Profile for A. P. Fergusson > Reviews

Content by A. P. Fergusson

A. P. Fergusson "Wishmaster3211" (Wiltshire)

Page: 1 | 2
Endless Forms Most Beautiful (Digibook)
Endless Forms Most Beautiful (Digibook)

2.0 out of 5 stars Strangely Soulless, 23 April 2015
Firstly I don't know where people get the 5 star reviews from for this, I can only assume in the excitement they forgot about what earlier albums sounded like.

This is a distinctly average effort which I would give 2.5 stars to if I could. The plus points are its a lot more symphonic than the last album, the choirs, traditional instruments etc are better integrated into the songs and its much heavier. For those like me who can't stand the man, the Dawkins fetish isn't at all overdone and indeed other themes are also explored. Nonetheless it still sits very much at odds with some of their earlier output (notably on "Once" but also elsewhere). There are a couple of more fantasy related tracks which stand out for me...Edema Ruh is great and could have come from "Wishmaster". The lumbering last track isn't actually that bad and is the only one that showcases Floor's voice properly.

On the down side, there is one downright awful track (Yours is an empty hope) and a lot that just sounds recycled with the band merely going through the motions. Very very little else stands out. As others have repeatedly said, Floor's voice is chronically underutilised its almost like he is still writing for Annette, also he doesn't use much in the way of his own keyboards either which is disappointing.

I don't initially hate it like the last album but its very boring and bar a few tracks I can't see me going back to it often when I could listen to epics like "Once" and "Angels Fall First". Like "Imaginaerum" I will probably find a couple of tracks that still get listened to a few years down the line but the album will quickly be forgotten

Town And Two Cities [Us Import]
Town And Two Cities [Us Import]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, 31 Oct. 2013
I got this due to reading about it on a review of The Chevin, who appear to be the same band under a different name (answers on a Postcard).

If anything this is better than The Chevin's CD as it has less obvious Killers influences, is a bit more rocky and takes references from 80's rock as well as maybe a bit of Coldplay etc. It Makes My Heart Break, Aurora and Salvador are undiscovered classics and nothing on it sounds like filler. Hopefully in their new incarnation there's more to come.

Defies belief that nobody has heard of these bands in the UK.

Colours In The Dark
Colours In The Dark

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but still be better singing with a Band than Solo, 29 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Colours In The Dark (Audio CD)
This is Tarja's best work to date since she left Nightwish. The first track is worth the cost of the Album alone, with innovative instrumentation and great vocals, 500 letters is also a killer tune and there are quite a few tracks that easily could have come from an early Within Temptation album, bridging the Folk/Symphonic Rock divide nicely. However as with her previous two albums, it tails away toward then end for me with a lot of tracks sounding the same, and again the lyrics aren't great sometimes. Strangely and again, like her previous two efforts, a lot fo the tradks don't showcase her vocal range in the way that proper Symphonic Metal would. Nevertheless, definitely worth buying

Borderland
Borderland

4.0 out of 5 stars Proper Music from Yorkshire!, 29 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Borderland (Audio CD)
Like, I suspect, a lot of people this was a "Soundhound" purchase after hearing "Champion" played on various TV adverts. Unlike other albums you buy after hearing one track this doesn't disappoint. Stand out tracks are "Champion", "Colours" and "Borderland", the first two being reminiscent of what the Killers would sound like if they listened more to A Flock OF Seagulls than the Cars and Springsteen. Other tracks are slow burners (Love is Just a Game for example) so you won't get tired of the album too fast. It would get five stars if they hadn't gone too far with the "Karaoke Killers" elements on a couple of tracks, but, hey at least it sounds like them when they were good and not the MOR stuff on recent albums.
Soaring choruses with great vocals, lots of keyboards and 80's style guitar. Whats not to like? They have gone pretty quiet recebntly so I hope they aren't one hit wonders.

The Weight Of Your Love
The Weight Of Your Love

1.0 out of 5 stars the Definition of a Sell Out, 25 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Weight Of Your Love (Audio CD)
This album is poor. A couple of the tracks are Ok, but they seem intent on trying to sound like U2. The lyrics are dire with several songs drivelling on about Love like a boy band. The few tracks that are good have you screaming at the CD to "Turn the guitars up".

I hated it and wish I hadn't bought it. Can't see how anyone that liked their first album, which was raw,edgy, fast paced and dynamic, could like this MOR dirge.

Hot Fuss
Hot Fuss
Offered by Qoolist

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 4 May 2013
This review is from: Hot Fuss (Audio CD)
I am only writing this cos I am astonished it gets the same score as "Battleborn" on here

Come on guys!

