Profile for JEr > Reviews

JEr

Paul Hollywood's Bread
Paul Hollywood's Bread
by Paul Hollywood

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear...there is no proper bread even in the sight..., 23 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Paul Hollywood's Bread (Hardcover)
I was given this book as a freebie but I gave it straight away to the charity shop without even attempting even a single recipe.
First of all, I don't know why this book is called "Bread" as it has perhaps more recipes of different condiments rather than bread recipes.
Secondly, I was really surprised that this sort of book is from renown artisan baker. Every amateur baker who got interested in artisan bread ever, knows how complex bread making is. In order to achieve a good tasting loaf at home it takes more than 2-3 hours (normally at least 2 days) as long fermentation is the key. Otherwise why bother, much easier to get bread from the supermarket where it was baked from frozen.
So if you a beginner in bread making, buy it, otherwise get yourself some serious stuff written by Ben Forkish or Dan Lepard.
Happy baking to everyone!

Flour Water Salt Yeast: The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza
Flour Water Salt Yeast: The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza
by Ken Forkish

5.0 out of 5 stars The best bread making book I ever owned, 21 April 2013
This book is a must for everyone who wants a top notch loaf at home! Believe me your bread would stand up against those sold in the best bakeries anywhere!
I have decided to write a review after reading some bad reviews about this book on the US Amazon. Someone said that the book is too personal and the author dedicated too much of it to his personal details and life. I personally loved that particular chapter as it made me think about bread beyond just as a food. Anyone who is looking just for new easy bread recipes don't bother buying it. This books offers you complete artisan baking education with a collection of recipes for fabulous breads and pizzas, as well as very precise instructions. I would say this book is for someone who is interested not just in perfect results but in the process as well! I thought that I was quite an experienced amateur baker, but this book opened up a completely new world of baking to me and made me understand that to produce a decent loaf from thousands of fancy ingredients is not difficult. To make gorgeous looking and tasting bread using just water, flour, salt and yeast- this is a challenge and an art! I would say it's no less important and magical than in wine making.
My first attempt was white bread with poolish, which is an overnight pre-ferment. It was quite challenging as it is tricky to handle a wet dough but the results exceeded my expectations - perhaps it is the best loaf I have ever made.
Cannot wait to test all these recipes!

Weekend Baking
Weekend Baking
by Sarah Randell

5.0 out of 5 stars delicious, 4 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Weekend Baking (Hardcover)
One of my favourite baking books for relaxed home baking.
Haven't found a recipe in this book so far which was a disappointment.
One of those rare cookery books where there is a temptation to try all recipes.

Home Cooking Made Easy
Home Cooking Made Easy
by Lorraine Pascale

5.0 out of 5 stars spot on, 4 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Home Cooking Made Easy (Hardcover)
Well done Lorraine! Had pre-orded this book before it was released and it wasn't a disappointment. Very straight forward, without any fuss like some of the TV chefs.
Book is divided into sections - starters, breads, mains,desserts etc. and in this book Lorraine presents more savoury recipes than in the first one. Have tried some recipes already, everyone loved them.
Although some recipes require some skills e.g. in the chocolate cheesecake recipe base with the filling cannot be too cold in order to keep chocolate topping at the right temperature for feathering, otherwise it may start to set instantly ), all together the book is spot on and cannot wait to crack on with other recipes!