call. They can't be used to control volume or hang up after a call.

HTC Desire Battery
HTC Desire Battery

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 1 Jan 2014
This review is from: HTC Desire Battery (Accessory)
After 5 years of heavy use my original battery ran flat after 3-4 phone calls.This replacement rectified the problem. Sticking with an older Android phone gives you a lot more options than on the newer models: you can switch to another battery saving you having to carry a heavy recharging pack, you can get up to 64GB storage on exchangeable micro sd cards. Most of the flashy new models don't offer those options, so I will not switch!

4 X BTY Ni-MH AA 3000mAh 1.2V Rechargeable Battery #2
4 X BTY Ni-MH AA 3000mAh 1.2V Rechargeable Battery #2

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good value, but looses charge quickly, 1 Mar 2013
These batteries are very good if you use them 1-2 days after charging. In common with similar batteries, the higher the capacity the faster they auto-discharge.

BestDealUK Contax Yashica CY Mount Lens To Nikon 1 Adapter Ring For J1 V1 Focusing Infinity
Offered by Ultra Sales Global (7-23 Business Day Delivery Time)
Price: 12.44

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work on Nikon J2 camera, 1 Mar 2013
I bought this adaptor to use my old Zeiss Contax lenses on a modern digital camera. The lens mounted without problems to the camera, but pictures can not be taken. As there are no electrical connections in the lens mount, the camera flashes up an error message " Mount a lens. Pictures can not be taken without a lens mounted."
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 31, 2014 11:45 AM BST

TP-Link TL-WA701ND 150 Mbps Wireless N Access Point - Version 2.0
TP-Link TL-WA701ND 150 Mbps Wireless N Access Point - Version 2.0
Offered by E W Link Co Ltd.
Price: 23.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Careful Positioning required, 2 Feb 2012
I have bought this item to use as a range extender for my Wi-Fi network into an area of the house where reception was poor. Installation as Universal Repeater was quite simple and straightforward, but the TP link failed after about a day. I exchanged it for a replacement, which again failed after a day. I then spent the next 4 days on the phone with technical support, which is provided from China with poor line quality and sometimes impossible to understand ("wireless statistics"), and experimenting with different settings and wireless routers. The Chinese girls in tech support appear not particularly knowledgeable, they just talk you through a cookbook recipe to connect. When it became clear that there was a problem, they told me that my router was "incompatible" with the TP-link. In the end I succeeded to get a stable connection by placing the TP-link in a different location in the same room. It appears that if the connection between the TP-link and the router is poor, it will work for a while (1-2 days), but eventually it gets confused, usually during a period of low or no activity (night). In this condition it still gives off a strong signal, but shows up as "Open Network" even so it is WPA-PSK protected. In this state wi-fi connection is no longer possible, and the T-link has to be reset and re-setup to get a connection back. Sometimes switching the power off and on helps. I used Wi-Fi analyser software on my Android phone to find an alternative location for the TP-link where signal strength was between -80 and -90dBM, and since I relocated it there, I did not have a problem any more. The previous location had a signal strength below -90 dBM. Moving through the house with my mobile phone, I can see the changes in signal strength of my router, the TP-link and neighbours routers and I can see my phone connecting to the stronger signal on my network. This is quite useful to select your channel and to place your equipment.TP-Link TL-WA701ND 150Mbps Wireless Lite N Access Point
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 25, 2012 10:48 AM BST

FREEVIEW Mini Digital TV DVB-T SCART TV Tuner Receiver Box
FREEVIEW Mini Digital TV DVB-T SCART TV Tuner Receiver Box

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but not quite faultless,, 11 Nov 2011
I previously had tried out the Premier AV TV 1108 V-SD, also being sold by Amazon. Both units I owned locked up frequently and recording was only successful in 20-30% of the cases because the units seemed to change channels and switch off randomly the timer settings. These faults occurred on both units I tried (I exchanged the first one for another unit). I believe the Premier and the DVB-T, for which this review has been written, come from the same factory in China: the packaging uses identical cardboard boxes and the remote controls are also identical.
Set up and basic use as a digital tuner is very simple, as is manual recording: press the start button to record, press stop and confirm to end recording. To program recording from the EPG, press the EPG button, navigate to the event you want to record using the 4 navigation buttons, press the red button at the bottom to open the recording memory, check/edit the settings, for example change settings to daily or weekly recording, confirm with "OK" button, watch out for confirmation notice and a red dot marking the approved setting and exit. If you are accidentally trying to record two overlapping events you don't get a confirmation notice and red dot marking. The unit will now record at the set date and time and stop recording as programmed. If there are unscheduled changes due to breaking news or time overruns on live programs (Strictly come dancing), you will loose the end of your recorded film. This can be avoided if you change the settings manually to record an extra 5 minutes or so while the recording timer memory is open, i.e. before confirming the settings.
The DVB-T has 10 recording memory spaces in non-volatile memory, as compared to 8 on the Premier. "Volatile" means if the power supply is disrupted even for a short time all recording settings are erased, this is not the case with this recorder if the internal batteries have been charged for a while (see below). The software on the DVB-T has been somewhat improved, I was able to record events from the EPG a few days in advance, the Premier does this only for events on the same day. The users manual is still completely worthless, with a lot of unreadable small screen pictures and very poor text. Delivery was directly from China and took about 3 weeks, not the usual few days as for a normal Amazon delivery. One annoying problem that I was unable to resolve is the fact that the unit very, very frequently switches itself off if you press any of the buttons on the remote control. This happens about every 2-3 minutes when using the remote control to set recordings, change channels etc. Every time this happens you have to switch on the unit again using the remote control, and repeat whatever menu entries that have not been saved before the unit switched off. The unit even switches sometimes to a different country setting, which means you have to re-scan all channels and change all TV set up settings back to UK. Once recording settings have been saved, recording is reliable as long as the USB stick has been properly inserted. I always do now a short trial recording, which I erase immediately to check that everything works OK.I have tried daily and weekly recording, and it works fine. Antenna signal is now passed through to the analogue tuner of my TV, even if the unit is switched off/standby. On the Premier you had to switch the unit on to get an analogue signal. Recording quality is excellent, but long films get recorded in two separate files which I merge on my computer using "VideoReDo Plus", an excellent program which I highly recommend. It preserves the original MPEG file when editing (merging files, removing advertising, trimming front and back), which makes it very quick and the result is better than using any of the other available editing programmes such as Nero etc. which recode the entire file, resulting in quality loss and increased file sizes. Subtitles seem to work, but I have not tried the BBC red button function, which is a separate channel. Digital radio channels work fine, but I have not tried to record, don't see the point of it either. One hour of video recording takes 1.43 GB memory space. I have bought a 32 GB USB stick on Amazon ( 17)which provides amble recording space, even while away for a few days. My DVB-T has not locked up so far (1 week usage), but as mentioned it constantly switches off when using the remote control. Overall I would rate it higher than the Premier units I owned before ( I returned both for a refund both because I got fed up with the poor recording function and freezing up). There is certainly some room for improvement, here is my wish list: Resolve the problem with the unit constantly switching itself off, make the unit recognize when a specific transmission starts and stops, rather than simply switching on and off at a programmed time. My old analogue VCR had such a function. Provide a usable user's manual.

