Profile for Smot > Reviews

Content by Smot

Smot

Page: 1 | 2
TomTom GO 400 EU - 4.3" Sat Nav with Full European Lifetime Maps, Lifetime Traffic Updates, Smartphone Connected and Interactive Screen
Offered by Saverstore
Price: 139.99

2.0 out of 5 stars If all you want is A to B, it's Ok-ish, 27 April 2014
If you're reading this, you've probably also read many other reviews and have mixed feelings about making this purchase.

If you have a smartphone, my advice is to buy a cheap satnav app for now, then come back here in 6-12 months to see if things have improved.

The Go400 (and 500/600) is OK to get you from A to B, but it fails to make this an easy experience when things go wrong, or when you're not entirely sure of the journey.

First off, the display. The photos on this page are disingenuous - the black bar at the top of the display hides a lot of the road ahead - the very roundabout or junction that you're about to navigate. Sometimes this is hidden with less than 200 metres to go. The 3D display is not really 3D at all - it's a 2D display with a slight angle of distance.

You can't plan alternative routes - the one given is the only one. Much of the display is covered with side panels and frankly irrelevant touch points while driving (why would I want a zoom in/out panel when (a) I can pinch to zoom in/out and (b) I'm driving?)

The info bar on the right-hand side gets cluttered with icons which sit one on top of the other, making it difficult to work out what's actually happening. Fuel stops are shown as well. This would be useful if it had been designed properly (e.g. let me enter my standard "fill up" distance, then have an "I've filled up" button so that fuel stops are shown when I've travelled most of my fill-up distance). However, only the first two fuel points are displayed - pointless.

The touch screen is infuriating. In older models, you simply had to splat your finger anywhere on the display to get to the main options. Now you have to try and hit that tiny three-dot thing in the bottom left-hand corner. This is no fun when you're driving on your own, and I would suggest is almost dangerous. Touching the screen anywhere else brings up a little menu which allows you to remember the location, or drive there. Again, not really useful when driving, but can be handy when you want to set up a route in advance.

The correct approach to the screen would have been to use a short tap anywhere to bring up the main options, and a press-and-hold to bring up the small menu. This would make the device safer to use when driving.

It's slow to respond to screen presses too.

Check that your mobile phone is compatible - it uses Bluetooth tethering rather than the more usual Bluetooth device connection - I had to upgrade my phone to get it to work.

It's difficult to see if you're currently connected - you have to go into the main options to see the little icons in the top right corner. Again, a problem when you're driving.

There's no instant option to say "road ahead blocked". TomTom say that the live traffic info takes care of this. Except if an event has only just happened, live traffic doesn't know! And even then, it only re-routes if it can find an alternative that is marginally quicker. Unfortunately, turning around and retracing steps for a mile or two to take a different route doesn't figure. So the "route blocked" option is the answer, but there isn't one.

The TomTom representative who answers some of these reviews mentions forthcoming updates. You should bear in mind that there have been few updates as yet, mostly tinkering with things that don't actually resolve the fundamental problems with usability. Ok, they've added "My Routes", which is good, but "the ability to delete phones"? Perlease!! Get some perspective!

I seriously wish that TomTom would allow me to use the lifetime maps option with my old 720. But you can't even register two devices with one account on their web site! You have to have two accounts with different emails.

What can I say that's positive? Well, it does get you from A to B, with a single colour scheme. But if you're an existing TomTom user, be prepared for a disappointment.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 30, 2014 8:48 AM BST

Weight Watchers Ultra Slim Glass Electronic Scale
Weight Watchers Ultra Slim Glass Electronic Scale
Price: 15.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, 19 Sep 2013
On first use, my weight was 6 stone - I'd instantly lost over half my weight. My wife was just 5 stone.

Nothing in the literature tells you it has to stand on a solid surface, so the only way I can use this device is by placing it in the bath and standing on it. Our bathroom is carpeted.

It still hasn't told me what my BMI is - it simply reports "Err" even though I've gone to all the lengths described in the handbook (no socks, nothing on (too much information, sorry)).

Because of the variability in displayed weights depending on the surface on which it stands, I would say this is not fit for its purpose, as I cannot rely on the information it gives.

Avoid - buy something else.

