Profile for The Collector > Reviews

Content by The Collector

The Collector (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Mussolini: His Part in My Downfall (Milligan Memoirs 4)
Mussolini: His Part in My Downfall (Milligan Memoirs 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars I had to stop reading it on the bus!, 22 April 2014
Hilarious!
I liked Spike Milligan but hadn't read any of his books, This book is wonderful. I literally laughed aloud, so much so that I had to stop reading it on the bus on my way to and from work.

Twelve Years a Slave
Twelve Years a Slave

1.0 out of 5 stars I probably won't be very popular for sayin this but ...!, 7 April 2014
I gave up on this book after after maybe a dozen pages. The language is stilted and it's obvious Solomon is uncomfortable with the style. It gets in the way of trying to build a picture of what Solomon Nortup was really like. He would have been much better writing in a more everyday language
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 2, 2014 6:45 PM BST

Amir Khan: A Boy from Bolton: My Story
Amir Khan: A Boy from Bolton: My Story
by Amir Khan

3.0 out of 5 stars Khan is interesting but no-one can accuse him of modesty!, 7 April 2014
It's interesting but it would be much more so if the editor had toned down his obvious self-obsession. I got tired of reading how great he is and how well he's done etc. It wouldn't have taken much to edit this.

The Rosie Project: by Graeme Simsion -- Sidekick
The Rosie Project: by Graeme Simsion -- Sidekick

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like the tv series 'The Big Bang Theory', you'll love this!, 16 Mar 2014
If you like the tv series 'The Big Bang Theory', you'll love this! It's the story of a geeky scientist whose life is governed by routines (such having certain meals on certain days, going to bed at certain times etc.). As soon as his routine is disrupted, e.g. by romance, his life is thrown into turmoil and his lack of social skills means that he doesn't so much interact with society as collide with it.
He decides, on the basis of a rational analysis of his situation, it's time to find a partner with often hilarious results.

The story is both heartwarming and very funny. I strongly recommend it.

The Classic Slum: Salford Life in the First Quarter of the Century
The Classic Slum: Salford Life in the First Quarter of the Century

5.0 out of 5 stars Social history made accessible and interesting, 12 Mar 2014
This book is a good piece of social history, written in a style that makes it accessible and interesting to a very wide audience.

It differs from those books which contain the ramblings of someone with false memory sysndrome. This book is based on the author's personal experience but he has taken the bother to carry out background research with which he has augmented it.

Apart from a general audience, it should compulsory reading for undergraduate social and economic history students.

Delonghi AC150 65 Watt Compact Air Purifier 4 Level Filtration and Ioniser - White/ Grey

3.0 out of 5 stars Quiet and Effective but quality is a bit lacking, 16 Feb 2014
We have five dogs and they produce a lot of dust and 'doggy smells' between them. When we go to work we leave this switched on and, when we get home, the air is free of odours.
When we're at home, it's so quiet that we soon forget it's even switched on.

UPDATE: the thin black film that covers the controls is flaking
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 9, 2014 11:12 AM GMT

Canon CL-541XL Colour Ink Cartridge
Canon CL-541XL Colour Ink Cartridge

5.0 out of 5 stars not much to say really, 16 Feb 2014
not much to say really. It provides the ink as promised and was delivered very promptly. The only criticism I can think of is the excessive packaging provided by the manufacturers.

The Ice Cream Girls
The Ice Cream Girls

5.0 out of 5 stars Briliant (although the title and cover illustration are misleading), 15 Feb 2014
When I saw the cover and the title I almost assumed this book was teen fiction. It's only because I know a bit about Dorothy Koomson that I read the reviews and it sounded interesting.

My only criticisms are that there were too many 'dead end' sub-plots - characters and themes that seemed interesting until, after some time, I realised it had dropped out of the story. It made the story a little confusing/

Nevertheless, it really is a gripping story with told from the perspectives of the three main characters whose accounts sometimes conflict and the reader gets drawn into the role of 'detective'.

At the risk of seeming picky, the book was in need of thorough proof reading!

Amir Khan (gr8reads)
Amir Khan (gr8reads)
by Andy Croft

1.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a 10 year old, 11 Feb 2014
This review is from: Amir Khan (gr8reads) (Paperback)
this is a children's book. There's nothing in the blurb to suggest this, but a quick glance at the pages shows large font and double spacing. Instead of photographs it has poor quality cartoons.

Magnum Stories
Magnum Stories
by Chris Boot

5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasure to look at, 23 Jan 2014
This review is from: Magnum Stories (Hardcover)
This is a fascinating book to look at (rather than read) It's the sort of book you dip into rather than read from page one forwards. Really, my only criticism is that it weighs a ton and, by virtue of its size and bulk it's impossible to read as you sit in an armchair. It would have been much better to divide it into two volumes and sell it as a boxed set.
It's still a remarkable piece of work.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14