Profile for Smot > Reviews

Content by Smot

Smot

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Anker® USB 3.0 7-Port Portable Aluminum Hub with 5V 4A Power Adapter and 3.3-Foot USB 3.0 Cable [VIA VL812 Chipset]
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 14 April 2015
Used to extend my XPS13 USB3 port when in the office - it does the job admirably.

Mobi Lock ® 3 in 1 Sim Card Adapter (Micro, Nano and Standard Sim)
Mobi Lock ® 3 in 1 Sim Card Adapter (Micro, Nano and Standard Sim)
Offered by Lock Sourcing Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked perfectly, 14 April 2015
I used this to allow a nano sim to be used in a standard sim phone while my HTC M8 went in for repairs.
It took a bit of fiddling to get everything level and lined up correctly, but once inserted, my old HTC phone worked perfectly.

Recommended.

The Legend of Lord Snooty and His Pals
The Legend of Lord Snooty and His Pals
by Dudley Watkins

5.0 out of 5 stars Another DDW masterpiece, 3 Mar. 2015
It's Dudley D Watkins - what more needs to be said? He's the best there is.

The Legend of Desperate Dan
The Legend of Desperate Dan
by D C Thomson

5.0 out of 5 stars DDW masterpiece, 3 Mar. 2015
It's Dudley D Watkins - what more needs to be said? He's the best there is.

MegaGear "Ever Ready" Protective Dark Brown Leather Camera Case, Bag for Canon Power Shot S120
Offered by MEGA WEST

2.0 out of 5 stars DIdn't fit my S120, 3 Mar. 2015
Returned as the base screw fitting didn't match the camera model (Canon S120). As one of the popper clips had come apart, I sent for a refund.
The actual item is very nice though - just a shame it was imperfect.
Five stars for the quick and painless refund process, one for the item - two overall.

The Dandy Annual 2015 (Annuals 2015)
The Dandy Annual 2015 (Annuals 2015)
by D.C.Thomson & Co Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, especially Corporal Clott, 3 Mar. 2015
Although I've been a comic lover since childhood, and have collected many over the years, very few have actually made me laugh out loud. But the first few panels of Corporal Clott in this annual did exactly that - it's a real gem.

The whole annual is great quality - the writing and artwork is superb, and a massive improvement over many annuals from the 1990's and 2000's.

Yes, it's for kids, but don't let that stop you from enjoying a couple of switch-off hours.

TOMTOM GO 400 EU
TOMTOM GO 400 EU
Offered by MadBuy

2.0 out of 5 stars If all you want is A to B, it's Ok-ish, 27 April 2014
This review is from: TOMTOM GO 400 EU (Electronics)
If you're reading this, you've probably also read many other reviews and have mixed feelings about making this purchase.

If you have a smartphone, my advice is to buy a cheap satnav app for now, then come back here in 6-12 months to see if things have improved.

The Go400 (and 500/600) is OK to get you from A to B, but it fails to make this an easy experience when things go wrong, or when you're not entirely sure of the journey.

First off, the display. The photos on this page are disingenuous - the black bar at the top of the display hides a lot of the road ahead - the very roundabout or junction that you're about to navigate. Sometimes this is hidden with less than 200 metres to go. The 3D display is not really 3D at all - it's a 2D display with a slight angle of distance.

You can't plan alternative routes - the one given is the only one. Much of the display is covered with side panels and frankly irrelevant touch points while driving (why would I want a zoom in/out panel when (a) I can pinch to zoom in/out and (b) I'm driving?)

The info bar on the right-hand side gets cluttered with icons which sit one on top of the other, making it difficult to work out what's actually happening. Fuel stops are shown as well. This would be useful if it had been designed properly (e.g. let me enter my standard "fill up" distance, then have an "I've filled up" button so that fuel stops are shown when I've travelled most of my fill-up distance). However, only the first two fuel points are displayed - pointless.

The touch screen is infuriating. In older models, you simply had to splat your finger anywhere on the display to get to the main options. Now you have to try and hit that tiny three-dot thing in the bottom left-hand corner. This is no fun when you're driving on your own, and I would suggest is almost dangerous. Touching the screen anywhere else brings up a little menu which allows you to remember the location, or drive there. Again, not really useful when driving, but can be handy when you want to set up a route in advance.

The correct approach to the screen would have been to use a short tap anywhere to bring up the main options, and a press-and-hold to bring up the small menu. This would make the device safer to use when driving.

It's slow to respond to screen presses too.

Check that your mobile phone is compatible - it uses Bluetooth tethering rather than the more usual Bluetooth device connection - I had to upgrade my phone to get it to work.

It's difficult to see if you're currently connected - you have to go into the main options to see the little icons in the top right corner. Again, a problem when you're driving.

There's no instant option to say "road ahead blocked". TomTom say that the live traffic info takes care of this. Except if an event has only just happened, live traffic doesn't know! And even then, it only re-routes if it can find an alternative that is marginally quicker. Unfortunately, turning around and retracing steps for a mile or two to take a different route doesn't figure. So the "route blocked" option is the answer, but there isn't one.

The TomTom representative who answers some of these reviews mentions forthcoming updates. You should bear in mind that there have been few updates as yet, mostly tinkering with things that don't actually resolve the fundamental problems with usability. Ok, they've added "My Routes", which is good, but "the ability to delete phones"? Perlease!! Get some perspective!

I seriously wish that TomTom would allow me to use the lifetime maps option with my old 720. But you can't even register two devices with one account on their web site! You have to have two accounts with different emails.

What can I say that's positive? Well, it does get you from A to B, with a single colour scheme. But if you're an existing TomTom user, be prepared for a disappointment.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 30, 2014 8:48 AM BST

Weight Watchers Ultra Slim Glass Electronic Scale
Weight Watchers Ultra Slim Glass Electronic Scale

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, 19 Sept. 2013
On first use, my weight was 6 stone - I'd instantly lost over half my weight. My wife was just 5 stone.

Nothing in the literature tells you it has to stand on a solid surface, so the only way I can use this device is by placing it in the bath and standing on it. Our bathroom is carpeted.

It still hasn't told me what my BMI is - it simply reports "Err" even though I've gone to all the lengths described in the handbook (no socks, nothing on (too much information, sorry)).

Because of the variability in displayed weights depending on the surface on which it stands, I would say this is not fit for its purpose, as I cannot rely on the information it gives.

Avoid - buy something else.

Energizer XP2000 Portable Mobile/Smartphone Charging Solution (iPhone/Blackberry/Samsung/HTC)
Offered by UK Surplus Central Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 9 Sept. 2013
Since my new smartphone needs reasonably regular charging (I can get two days out of one charge), this handy gizmo has saved my bacon when out & about. It gets my phone back up to over 60% charged - enough for almost one full day.

Others have commented on its long term life - I can't comment on that yet - but for now it's a great addition in my backpack.

Broken China
Broken China

3.0 out of 5 stars A difficult listen, 8 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Broken China (Audio CD)
I haven't been able to listen to this more than twice yet, as I found it too bleak overall. I may well come back to it in a few month's time. There are some good moments that cropped up which will take me back to it, but initial impressions were that it was a bit too dark or miserable for the mood I was in at the time. Don't expect anything like "Summer '68" or "The Great Gig In The Sky".

Page: 1 | 2 | 3