Energizer XP2000 Portable Mobile/Smartphone Charging Solution (iPhone/Blackberry/Samsung/HTC)
Offered by UK Surplus Central Ltd
Price: 21.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 9 Sep 2013
Since my new smartphone needs reasonably regular charging (I can get two days out of one charge), this handy gizmo has saved my bacon when out & about. It gets my phone back up to over 60% charged - enough for almost one full day.

Others have commented on its long term life - I can't comment on that yet - but for now it's a great addition in my backpack.

Broken China
Broken China
Price: 4.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A difficult listen, 8 Aug 2013
This review is from: Broken China (Audio CD)
I haven't been able to listen to this more than twice yet, as I found it too bleak overall. I may well come back to it in a few month's time. There are some good moments that cropped up which will take me back to it, but initial impressions were that it was a bit too dark or miserable for the mood I was in at the time. Don't expect anything like "Summer '68" or "The Great Gig In The Sky".

XSLT 2.0 and XPath 2.0 Programmer's Reference (Programmer to Programmer)
XSLT 2.0 and XPath 2.0 Programmer's Reference (Programmer to Programmer)
by Michael Kay
Price: 31.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very comprehensive, 8 Aug 2013
A weighty tome with good examples and text, possibly not as useful as a reference, but certainly good as a teaching aid.

7 Piece Air Travel Bottle Set
7 Piece Air Travel Bottle Set
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 8 Aug 2013
This was just enough for my wife to put in all her lotions, potions and creams for an easyJET journey.

Deluxe Portable Mains Power Unit Hook Up Camping
Deluxe Portable Mains Power Unit Hook Up Camping
Offered by Aspinalls Caravans-Camping
Price: 36.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Did the job admirably, 8 Aug 2013
As described in the title - it worked perfectly and the cable is indeed massive, and easily long enough to reach the power sockets on site.

My only minor quibble (not enough to reduce the rating) is that the unit has clips on the back to allow it to be attached to a standard steel tent pole. Our tent doesn't have any poles that this would fit, so it had to lay on the floor on its side. I may have to snap these off next time.

BESTEK Multi Travel Adapter: 4 gang UK sockets and Switzerland Plug power outlet Power Strip 4-way socket Mains Plug Power socket strip, suitable for UK visitors to Switzerland BTTA8017-D02

1.0 out of 5 stars Dodgy main cable, 8 Aug 2013
When I used this for the first time, I noticed that the power LED kept switching off & on. Thinking it was not plugged in to the wall socked correctly, I tried to re-seat the mains plug. The light blinked as I moved the mains cable around, along with some uncomfortable "sparking" noises from inside the four-way unit.

By pushing the mains cable further into the unit, it seems to have helped keep the unit working, and at least managed to let me recharge my phone and a laptop. The unit uses hexagonal headed screws, so I was also unable to open it to check the wiring. In all probability, there's a loose connection inside.

Unfortunately, I have no opportunity to return the item, as it was intended for use by my daughter in Bern and so, dodgy as it is, I had to leave it there otherwise she would have been unable to recharge any of her UK devices.

So, a poor rating is necessary - this may have been a rogue item but if you are in any way unable or unwilling to open it up to check the wiring, I would avoid this.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 16, 2013 10:39 AM BST

The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories)
The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories)
Price: 11.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer excellence!, 1 July 2013
It's been in my "Recommended for you" list for a while, and I'd seen all the positive reviews, but I just wasn't sure.

If you're feeling like that, don't waste any more time - buy it. Each song is a gem - superb playing and superb production. You'll get the feel of its overall style from other reviews.

When it arrived, I spotted two names of people I admire in the credits - Guthrie Govan on guitar and Alan Parsons as engineer. The quality shows.

Cabin Max Flight Approved Lightweight Carry on Trolley Backpack Bag
Cabin Max Flight Approved Lightweight Carry on Trolley Backpack Bag

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value bag, 1 July 2013
I bought this for my daughter's planned stay in Europe - she will be making a few flights over the coming months.

It's a bit more robust than the pair of bags I bought for me & my wife, and has more external pockets. The extendable handle is good and useful, and the side straps help to squeeze a few more soft things in. I expect it will do the job more than adequately.

The only slight negative is that it can get a bit noisy rolling it on some surfaces, but I'm not going to mark it down for this.

Page: 1 | 2