Profile for Uncle Barbar > Reviews

Content by Uncle Barbar
Top Reviewer Ranking: 98

Uncle Barbar (Essex, England)
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Philips SC2008/11 IPL Lumea Precision Plus Hair Regrowth Prevention System
Philips SC2008/11 IPL Lumea Precision Plus Hair Regrowth Prevention System

5.0 out of 5 stars Painlessly renders hair thinner and finer over the course of several months, 27 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This machine marked as model SC2008 on the back, comes with three attachments, the regular body attachment, the facial attachment and the bikini attachment in the box. This model is identical to my previous SC2008 model which came without the benefit of the bikini line attachment. It only appears to be an upgrade with regard to the attachments rather than the body of the machine itself. I will update this review with information on the bikini line attachment in a few months when I have had time to test it.

For those who wish to know how effective the Lumea is, here is Auntie Barbar's summing up of the Philips Lumea Precision Plus SC2008 method of epilation:

Used on a skintone which is fair and body hair which is mid-brown and mid-strength with no hormonal conditions which may continue to promote excess hair growth during treatment.

Settings – I use setting five on my legs. I use setting for four bikini line and underarm and I use setting three on my face. Facial skin is a bit more sensitive.

Safety – I haven't become of aware of any particular safety issues. The only danger you face is using it on pigmented or inflamed skin because this will draw in the light/heat and may cause a burn. So far I have been careful and never this has never happened. I have avoided treating areas with bruises, moles and pigmentation. With regard to the flashing light – the instructions state it is not necessary to wear goggles. I find it isn't necessarily in a good bright light but if you're treating in a room with just a bedside lamp, the light flash does hurt your head a bit. So, in this situation, I wear goggles just to make things a bit more comfortable.

Pain – there isn't any. You may get a tiny flush of heat on more tender areas but all effects vanish on me after around 10 minutes.

Frequency – it recommends you treat once a fortnight and then once a month. Personally, I treat all areas once a fortnight until there's nothing to treat. You do have to treat regularly but it is really no more trouble than using an epilator every few weeks or shaver every few days.

Attachments – as already said, this set I have just received, contains a bikini line attachment. The facial attachment is smaller and has a light filter gives a more gentle treatment. The bikini attachment is smaller and also has a light filter. I have tried using the facial attachment on my legs but this wasn't so effective.I shall report back on how effective I find the new bikini line attachment in a few months time When I have had a chance to test It's effectiveness.

Pretreatment – you need to shave the area before treatment. You can do this by wet shaving or using an electric shaver. If you smell burning hair during treatment it means you haven't shaved well enough or you missed some.

Method of use – you need to press the head against the skin evenly to make the green light come on at the back to enable you to trigger the flash. This is sometimes a little bit fiddly to achieve on bony areas such as your chin your knee or your ankle. (That's why I started using the facial attachment on some areas.)

Initial impressions – after just one treatment I did actually see quite a difference in the thickness of the hair when it grew back. It was all still there but it was fine.

Managing hair during treatment – I was worried that shaving would cause me to have stubble in between treatments. This isn't the case. When the hair grows, it grows thin and fine and doesn't feel stubbly to the touch.

Bikini line and underarm – hair in this area is stronger and it took several treatments more than on the body for this to show a thinning and fining.

Hair colour – this method does not treat white hairs. Interestingly, these remain while the surrounding dark hairs appear to have gone. If you intend to treat facial hair – you need to treat it before it turns white.

Permanence – the instructions do not state this is a permanent method of hair removal. I suppose this is because it's probably hit and miss depending on your hair and your hormonal setup. That said, it is working to a largest extent on my hair growth.

Results – I have been using this model for nine months and whilst I still have some thin fine hair growth, it is far less conspicuous and I find it much easier to manage.

Power source – this machine has 140,000 flashes and when those are used up you simply throw the machine away. However the number of flashes is extremely high. It is cordless and you need to plug it in to charge. You also need to be sure to recharge it every few months if you don't use it, because if the battery runs completely flat and will not accept a charge, the machine becomes useless.

Conclusion – I love this method of hair removal. Whilst it has not left me hair-free after almost a year – my body hair is thinner and finer and more feminine. If it doesn't improve beyond this, I will still be more than happy with the result.

Who won't like it – anyone who wants constant, smooth, hair-free skin may not find this suitable because you have to repeat the treatment for months on end, and you always have a degree of hair growth coming through. I have no idea whether the hair will eventually give up the ghost on not. It is too early to say.

Room for improvement – what I would find useful is a smaller facial attachment head. This is because I sometimes find the facial head difficult to get to make contact on my chin area so that the light will flash.

