Profile for G. Southwell > Reviews

Content by G. Southwell

G. Southwell (Portsmouth)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Tenn-Outdoors Men's Bib Front Professional Viper with Pad Cycling Shorts - Black/White Stitch, X-Large/36-38 Waist

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 2 Jun 2014
Great fit and comfort for the money, have just seen me through my first 100 miler. Got these as a step up from the cheaper Tenn bib shorts (which I liked) and step up in quality is evident everywhere. Especially the gel padding.

Only gripe is the size of the logo down the side. Good that it is reflective but I prefer my branding a bit more subtle. Nothing against Tenn, I recommend them to everyone, I wouldn't want the brand name that prominent even if it were endura or rapha.

Tenn-Outdoors Men's Blend Performance Short Sleeved Cycling Jersey
Tenn-Outdoors Men's Blend Performance Short Sleeved Cycling Jersey
Price: £36.00 - £46.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Felt pro, 2 Jun 2014
Bought this as an upgrade to a cheaper Tenn jersey and it really is a jump in quality. Really good fit and really comfortable, upgraded Bib shorts to Tenn's profesionnal ones at the same time and I must confess I felt like a proper road cyclist for the first time.

I would prefer slightly bigger pockets though. A SIS energy stood up in the pocket just peeks out of the top. Haven't lost any but other jerseys seem to have deeper pockets.

Tenn Mens Winter Weight Cycling Race Jersey - Long Sleeve - Black/Yellow XL
Tenn Mens Winter Weight Cycling Race Jersey - Long Sleeve - Black/Yellow XL
Offered by Tenn Outdoors

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent winter jersey, 10 Dec 2013
Very pleased with this purchase, as temperatures this has kept me warm by itself, with a baselayer or under a wind proof. I have yet to need baselayer AND windproof.

I am usually between a large and xl, I bought the xl and could have got away with the large I think but it's marginal.

Tenn Thermal Cycling Arm Warmers - Black L/XL
Tenn Thermal Cycling Arm Warmers - Black L/XL
Offered by Tenn Outdoors

5.0 out of 5 stars Warming, 22 Oct 2013
This review is from: Tenn Thermal Cycling Arm Warmers
Excellent value, hard to find a cheaper pair and these are quality. Amazing the difference these make, added to summer kit they are keeping me warm deep into the autumn.

Red Country (First Law World 3)
Red Country (First Law World 3)
by Joe Abercrombie

5.0 out of 5 stars Red Country, 18 Oct 2012
I was lucky enough to get hold of a proof copy of this book so I have had time to read it and digest prior to release. And this is good, really good. Abercrombie was already my favourite author and I am constantly terrified that he will go off the boil as some others have, but he certainly hasn't with this book.

The previous standalone books sometimes beat you over the head with their themes of revenge or the pointlessness of war but Red County has the feel of a Western and this broader genre give the characters and story a bit more breathing room. The plot rattles along with twists and turns but as always it is the characters that make this book great, the two new leads are excellent and the large number of returning characters each sent a little thrill of excitement through me. Like Joe's other work this is bleak, cynical and brutally realistic in places with a large helping of black gallows humour, and I can't get enough of it.

Joe continues the world building and background mythology of the series, but always seen through the eyes of characters with more immediate concerns. If you have read all of his books then like me you will be enjoying putting pieces together as Joe never feels the need for pages of explanation about the world where his books are set.

Buy this.

The Sound Of The Life Of The Mind
The Sound Of The Life Of The Mind
Offered by Venture Online

5.0 out of 5 stars They Are Back, 19 Sep 2012
I wasn't entirely sure what to expect from Ben Folds 5 reforming, I loved their early stuff, it was young, angry and full of bounce. But they are older now (as am I!) and trying to go back to their roots completely would surely end up with a slightly desperate result.

This album feels like a bridge between the Ben Folds 5 albums and Ben Folds best solo album, Songs for Silverman, with the added influences of Folds jaunts into Accapella showtunesy melodrama (in a good way) and his story telling from the work with Nick Hornby. We have the perfect mix of the upbeat "Erase Me" and "Do It Anyway" to the moving "Away When you Were Here", the wistful "On Being Frank" and the wonderfully childish "Draw A Crowd".

Aside from the first two BF5 albums I have felt that all of Mr Folds work has included a weak song or two that I would often skip, I am quite a few listens in to this album and if there is a weak song I haven't spotted it yet. Part of me wanted a new "Underground" or "Battle of who could care less" but they have been done.

Can't wait to see them live in December!

The Hunger Games (2 Disc) [DVD]
The Hunger Games (2 Disc) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jennifer Lawrence

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so great if you haven't read the book, 26 Mar 2012
I went into this film knowing little to nothing about the book or what this was all about and I have to say this was easily the most predictable film I have ever seen. There is very little here that isn't in Rollerball, Running Man or Battle Royale and at no time did I ever feel the main character was in the slightest bit of danger.

The only thing I wasn't sure of is whether or not the male lead would make it through and I won't give that away. If I tell you that the plucky sidekick is black then I bet you can guess what hapens to her!

I've seen plenty of worse films, but I was so disappointed that there were no twists or turns to the story.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 10, 2012 6:25 PM BST

Safe House [DVD]
Safe House [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ryan Reynolds

3.0 out of 5 stars Average - so very very average, 6 Mar 2012
This review is from: Safe House [DVD] (DVD)
Another atempt at a Bourne film then. Some good action sequences, Washington and Reynolds are as watchable as ever but the film is just... average. Same old "oooo look how evil the CIA are!!" plot, with some set piece chases, shoot outs and fights. There is just no real spark to the film. I almost miss the days when the baddies were just anyone without an American accent!

As a straight mindless action film it's alright if it's what you are in the mood for, but don't expect anything more.

Oh yeah! It's set in Cape town, that is a little different.

Another Earth [DVD]
Another Earth [DVD]
Dvd ~ William Mapother
Offered by Leisurezone

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful, 12 Dec 2011
This review is from: Another Earth [DVD] (DVD)
I am not convinced if this is an Indie Sci Fi film or an Indie film with a bit of Sci Fi chucked in. If you just like your Sci Fi to be lasers, explosions and scientists driving around shouting at NASA on speakerphone this is certainly not for you.

The story is that another Earth (or Earth II as it is dubbed) appears in the sky. A girl who is drunk and driving is looking at it out of her car window crashes and wipes out a family. It then turns into a slow paced indie film about people dealing with their feelings in a well done but not massively original way with one moment of supreme pretentious rubbish which I am choosing to ignore.

At times the Indie "aren't we all so deep and meaningful" stuff is nearly too much, but Earth II hanging there in the sky along with the information drip fed to you via the media makes your "what if" synapses go off like machine guns.

More of that please.
Comment Comments (12) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 13, 2014 5:50 PM BST

Christmas Novelty Pop-Up Pen, 2 designs available (PM181)
Christmas Novelty Pop-Up Pen, 2 designs available (PM181)
Offered by Balloon Shop

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, 26 Nov 2011
Very cheap, very tacky, very hard not to smile when they pop up!

Good little stocking filler, I recommend them highly.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3