Profile for john fortune > Reviews

Content by john fortune

john fortune

Rivers of London (PC Peter Grant Book Book 1)
Rivers of London (PC Peter Grant Book Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 22 Aug. 2014
Really loved the book. Well written characters, nicely paced. The author knows London well. If you liked Neil Gaiman' s Neverwhere, you'll like this!

Magician's End (The Chaoswar Saga, Book 3)
Magician's End (The Chaoswar Saga, Book 3)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so much out with a bang....., 6 Aug. 2014
Oh, well. It's very hard to consider the merits of this book without also thinking about the epic series as a whole. Unfortunately, this means that a very harsh light is cast upon Magician's End.

As others have quite rightly stated the original Riftwar series was great, building up a to a satisfying climax and the defeat of a clearly defined enemy in the Valheru. It even set up continuing antagonists in the Pantathians. Krondors Sons (Princes of the Blood and the Kings Buccaneer) were also enjoyable. While many I now did not like the Serpentwar Saga, I quite enjoyed the new characters and a fresher perspective on the dealings around Midkemia. I was, and I think many will agree, completely ignore the Riftwar Legacy books as a complete waste of time, with Jimmy and the Crawler being the worst example of "posting it in" ever committed to print.

After this things began to go astray. With the Conclave of Shadows the series dive-bombed. The characters just became carbon copies of each other, just changed the names. The story became convoluted and as a reader very unsatisfying. There was a new enemy every book who was easily defeated but the turned out to be under the influence of an even more malicious entity, How handy. This is none more evident than in this final volume, pages and pages of expostition about the Ultimate, angels and demons and Bliss and the Dread and time and............whatever. I enjoy a challenging book as much as the next person. I enjoy working through the different constructs and rules of a fantasy world. This was laughable though, poorly thought-out and poorly described. While by the end I understood who or what the Big Bad was supposed to be, it was very hard to muster and feeling for it, and as for the dragon/angel analogue..........

But it wasn't just the worldbuilding and plot structure that let the series down by the end. Let us leave the gramatical errors that began to appear in the later books and concentrate on some of the more inexplicable errors, the many, many contradictions. One huge bug bear I had was the naming of Sorcerer's Isle, or was it Island, nope it's Isle on the next page, oh wait it's Island again. PICK ONE!!!!!!!!!!! Why did Erik Von Darkmoor say he was never married when he married Kat in the third book of the Serpentwar? Why (in Exile's Return I believe) does Kasper say he was an only child when his sister, Natalia, was pretty major character in the previous book? In fact (I admit I may be remembering the book the scenes were in wrongly) there was a section in the books where Kasper and Natalia met for dinner after he returned from Novindus. It is clear that the scheduled release dates of one book per year meant that Feist did not or was unable to hone the books before release, and also that his editors did a very poor job of ensuring consistancy across the whole series, all of which led to a very hollow feeling when finally concluding the series.

The newer characters built up over the preceeding two books were already thinly veiled clones of previous creating and had barely any development from there, established characters were thrown around to keep them in view but with no other reason to be there, a half hearted attempt to get us to care about the political turmoil in the Kingdom (again mirroring the end of Magician) but with non-established characters that the readers are not invested in. The plot was inconsistant with new races being introduced for, well, no reason whatsoever that could be established, a painful amount of exposition trying to explain cosmic concepts that Feist himself clearly had but a tenous grasp of onderstanding. Add to all this a conclusion that could be summed up as little more than "is that it?" rather that the clearly signposted "oooohhhhhh, Pug's back" ending that they wanted.

After finishing the book I felt saddened, not that such an epic series had come to an end, but that something that began which such bright promise could end with such a pathetic whimper.

Yousave Accessories PU Leather Flip Cover Case for Nokia Lumia 920 - Black
Yousave Accessories PU Leather Flip Cover Case for Nokia Lumia 920 - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 25 April 2013
For the price you pay for this cover it is very hard to find an alternate that does the same for less. It holds the phone securely while allowing easy release, it is robust and makes you feel confident about putting it in your bag/pocket.

However, it is not completely practical. When the phone is inserted into the case it is very difficult to press the side buttons unless using both hands. The screen protector did not cover the whole screen. It is incredibly awkward to make a phone call while the phone is in its case. It also smells a little funky.

As I only really use the case to protect the phone while I am out and about it does what I need it to do. I'll keep looking out for a case that I can keep the phone in and still use with ease but, for a cheap option, it's quite satisfactory.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 27, 2013 12:20 AM BST

Red Country: A First Law Novel (Set in the World of The First Law)
Red Country: A First Law Novel (Set in the World of The First Law)

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it but not alot., 1 Nov. 2012
I loved The First Law, I loved Best Served Cold, I loved The Heroes. I like this.

What this book shows is that Joe Abercrombie is very deft at turning his had to different genres. He creates a real Old West feeling but the characters are a little more stereotypical that his usual creations. The inclusion of "Lamb" and Caul Shivers seems little more than a way to combine in to the same world as his previous books. I wonder what it could have been if Abercrombie had decided to creat a new world for Red Country it could have shone a bit brighter (It was good to see Cosca again though).

I felt that the Dragon People and Ghost culture needed further exploring to generate any real tension and, hopefully, this "Dragon" they were uncovering will have some bearing further down the road.

Ultimately, I like Joe Abercrombie's stuff, and I like this, I just liked the others more.

Storm Front: The Dresden Files Book One (The Dresden Files series 1)
Storm Front: The Dresden Files Book One (The Dresden Files series 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Ok, yep, Ok., 1 Nov. 2012
Very hard to drum up any real feelings for this book. It's a decent story, it's reasonably well told, the characters are somewhat more than cyphers but over all it just feels a bit.....ok. As an introduction to the world you would want a bit more flavour, a bit more overview. Being written in the first person means that you never fully grasp the scope of magic in the environment. Interesting characters are briefly introduced but never explored or in some cases even seen. The villians motivation is rather convoluted............

It's not that I did not like it, I just felt that there was so much more that could have been it was a bit of a let down. Having had the series recommended to me I don't think I'll be giving up just yet but I do hope it gets better.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 14, 2012 6:22 PM GMT

Munchkin Nappy Disposal System
Munchkin Nappy Disposal System

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, even bought another one., 24 Oct. 2012
Good system. I previously used the Tommee Tippee bin but find this much better. The design is smart and removal of the bags, while awkward if over filled, means you are unlikely to rip the bags while trying to take them out. The baking powder recepticle may be a bit of a gimmick but it does seem to hold the smell in better than similar products on the market, although it is hard to justify the higher cost of this bin and its bags with the benefits over other, cheaper options.