Profile for Alison Hart > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Claude Michelet Omnibus: Firelight and Woodsmoke; Applewood; Scent of Herbs
Claude Michelet Omnibus: Firelight and Woodsmoke; Applewood; Scent of Herbs
by Claude Michelet

4.0 out of 5 stars ... in the Correze - so that added to my enjoyment of the book, 26 Aug 2014
I live in the limousin - though not in the Correze - so that added to my enjoyment of the book. I found the pace of the story faster in some parts than in others and, to be honest, didn't feel much empathy for many of the characters. It was interesting to read how farming and rural life changed over the decades as I think it was much the same round here - the commerces and services in decline and the population decreasing.

The Egg Cookbook: The Creative Farm-to-Table Guide to Cooking Fresh Eggs
The Egg Cookbook: The Creative Farm-to-Table Guide to Cooking Fresh Eggs

3.0 out of 5 stars This is a US cookbook so all recipes use US ..., 19 Aug 2014
This is a US cookbook so all recipes use US measures and ingredients. There is what seems to be a comprehensive set of instructions about most aspect of chicken keeping, egg production etc but nothing about storing the eggs the "right" way up. I Europe we don't store eggs in the fridge either. To me, the recipes were too basic.

Nescafé Dolce Gusto Cappuccino Ice, Pack of 3, 3 x 16 Capsules 24 Servings
Nescafé Dolce Gusto Cappuccino Ice, Pack of 3, 3 x 16 Capsules 24 Servings
Offered by SHOP 4 LESS

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 19 Aug 2014
Disappointing. Only a very weak coffee taste.

Tennyson's Gift
Tennyson's Gift
by Lynne Truss

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful romp!, 21 Jun 2014
This review is from: Tennyson's Gift (Paperback)
I've just worked my way through all of LT's books and think this was by far the best. I didn't know much about some of the characters but that hardly mattered! It read as a wonderful mixture of farce and misunderstanding with some clever pieces of fact and poetry woven in ( I especially loved the Dodgson;s "they told me you had been to her..." verses! Truss's writing style is clever, intelligent and above all witty. Some lines were pure "laugh-out-loud" Highle recommended!

Race for Trieste
Race for Trieste
by Geoffrey Cox

5.0 out of 5 stars well written and well updated, 7 Jun 2014
This review is from: Race for Trieste (Hardcover)
Very interesting how it was updated from the Road to Trieste as more evidence has come from the former Yugoslavia.

The Happy Hoofer
The Happy Hoofer
by Celia Imrie

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 5 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Happy Hoofer (Paperback)
I am a great fan of celia and was looking forward to reading this on the Kindle. Ok it had some interesting parts but too much read like a "famous people I have worked with ". I did eventually abandon it.

Every Man For Himself
Every Man For Himself
by Beryl Bainbridge

5.0 out of 5 stars An insight into a lost era, 25 Aug 2013
This review is from: Every Man For Himself (Paperback)
A wonderful book giving us a picture of the lives of a group of rich young men in their world where everyone knew or knew of everyone else. A good three quarters of the book in concerned with their time on board the Titanic before the disaster and it is more poignant since we know the boat will sink! Bainbridge includes tiny details that will become important when the boat is hit. Much has been written about the night but this book gives us an unique slant on it. Well worth a read.

Peaches for Monsieur le Curé (Chocolat 3)
Peaches for Monsieur le Curé (Chocolat 3)
by Joanne Harris

4.0 out of 5 stars an interesting third installment, 28 April 2013
I agree with other reviewers that maybe this should be the last in the Chocolat series. though I think we find here an older, wiser, more vulnerable and indeed more likeable Vianne. I think it stretches the imagination somewhat to think that this could happen in a small, rural, French village. The image of a mosque and minaret alongside the river seems almost unbelievable. But the story works and it held my interest. Numerous references to the previous two books mean that the three books really do need to be read in order.

A Dark Adapted Eye [1994]
A Dark Adapted Eye [1994]
Dvd ~ Helena Bonham Carter
Offered by somethinginmyeye

5.0 out of 5 stars an excellent adaptation, 27 Jan 2013
This review is from: A Dark Adapted Eye [1994] (DVD)
Cannot praise this enough. It is a faithful adaptation of an excellent novel. The casting is superb and the narration adds to the atmosphere and the slow build up to the "reveal". What a shame the BBC only televised three of BV's books way back in 1994. Time to adapt some more.....

Coastliners
Coastliners
by Joanne Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a struggle, 13 July 2012
This review is from: Coastliners (Paperback)
Thought I'd reread this as I remember not being especially taken with it first time round. It was still something of a struggle to persist with it; too many characters and not an environment I could really imagine or engage with. I couldn't empathise with the main characters - perhaps the nuns and the island priest were the most recognisable as real characters. It was useful that JH gave us a map of the island - without that I would have been pretty lost!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8