Forgot to mention one important item: The time shift option works on this recorder as long as the function has been switched on in the recorder settings first. You need to do this only once as part of the general setup. Recommend you set timeshift to "button" rather than "automatic". It will record everything you are watching if set to automatic, in "button" it only records if you press the "Pause" button. If you are watching live TV and the phone rings or the doorbell goes, just press the "Pause" button. When you return to the TV, just press the Pause button again, and TV will resume where you stopped it, as long as you had a storage medium inserted. The DVB-T selects about 1/3 of the available space for the time-shift function, and you can't manually change that selection. Pressing the "exit" button gets you out of the time shift mode. I found this a very useful function, I tried it on the Premier as well, but could not get it to work there, which could be due to the lack of a useable manual in both cases.
P.S.: After about a month of usage I have to give this recorder a better rating.Recording and TV image quality is excellent, with small file sizes. We recently had a series of short power cuts in the area while I was recording a film. To my amazement the recording timer settings had been preserved and the film had been recorded, starting in a different file after each power cut. This was easily merged using the program "VideoReDo Plus" and the result was quite useable. If I had connected the recorder to a small UIP, all of the film would have been recorded. If the switching off problem could be resolved I would give this recorder 5 stars, but as it is I would give it 4 1/2. A very impressive piece of equipment for an excellent price, which I can highly recommend. Wonder if a HD version of this product might become available in the future?

Premier AV TV-1108V-SD Mini SCART Freeview Receiver with Recording via USB Flash Memory StickEVODIGITALS SCART FREEVIEW RECEIVER RECORDER DIGITAL TV TUNER SET TOP BOX USB SD MEMORY CARD READERDVB-T SCART Mini TV Box Freeview Receiver Tuner RecorderBytestor 32GB USB Maxi Flash Drive

Price: 17.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Freezes up and recording function does not work reliably, 31 Oct 2011
I have tried out two identical units, returning the first one for an exchange in the hope that I might have got a faulty unit. Both units showed consistently the same faults: They frequently were freezing up, (about once a day). If that happened, the TV could not be used as the antenna signal pass-through only works when the unit is on. If a recording was programmed, this obviously did not work either. Recording worked if the recording and stop buttons were pressed manually. Programming via the built in timer worked sometimes, i.e. results were completely unpredictable/unreliable. The unit switched programmed recording settings off before the recording took placePremier AV TV-1108V-SD Mini SCART Freeview Receiver with Recording via USB Flash Memory Stick
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 27, 2012 3:37 PM GMT

32GB SanDisk microSDHC
32GB SanDisk microSDHC
Offered by Choice Stationery Supplies Limited
Price: 18.02

4.0 out of 5 stars No Fake, 5 Dec 2010
This review is from: 32GB SanDisk microSDHC (Accessory)
I needed a 32 GB micro SDHC card for my new phone. I tried ebay first and lost money on some really cheap deals. The card I received from ebay had a capacity of 1 GB, and had some special software installed that made the card look like it had the full 32 GB capacity! Ebays buyer protection does not work if the cost of returning an item to China by courier (trackable delivery is required according to their terms and conditions!) is significantly more expensive then what you paid for the item. I had an extensive email exchange with both ebay and paypal, but could have saved my time, ebay does NOT seem to be willing to weed out fraudulent sellers from China, who are selling non-working, criminal fakes.
After more than a month of trying to solve the situation I finally purchased this card from Amazon, and it tested out OK and works fine. It's a bit more expensive then the fraudulent offers on ebay, but at least you are certain not to waste your time and money.Sandisk 32GB MicroSD Card

Page: 1 | 2