Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "greedoe" (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Next Day
The Next Day

4.0 out of 5 stars Didn't get it on first listening, 22 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Next Day (MP3 Download)
Some of the best albums are "slow burners" and this one fits the mould. I wasn't really sure what to expect on first listen. First album in ten years, would it be Reality Part 2 or did Bowie find something more inventive to say in the re-invention style of Diamond Dogs or Low?

It's not a reinvention, but it IS a very good album. There are elements here of Bowie past, it's like he's reviewed how he's done things over the last 40 years and just dropped a guitar lick here or a drum beat there from his past lives. There's snippets of Stevie Ray Vaughn guitar from the "Let's Dance" era and (scarily enough) a couple of songs really sound like they could fit in the "Never Let Me Down" era.

Thankfully he hasn't mined Tin Machine's "Stateside" for inspiration.

Standout tracks for me at the moment are current single "The Stars (Are Out Tonight)" and "(You Will) Set the World on Fire". (Never underestimate the power of the bracket in a song title)! Even debut single "Where Are We Now?" fits better in the context of the overall album - on first listen I felt it sounded too much like a brittle old man, but you quickly understand that was the feeling he was going for as opposed to the current state of things.

Bored with Prozac and the Internet?
Bored with Prozac and the Internet?

4.0 out of 5 stars It's not Duran but it's still awesome, 22 Mar. 2013
If you like thoughtful, deep experimental music this album is for you. The way Nick and Warren were able to weave the a tapestry around speech samples is excellent. This smacks more of Warren's solo material than anything Duran have released. I can't stop listening to it.

Swees® Aluminium Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard Stand Case / Cover for Apple New iPad 4 (with Retina display) / iPad 3 / iPad 2 - White

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it needs to do, 15 Jan. 2013
As a stand, my mum's iPad stood, as a bluetooth Keyboard, we were able to type with it and not have to use the hideous keyboard that comes with the iPad. It also acts as a nice case.

Overall I would recommend this.

Big Thing
Big Thing
Offered by rbmbooks

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 7 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Big Thing (Audio CD)
Two CDs and a DVD? Loads of bonus material, videos and a concert? This is simply awesome.

Thankfully this round of reissues wasn't plagued by EMI's "don't really care what we're doing" attitude that marred the 'Duran Duran' and 'Seven and the Ragged Tiger' releases.

The real jewel here for fans was the inclusion of two Justin Strauss remixes of "Big Thing" which was mooted as a single, but eventually abandoned (no doubt due to the "appalling" chart placement of third single "Do You Believe In Shame?") .

It's also nice to have the full version of b-side "I Believe / All I Need To Know" which was truncated when released on "All She Wants Is"

Overall a great purchase, loads of excellent music, a great concert and a couple of rarities to justify the outlay.

Déjà Vu (The Saskia Brandt Series Book One)
Déjà Vu (The Saskia Brandt Series Book One)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, 7 Jan. 2013
I really enjoyed Hocking's book. I guess the genre would be techno thriller, but I really felt the ghost of William Gibson and the cyberpunk genre looming in the wings as I read this. The amnesia angle was good and it was captivating trying to guess exactly what the situation was and who Saskia Brandt actually was.

I'm looking forward to reading both parts 2 and 3.

Ride (Photek Remix) [Explicit]
Ride (Photek Remix) [Explicit]

1.0 out of 5 stars Not very Photeky, 7 Jan. 2013
This popped up as a free download and I was curious to hear Photek's take on Lana Del Ray.

Having listened to the track I can't detect ANY hint of Photek at all. At the end of the day, it sounds like just a vanilla Lana Del Ray album cut..

An Itch to Scratch
An Itch to Scratch
by Damian Harvey

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 7 Jan. 2013
This review is from: An Itch to Scratch (Paperback)
My daughter absolutely loves this book. There's some actions that you can do with the tickly grass and the ants nipping at the Gorilla that make it really interactive.

This is actually a replacement for the first copy of the book, as that became more of a pamphlet through loss of pages, etc.

Thankfully the replacement was only a couple of quid.

Steve Jobs The Man Who Thought Different
Steve Jobs The Man Who Thought Different

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, 7 Jan. 2013
Try as I might, I still can't stop hating Steve Jobs. He may be this, he may be that, but at the end of the day I still see him as an angry, vindictive petty thief who will go out of his way to abuse and belittle people who do exactly what he does.

There's some interesting insights into his hygiene and how he managed to save Pixar (almost by accident), but the purpose of me reading this was to get a better idea of Jobs the man, and on that front I wish I hadn't read this as I dislike him even more now.

When the World Knows Your Name
When the World Knows Your Name

3.0 out of 5 stars Great album but I feel cheated, 11 Dec. 2012
It's excellent getting all this music, but the thing I love about deluxe editions is the packaging, the liner notes, etc.

These - plus the bonus DVD - are sadly missing from this release and I've found myself scouring the internet for scans of the missing pieces. Not exactly the best user experience when you're shelling out hard earned cash.

If it was a nothing album with nothing liner notes, I'd be fine.

On the music front, you can't fault it. You get the album plus almost all the tracks from the singles from the album. A great few hours of entertainment from the "coolest band that was never cool" (to paraphrase Classic Pop Magazine).
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 7, 2013 12:57 PM GMT

LAST ADMIN HERO
LAST ADMIN HERO
by Graham Pearce

4.0 out of 5 stars Great indy graphic novel read, 2 Nov. 2012
This review is from: LAST ADMIN HERO (Paperback)
Bought this from the author at a comic show in February. Great read and a decent price. Also got it autographed for no extra charge.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5