Profile for Je Whitehead > Reviews

Je Whitehead "silverthorn2151"

Nokia N6700 SIM-Free Mobile Phone - Chrome
Nokia N6700 SIM-Free Mobile Phone - Chrome

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous upgrade, 11 July 2009
As a recent owner of this, upgrading from my 6300 which I love, I'm so pleased I waited for the release of this phone.

The display does go into sleep quickly, which I think is a little odd to be fair, but not an inconvenience at all.

The display, sound and user menus are really quite excellent. Trouble is, as it's all chrome, I keep wiping my dirty fingerprints off the case. More a problem with my hands than the phone though.

Sitting side by side with my 6300 I can say that the keys on the 6700 are actually larger than the 6300. They are a different design, not being separate keys, but that's a case of getting used to it I suspect.

It's a great phone that does what a phone is supposed to do.

Dr Boondigga & The Big Bw
Dr Boondigga & The Big Bw

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't hesitate, buy this!, 18 Jun 2009
I have been following FFD for a few years now and been waiting for this to be released eagerly.

Boy was it worth the wait. Asked to describe it to friends I have had to say jazzy, souly and dubby, and each genre flows seamlessly and tightly.

If you like Based On A True Story you'll love this straight out of the box and it gets better with each play.

If you don't know FFD, then give them a go and if you get a chance, see them live. They have recreated the live feel on a studio album real well.

This is a fabulous album!

Solid Ground
Solid Ground

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply supurb, 8 Sep 2008
This review is from: Solid Ground (Audio CD)
A stunning new album!! I got into The Black Seeds following the discovery of Fat Freddys Drop and this is their best work IMHO.

Great tunes and all that I love in reggae and more. They sound tight and although a couple of the tracks sound a little laboured I think this is more the production than a lack of fluidity. There is even a hint of Radiohead in the vocals from time to time, but despite that (I hate Radiohead) the vocals soar.

Give this a go if you have not listened to them before and if you have, you'll love it!

Shrek The Third (Shrek 3) [DVD] (2007)
Shrek The Third (Shrek 3) [DVD] (2007)
Dvd ~ Mike Myers

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it, 14 July 2008
You know what, I watched this with my wife and older kids this weekend.

I loved it, and we laughed and laughed. This is not intended to be some worthy arthouse movie, it's a cartoon (kind of). There is a sublty to many scenes that the more cynical reviewers seem to have missed.

Sure I can see flaws in it, but they don't detract. I thought Merlin was terrific and the 'ladies in waiting', Cindarella, Snow White et al were well observed.

Try it, what do you have to lose???

Montmorency
Montmorency
by Eleanor Updale

4.0 out of 5 stars What a nice suprise., 9 Oct 2003
This review is from: Montmorency (Hardcover)
Having been persuaded to read a 'children's' book by my wife I found I could not put it down.
The language and style take you deep into the bowels, literally and figurativley, of Victorian London. Our hero moves from prison, through a life of crime into the upper reaches of society. This is not as corny or as predictable as most rags to riches tales and clearly leaves the path clear for future exploits.
The writing does not pander to it's definition as a book for children and describes the world richly and clearly. Greater length would give scope to develop some of the characters but the story is non the less compelling in spite of this.
All in all a most enjoyable read for kids, young and old.