Profile for Miss syed > Reviews

Baba's Gift
Baba's Gift
by Beverley Naidoo

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect, 28 Nov 2012
This review is from: Baba's Gift (Paperback)
A beautiful, uncomplicated story about 2 children on a visit to the sea, somewhere in South Africa (?). One of my childrens' favourite bedtime reads.

Stephen Biesty's Castles
Stephen Biesty's Castles
by Meredith Hooper

5.0 out of 5 stars a gem of a book, 18 May 2011
We borrowed this book from the library and will definitely be purchasing a copy. My 7 year old was engrossed with each castle and each story. The authors have selected a number of the most famous castles from around the world, they have presented them in immaculate cross-section (that Biesty is renowned for) and accompanying each picture is an intriguing tale from history which offers some insight into the castle's history.
This book would be an excellent starting point for history lessons at home. Beautifully illustrated and very well-told stories.

The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me
The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me
by Roald Dahl

5.0 out of 5 stars ingenious, 17 Sep 2007
Maybe i live a sheltered life but this has to be one of the best kid's books ever written. I wonder whether Mr. Dahl was a madman or a genious. I got this for my 4 year old and as much as he enjoyed it, I think the real treat was for me the mum. This book must have passed me by when i was a child but I shall make sure I recommend it to all of my friends (and their children of course).

From My Sisters' Lips
From My Sisters' Lips
by Na'ima B Robert

4.0 out of 5 stars A must for anyone intrigued by Islam!, 3 Jun 2005
This review is from: From My Sisters' Lips (Paperback)
This book was an excellent find! I'm so glad that someone has finally put across our side of the story as Muslim women and as reverts in such a concise and articulate way. The author tackles all of the meaty topics that the non-Muslims always ask about Islam and presents the Islamic faith as something rational and beautiful but also as something challenging.
In defense of the author (in reference to the above review), she has taken on an enormous challenge in writing a book about Muslim women and a book can only be so long. I found the book extremely comprehensive and I don't think it would do justice to subjects such as FGM to give it a couple of pages, rather those issues need a separate book altogether. She also mentions at the beginning that these stories only represent a slice of the Muslim woman experience.It cannot be expected of one author to represent every type of Muslim woman out there.
In summary a brilliant effort. For anyone who knows someone interested in Islam and in women's issues in particular then this is a great place to start. The author knows where the Western reader is coming from and the style of this book caters fully for that readership.