This is a storming album. The first four tracks are so good you don't get past them for a week.

War Of Ages
War Of Ages

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, 4 May 2013
This review is from: War Of Ages (Audio CD)
I know everyone is raving about this album but I am just a little bit disappointed by it. Its a good album, but it feels ever so slighty like an exercise in treading water and after a couple of months I am skipping a few too many tracks.

Tracks Like Wings of Madness, Age of Glory, Royal Pain are all fine and the standout is the terrific Tannenberg which is totally addictive, but Shining Oasis in particular sounds exactly like a track off their last album to the extent that I keep thinking that's what I am listening to. The ballad is a missed opportunity too, as it dies in exactly the way that "..Fairtytales" doesn't. Similarly the lyrics are a bit unoriginal in places (Art of War for example has been done by Sabaton LOL). Finally, and I know Clementine has said this was deliberate, the female vocals are underused.

Obviously the musicianship is still superb as is the production, and Georg is probably the best male vocalist out there now, but compared to some of their previous output I don't think it really stands up. Perhaps I was expecting too much but then they are one of the best live bands you can see and they have also made some of the best symphonic metal albums in recent years. I had hoped they would come up with something that would take them into the Premier League but I don't think this will unfortunately.

Circle (Bonus One DVD)
Circle (Bonus One DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 3 May 2013
This review is from: Circle (Bonus One DVD) (Audio CD)
I keep expecting that Amorphis will eventually make an Album that i don't like, but this isn't it. In fact its better than their last one and that was my album of the year.

All you have to do here is unwrap it (the packaging on my Digipak is lovely as well) and play track 8 "Enchanted By The Moon". Here they've chucked in a Morricone style keyboard/ harmmony motif then halfway through it turns into Powerslave-Era Maiden before ending with a keyboard solo! The breadth of influence and invention in one track alone is ridiculous, all held together by a chorus too!

The album is more varied than their last offering, with some tracks being a lot harder than on "Beginning of Times" and "Skyforger", but have no fear elements of both of those remain and there are some delightful "poppy" hooks and epic harmonies in several tracks. Also some intriguing use of classical/folk instruments. In fact there are elements of all their back catalogue here in this one album. I haven't heard an average track so far and my only small criticism is the production is a bit too light, you can tell Tagtren was involved thats for sure.

Time I
Time I

3.0 out of 5 stars Wanting More, 3 May 2013
This review is from: Time I (Audio CD)
I bought this on recommendation and after hearing the completely epic final track "Time". The whole album works up to this track, which has a really great, melancholic and catchy chorus. A stunning track. I have to say though, and this may just be the fact that I am not a great lover of Prog-Style Metal,that the rest of the album does sound a bit the same and none of the tracks although good in their own way match up to this one unbelievable track. On shuffle it is at times hard to tell each one apart.

That said, the production values are outstanding with extremely complex arrangements and orchestration and great guitar parts.

I cant help feeling that maybe if they had released both parts simultaneously it would have worked better but its still an excellent album. Really I would give it 3.5 but Amazon wont let me.

Silverthorn
Silverthorn

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic, 8 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Silverthorn (Audio CD)
There have been so many duff releases in the Symphonic Metal genre this year, I didn't even buy this when it first came out. I though Ghost Opera was good but not somehow coherent and the last album was a bit average, but this....THIS is PROPER EPIC SYMPHONIC METAL.

Sacrimony is classic Kamelot, a fist pumping anthem in the mould of Center of the Universe, theres a great ballad My Confession, Falling Like Fahrenheit is more Epic, classic Kamelot and the final track Prodigal Son is the sort of track Tuomas used to write for Nightwish, rather than just record people reading Poetry for 10 minutes. Whilst there is a clear common style to probably all of their recent albums it doesn't sound dated, possibly because as an album its more tuneful than the last two. There's also a bit more guitar (and keyboard!) shredding, notably on tracks like Ashes to Ashes. You also get a really poppy sensibility on "My Confession" and "Falling Like Fahrenheit" which sounds not a little like female vocalist Elize's band, Amaranthe.

Tommy's voice? Well he sounds a lot like Khan, he doesn't have the vocal range (Only at the lower end really) but still sounds great.

This album is what the genre had been waiting for. There's nothing much wrong with it and I am sure it will grow. It proves bands can evolve and even change vocalists without having to mess about with their style like Nightwish and Sonata Arctica did recently. Ironically also, in a type of music mostly created and followed in Europe, here is an American band doing a pure Symphonic Metal album better than any of the Europeans.

I am giving it 5 stars even though I have only listened to it twice, I am confident I won't regret it!

Page: 1 | 2