Ecosusi Classic Front and Back Baby Carrier Cream
Ecosusi Classic Front and Back Baby Carrier Cream

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, 26 April 2015
This is an excellent baby carrier for its price point. It is sturdily made. The manufacturer is labelled as 'Be cute'. Is Labelled as 100% polyester and made in China. It is hand washable only.
Is model is only suitable for babies between 3.6 kg and 12 kg. All the buckles seem secure and all the stitching appears sturdy. It's lightweight and comfortable to wear and has a good amount of padding. I should point out that there is no lumbar support on this model so you may want to take that into consideration if you are prone to back problems.
It measures 17" x 11" at the widest part. The sides Velcro so that you can adjust it to fit baby because it's important that the legs fit quite snugly. Is a rucksack style and the shoulders are nicely padded. The shoulder straps are fully adjustable. I have found this very serviceable, keenly-priced carrier, for occasional use, for my nephew.

Ecosusi Design Cable Stable Electronics Accessories Travel Organiser
Ecosusi Design Cable Stable Electronics Accessories Travel Organiser

5.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't be without it, 24 April 2015
I love this travel cable tidy. I've been looking for something like this for ages. This is really useful. It's a great way to keep all your cables and small peripheral filed and tidy.It's also great to put small bluetooth speakers and mp3 players in when you are travelling. It's a nice, sturdy piece of kit. It is well-stitched and good quality. It measures 25 x 17 cm. It has a sturdy zip - which zips both ways with zip-pulls on. There are nine cable pockets, one zipped pouch and a little wallet to hold your SD cards – which is a nice touch. I'm planning on ordering a second one.
Comment Comment | Permalink

GRDE® Smart Sound Control Lamp, Lucky Bedside Table Lamp with Sound Activated Function, Energy Saving LED Night Light, Great Gift for Children (Upgrade Version, UK Plug)
Offered by UK tree

5.0 out of 5 stars Great novelty lamp. Clap facility only works in darkness, 24 April 2015
This is a great novelty bedside lamp. The plug is a fused, three-pin plug and mine has the kitemark on it. You can use it as an ordinary bedside lamp. It has an on/off switch on the back. There is no switch on the cable. If you switch it to the sound setting this means that when there's a fairly loud noise, the lamp automatically comes on and stays on for two minutes Then switches itself off automatically. So, for example, if you come into a room and clap your hands, the light will come on and stay on for two minutes then go out. You can't clap the light off again. The sensor is just one way.The other thing I need to mention is that it only comes on via the sensor when it is dark. You cannot clap it on during the day. I say this just in case you think, when it arrives, the clapping facility doesn't work. It very possibly does work – you need to wait till after dark.

It would be very good for a child's room where if they wake up distressed, the lamp will automatically come on. And then it will go out again even if they fall back to sleep. I haven't found this overly sensitive in the night for coming on but it did come on on one occasion when I was scrabbling griping about from my MP3 player. This was actually quite helpful because I could then find the player but I suppose it's possible that if you are a restless sleeper or tend towards coughing fits, this could trigger the light to come on.

All in all, I find this to be a delightful novelty, useful for some adults as well as babies and children.

Ecosusi Travel Bag Luggage Organisers Packing Cubes - 3pc Set
Ecosusi Travel Bag Luggage Organisers Packing Cubes - 3pc Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Great set of travel organisers, 24 April 2015
This is a very useful luggage organiser set. There are three pieces in the set, the first measures 8 x 7 x 17 cm. This is useful for bottles and toiletries or you could use it to put socks in. The second is sized 25 x 35 x 5 cm. This is useful for underwear, small garments or shoes. The last one is 31 x 42 x 6. This is useful for larger garments. They are sturdily made and lightweight so they won't add weight to your case. They are nice quality and well stitched. All of them have double zips and each zip has a zip-pull. These organisers keep things nice and neat in your case. They are also useful to differentiate between worn clothes and clean clothes. Each organiser has a carry handle on the top. This is a nice quality set and will prove very useful for holidays.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Ecosusi Women Soft Leather Suede Tote Handbag Hobo Satchel Bag With Silver Tassel (Grey)

5.0 out of 5 stars Attractive and serviceable bag, 24 April 2015
I'm really impressed with the quality of this bag. I don't think it is genuine suede but you'd be hard pressed to see the difference. It has a good strong shoulder strap, which is fully adjustable to whichever length you need. It measures 30 cm x 44 cm at its widest part. It has the type of base which flattens out on the bottom so you can get quite a lot into it. The base measures 18 cm width to give you an idea.It has two sturdy carrying handles which are securely stitched. It's got three internal pockets, one of which is zipped. In fact, the lining, which is brown in mine, is very nicely done. It has an attractive tassel decoration. (This is detachable if it's not your style.) This is a study, well-stitched together bag. I can recommend this is a very attractive and serviceable handbag. (Auntie Barbar)

20kg SACK OF SUNFLOWER HEARTS - BIRD FOOD
20kg SACK OF SUNFLOWER HEARTS - BIRD FOOD
Offered by Maltbys Stores

5.0 out of 5 stars My Goldficnhes love them!, 23 April 2015
Excellent quality sunflower hearts - the Goldfinches, chaffinches, blue tits etc love them.

