Profile for Ms. H. L. Riggott > Reviews

Content by Ms. H. L. Riggott

Ms. H. L. Riggott "hannalucie" (Sheffield UK)

Secret Diary of a Call Girl: Season 1 [DVD] [2007] [2008]
Secret Diary of a Call Girl: Season 1 [DVD] [2007] [2008]
Dvd ~ Billie Piper
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars There's definately something missing here!, 18 July 2008
I rented the first half of this series from Love film, and having watched it I'm definately not renting the second half. It's hard to pinpoint exactly what left me cold. Billy Piper is a very good actress, and she does her best with what the script gives her. However, the character she played was so shallow that it is impossible to care about what happens to her, and watching her have sex that selection of creepy men was just a bit gross.

I have read and enjoyed the book this is based on, and I think that it probably just hasn't translated well to the screen. There was a thread of storyline, about Belle and her boyfriend, that ran through the book, but this has been cut out, leaving nothing to create the suspense needed to keep the viewer interested.

It might have made a decent film if properly handled, but in this series it comes across as cheap and disjointed.

The Golden Bowl (English Library)
The Golden Bowl (English Library)
by Henry James

3.0 out of 5 stars Death by sub clause, 28 April 2008
If anyone had told me before I read this book that such a thing as death by sub clause existed I would have laughed in their face. I am not denying this book it's place in Literature, I am saying it is not an enjoyable read. I love beautiful prose as much as the next person, and i advise you to find it in D H Lawrence and Virginia Woolf. This novel tortures, wrapping an average plot in alot of flowery window dressing.

The Accidental
The Accidental
by Ali Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars Worthless from start to finish!, 13 Jan. 2008
This review is from: The Accidental (Paperback)
To be blunt,this is the worst book I have read in my life. It is pretenious, written to win awards rather than satisfy readers. I'm at a loss as to how anyone can enjoy it, since not only do you learn nothing about the characters, but there is no character development. I suppose the writing is tolerably pretty, but there are so many beautifully written novels out there (anything by D. H. Lawrence for example) that actually stir the soul rather than leaving it cold.
If you are thinking about reading this, I beg you not to. It's only by boycotting worthless self-indulgent rubbish like this that we can hope to force the publishing industry to do better.

Luckily I was unemployed when i read this, so i didn't really have anything better to do. otherwise I would probably have probably hurled the offending waste of my time at the wall out of sheer, blind rage!