Profile for luckykz > Reviews

luckykz (Oakland)

Procol Harum, 40th Anniversary Edition
Procol Harum, 40th Anniversary Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars yet again, 4 Jun 2009
After I ordered the first four procol harum 40th anniversary cds on amazon uk (i'm in north california), then seeing three (!) previous versions on my music shelf, i wondered if i'd lost my mind. outside of buying kind of blue as many times, i'm hard pressed to keep rebuying the second or third "remasterings" of masterpieces these days. that said, i noticed that the first procol album (along with the other three) had been resurrected and resussitated by the same outfit that reissued shazam by the move (another disc that i also bought thrice). with shazam, salvo did a first class job not only on the art work and the liner notes (lots of fresh information), but the sound was absolutely shimmering, stunning. so i figured, what the hay, i pressed the order button and viola, three days later, the package was on my porch. first off, i never realized that the release of the first procol album in the usa preceeded the uk release by nearly six months. i remember it being the "album of the week" at my faux-underground AM station, so off to the store i went. i think i paid $1.99 for my first copy. it was the mono/reprocessed version, flat cardboard cover, cryptic drawing on the front, yet the songs were so amazing and so timeless, it didn't matter. they transcended their own technical limitations. anyway, this is a package that's lovingly assembled, just as strong as shazam. while the album trax proper are in mono (i'm no mono purist), it still sounds wonderful. the bonus tracks (a concept that usually scares me) are a wonder, particularly when the disc signs off with three stunning stereo mixes of "Conquistador," "Garden Fence" and (oh my gawd!) "Homburg." if you're a youngster who has yet to hear this miraculous release, i envy you. if you think you've heard it all as far as this classic release on previous incarnations, you're wrong. after buying three different versions (not counting the original vinyl purchase), this is heads above the finest. and if the folks at the label choose to remix the remaining original album tracks in stereo and release it as such, i just might buy it for a fifth time! it's that good, or i'm just that foolish.

Shazam
Shazam

5.0 out of 5 stars Stellar, 20 Oct 2007
This review is from: Shazam (Audio CD)
Greetings from the states. Man, I almost missed out on this release listening to that knucklehead reviewing the wrong disc. As a kid in America, thanks to Rolling Stone, I bought Shazam, partly because it was on A&M, a label (formerly) known for its quality and adventurous spirit. Stateside, Shazam did zilch, but not in my household. I've been buying CD versions (japanese and reissues) out of love ever since. Finally a friend of mine put me straight, and when I cracked this version open, I was stunned by the quality. While I'm as bored as the rest of you buying and rebuying classic favorites, this one is nestled near the top of the list. The drums sounds, guitars, and vocals are amazing. The liner notes are informative. It's a miracle the music didn't reflect the flux that was happening inside of the band. BTW, I've always wondered, on "Fields of People," who Carl Wayne is talking to and laughing with. I won't spoil it for you because the answer lies within. Thanks to this label (who also released the JD Souther comp) for doing such a loving job of reissuing Shazam. And, once again, don't listen to that yabbo who has his head up his you-know-what raving about compression. I believe another keen reviewer put him straight.

Kill To Get Crimson (CD&DVD)
Kill To Get Crimson (CD&DVD)
Price: 17.99

2.0 out of 5 stars No surround mix...bummer, 20 Oct 2007
Unlike the deluxe versions of Sailing to Philadelphia and Shangri-La, the DVD package here doesn't contain a surround mix, so warning, don't order it thinking it's included on the DVD menu. I didn't realize this before ordering. All you get is a documentary and not a DVD-audio version of the album. Boo hoo. My bad. P.S. Musically, Crimson doesn't have the muscle of MK's previous solo fare.