Profile for M. Simmonds > Reviews

M. Simmonds (London)

Bose QuietComfort 25 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones - Black
Bose QuietComfort 25 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Initial Reaction, 10 Mar. 2016
Took possession of a pair of these just yesterday. I put them on in the office with no music coming through, and the world around me just disappeared. That’s a slight exaggeration as I could hear a female voice in the distance, but it is fair to say that background noise was reduced by about 80%. Used them this morning on my train commute too. Again the world was blocked out with just a hint of sound creeping in from fast passing trains and intercom announcements. With music on, this is barely noticeable.
You only have to switch the mechanism to temporarily disable the sound cancellation to see how effective it is.

The music reproduction quality is very clear indeed. I won’t pretend that it knocked me out, as I have other standard Bose headphones which sound great too (in quiet environments) but with the noise cancellation on, I can’t imagine a better overall result.

So plenty of plusses there. On the down side, don’t try walking the streets in them. Whilst they cut out traffic and general city noises brilliantly, you get to hear your footsteps very prominently indeed. So much so that if you can’t walk in rhythm to the music, then they are unusable in that circumstance. This is not unique to this model and other closed headphones suffer similarly.

As for comfort, I’ve no complaints but contrary to other reviews I’ve read, I am certainly aware of having them on. It’s probably as good as I’ve ever worn but don’t go expecting miracles. By necessity they have some weight to them which is a trade-off for the functionality. For the money, they are not perfect but probably as good as it’s possible to get right now. They are a different experience and I’ve only had then for one day so maybe it’s something I’ll get used to. (I’m flying at the weekend so watch this space!)

Oh and by the way, in order to keep my job, I’ve had to give work colleagues permission to throw something at me if they need to speak to me!

AKAI EIE audio/MIDI interface with USB hub
AKAI EIE audio/MIDI interface with USB hub

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, 26 Jan. 2015
Contrary to a few confusing reviews I had seen, it is possible to record 4 separate tracks simultaneously with this unit. It worked as a plug and play using GarageBand via the MAC, although it took me a while to figure out how to assign the various tracks to separate input channels. The book of instructions doesn't cover this at all, and more to the point neither does Apple's documentation with GarageBand X. As ever the answer is on YouTube!
For the money this is a very good value as regards functionality, appearance and quality. Very impressed.

The World's Fastest Indian [DVD]
The World's Fastest Indian [DVD]
Dvd ~ Anthony Hopkins
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

4.0 out of 5 stars A surprisingly good film, 21 Sept. 2006
Put this on at the weekend expecting at best that it would pass a post x factor saturday evening. Turns out that the film was stunning at all sorts of levels. We really enjoyed it. Certainly a return to form for Hopkins and a real feel good experience.

The Count of Monte Cristo (Wordsworth Classics)
The Count of Monte Cristo (Wordsworth Classics)
by Alexandre Dumas

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the wait!, 21 Sept. 2000
When I was ten years old, I recall a teacher at my junior school telling a class of boys just on their way to play football about a book that he'd just read. He called "The Count of Monte Cristo" a fantastic adventure story that had everything in it. I recall making a mental note to read the book as soon as I had a chance. Well, I hit 40 this year and I finally kept my pledge. After 30 years, I can honestly say that it was worth the wait. The opening 300 pages was as good as anything I have read, and the final 300 ties everything together wonderfully well. Perhaps there is a middle section where the pace slows down just a little too much, but the overall impression is one of perfect balance. It's quite likely that my old teacher is no longer with us, but as with Edmond Dantes, his legacy lives on in at least one thankfull mind.