AND an absolute bargain.

Job done.

BISSELL Multi-Reach 2-in-1 Light Weight Cordless Vacuum with 25.2 V Lithium-Ion, 115 Watt

5.0 out of 5 stars Throw away the feather duster!, 23 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is essentially a battery-powered carpet sweeper and handheld vacuum. The great thing about it is it's twice as powerful as the 12 V ones I've had in the past. That said, it's not as powerful as a some cordless vacuums but this isn't intended to replace your regular vacuum, I don't think. The dust collecting receptacle is just the size of the dust buster essentially. It's quite small and won't do your whole house. It took me a while to work out how to charge the thing. It doesn't have a detachable battery pack. You have to plug the charger cable in, underneath the base of the stand and then sit the vacuum on the stand and it flashes a blue light as it charges. You get 40 minutes hoover time although I don't really need that because I'm just using this for a tidy up between full-scale vacuums. You can't wall-mount this. So you need a space to put the charging station and you need to stand the vacuum on it. It doesn't take up all that much room, Though. I've managed to secrete my in the hall behind a door curtain.

You have a selection of buttons at the top of the handle. There is a light button which you can have on or off, which I like so that this doesn't drain the battery if don't want to use the light but it is useful if you want to vacuum along the corners it just lights the way. You also have the option to use the sweeper bar. I find it does work better with the sweeper bar. (Comes with a spare sweeper by included.) And you have the choice of suction on normal and high.

I do find regular vacuums heavy and unwieldy for vacuuming nooks and crannies and ceilings and bookshelves bookshelves etc. And I prefer to vacuum rather than merely dust.This has solved my problem. There is a switch at the top where you can get it to transform into a crooked shape so you can get it under furniture. It goes a way under the bed too.You wouldn't want to do too much vacuuming this way but it's easier than going on hands and knees. It does ceiling cobwebs very well.This surprised my spider population. It comes with an extension wand and a couple of crevice tools. The instructions don't explain how to fit the tools but essentially, they fit onto the end of the handheld part. They work well but when you have the wand extension fitted, you do have to keep it in place with one hand because it only slots in.

As far as I can tell, all the filters appear to be washable, so there doesn't appear to be any bits you need to fork out for after purchase.

The other great thing about it is that you can use it as you would a regular carpet sweeper or detach the central part and use it as a handheld dust buster type apparatus around the house or to clean out the car. It's lightweight and manoeuvrable. It weighs 6 kg on my bathroom scales.

I love it! It's a big hit with me!

The Friendly Swede Activity and Running Belt (Large: 32"-35")
The Friendly Swede Activity and Running Belt (Large: 32"-35")
Offered by The Friendly Swede [UK]

5.0 out of 5 stars A great solution, 22 April 2015
I have heard cases of people secreting their keys under their vehicle, going for a run or surfing or what have you, finding their vehicle gone when they got back and invalidating their insurance because they didn't leave the vehicle secure.Yet, it's a real nuisance to have to take your keys with you.

I've been getting on very well with this handy running belt. It's a very simple idea. It fits around your waist and there are two open pockets in the top, which give you access to the entire inside of the belt so you can slip in all the things you want to carry around with you.You can get quite a few things in. You get a mobile phone in, keys, medication, the lot. I like the fact that it's got an integrated safety keyring, so that you can attach your keys to the belt. The width is 9 cm. I ordered medium which is labelled as a 29-32" waist. It measures 37 cm (14 1/2 inches laid flat). There is some give but not a huge amount – it's not the sort of elastic fabric the stretches one forever. My sister-in-law is a size 12 (32" waist and it fits her perfectly). My wife is a size 10 (28" waist) and it's a shade loose on her. I should imagine that it wouldn't be that comfortable if it was loose, but you wouldn't be able to get it on if it was too tight so it's well worth taking careful waist measurements and working out which is the right size for you. Either way, this is so much better than having keys jangling around in your shorts pocket.

The Porcelain Thief
The Porcelain Thief
by Huan Hsu

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting combination of memoir and Chinese history, 22 April 2015
This review is from: The Porcelain Thief (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an interesting read. It's a mixture of memoir and Chinese history combined in a very accessible way.I particularly liked the addition of the central black and white and colour plates, which really brought the story to life for me. Although the author teaches creative writing the prose style he adopts is more one of a factual reporting style of memoir. It might not appeal so much to the novel addict but it would make very interesting reading for anybody who enjoys accompanying an author on a personal odyssey and learning more about Chinese history on the way.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20