Profile for Uncle Barbar > Reviews

Content by Uncle Barbar
Top Reviewer Ranking: 88

Uncle Barbar (Essex, England)
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Dog Poo Bags Large OXO Biodegradable by Easipet (100)
Dog Poo Bags Large OXO Biodegradable by Easipet (100)
Offered by Far East Direct Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Biodegradable, 29 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In use, the bags are lightweight and reassuringly strong. As other reviewers have commented, these ones are the 'large' ones. I don't know if they do different sizes for different dog sizes. It isn't something I've felt the need to look into closely.

I like the size of these bags because you can wrap round a few times before securing, which is good if the deposit is going to be with me till I get home or find a bin. Also, due to their size, these bags can also be pressed into service as food waste recycling bags.

AquaAudio™ Cubo - Waterproof Bluetooth Wireless Speaker with Strong Suction Cup for Showers, Bathroom, Pool, Boat, Car, Beach, Outdoor etc. / Optimized Buttons for Easy Control / Amazingly Powerful & Crystal Clear Sound / Compatible with All Devices with Bluetooth Capability + Siri Compatible - 10 hours Playtime Rechargeable Battery / with Built-in Mic for use as a Powerful Hands-free Speakerphone [100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - WE GUARANTEE YOU WILL LOVE IT!] (Silver)
Offered by F&W Trading

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun to use in wet areas, 28 Jan. 2015
The AquaAudio CUBO is a waterproof bluetooth wireless "IUltra Portable Stereo" speaker with a suction cup. It is my latest portable speaker sent to me to give an honest review by the company that makes them.

I have had a number of portable speakers so was interested to try out this one sent to me by the company, for review. I am a huge fan of bluetooth speakers. The most important things to me is portability and sound quality. This speaker is very portable being light and quite small (the size of a square guinea pig) and has a really nice rich sound for the size. It's a synch to set up with bluetooth - just switch the unit on and search for it from your phone or tablet and it finds "Aqua-Audio" immediately. The speaker is Bluetooth version 3 compatible.

First time in you will need to plug the USB cable into your PC or other USB adaptable power unit to charge the unit. The micro-USB to USB cable is included. It says that it takes approximately 2-2.5 hours to charge and then can be used for anywhere between 3-10 hours, probably dependent upon volume.

I should mention that, like most splashproof, bluetooth speakers, the is no aux-in port.

On the base of the speaker is a large suction pad so that you can stick it on the tiles in the bathroom for when you are having a shower or a bath. It really does work a treat - although you must remember to take out the mains and put the rubber seal back in to protect this port from water ingress.

On the top of the unit is the power on/off switch, a play/pause button, a fast forward button, a remind button and then separate volume up/down buttons.

Kent's Kitchen Beef Gravy 220 g (Pack of 3)
Kent's Kitchen Beef Gravy 220 g (Pack of 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Won't go back to granules, 28 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
On the gourmet scale, you have powder or granules (which seem to be mainly chemicals), moist stock cubes, and then gravy concentrate. I use curry paste in preference to curry powder and this is similar. Mine arrived with a best before end of June for the three tubes. And as I understand it, you can still use something after the best before date without health implications so this shouldn't be a problem. That said, I doubt I'll have any left by June.

When you open the pot, it smells deliciously of that really old-fashioned beefy aroma. You get a flavoursome, thick, dark gravy with very little effort. I don't like my gravy too salty and this one isn't. Is perfect. It's also reassuring that there is no long list of unpronounceable chemicals on the pack. You can add a teaspoon to beef dishes where you would normally add - say, Worcester sauce. For example to beef pie, beef stew, cottage pie and spaghetti Bolognese and it really perks up the flavour. For special occasions, add a slug of red wine. Likewise, try adding stout.

The other thing I like is that it is gluten-free, because my mother-in-law is gluten intolerant, so that's really helpful.

The only thing that does puzzle me is that it recommends "keep me in the store cupboard after opening". Is this: you can... or you must...? My impulse is to refrigerate after opening...

This is a winner for me on the basis of convenience and flavour, and it's pretty much `additive' free.

Fisher-Price Soothe and Glow Owl - Brown
Fisher-Price Soothe and Glow Owl - Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Beethoven's 9th is not a lullaby., 27 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is actually smaller than I was anticipating. It's 6" x 6" round. It comes fully operational. It takes two AA batteries. You press the central area and the middle lights up. It makes just two 'charming' hoot-hoot sounds then plays two bars of twangy tunes which gradually gets slower. Then it starts up with the next tune. The box says 'lullabies' but they are nursery rhymes at best such as Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and Frere Jacques. There is a hymn, Jesu, Joy of Man's Desire, then there is The Lover's Concerto and Beethoven's 9th, Ode to Joy (the noisy bit). This plays for 15 minutes. The light turns off after five minutes.

Pros:
The teething 'feet' is a brilliant innovation. What a clever idea!
The way that each song slows down towards the end could have the effect of lulling baby off to sleep.
The fabric owl is machine washable.
There are eight tunes.

Cons:
You switch the toy off by pressing the central button. But you have to press and hold it down for two seconds. I'm not sure a small child is going to get the hang of this easily. (It fazed my wife for a while...)
It's only got one volume setting -- loud.
The internal apparatus is quite bulky. Out of the casing it measures 4 cm x 8 cm x 10 cm. This means that the toy is not that cuddly with a great plastic brick inside.
The tunes aren't 'lullabies'. Some of the tunes aren't very soothing. I was expecting actual lullabies or soothing, swooshy whale noises.
Just as baby is lulled off to sleep with one tune, another one starts up quite loud, so I'm not finding much mileage in the lullaby aspect.
The size of the toy is a bit big for a cuddly toy but a bit small for a cushion.
It suggests you switch the toy off once you finish playing with it, but if it's supposed to be a night-time, drop-off-to-sleep-with toy, that's not very do-able.

This looked like a really great idea: a cuddly cushion that played soothing music, which doubles as a night light and teething ring. I expected the instructions to tell me how careful research had gone into this toy, and how the choice of the tunes and the specific volume had all been carefully analysed for baby - nope.

Conclusion: It's a good idea not quite there. If you're giving this to your little loved one, do be sure to coach him or her on how to switch the thing off.

Best iPhone and iPad Car Charger - Iconic Gold trim with sleek black body - Apple Certified for iPhone 6 5 5S 5C 4 4S, iPad 2 3 4, iPad mini & Air, iPod, Dual USB Ports - Also works with Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 S3, Note 4 3 2, Pro, Tab S 4 3 2, any Android, HTC One M8 M7 X, Nokia, Motorola, Nexus 4 5 7. 2 Smart Ports! Use in Automobile, Caravan, Van and any 12v supply! LED Illuminated, Portable & Rapid Cigarette Battery Charger for Travel. Black & White. High Power & High Speed! Buy this Stylish Premium Charger Now! Limited Quantities!
Offered by PrecisionMobility

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy yet stylish, 27 Jan. 2015
On the occasions when my plastic charger falls into the passenger-seat footwell, my wife quite often manages to crunch it underfoot. For this reason I was delighted to test this super sleek one for the manufacturer free of charge. It's the most sturdy charge I have seen to date. The nasty, little black charger has now gone in the bin and this is my car charger of choice. The build quality looks impressive. It's a very stylish gadget. It's nice to use and to hold. Reassuringly, you know it's working because the ports light up green when it's connected. This has a great solid feel to it. There's a choice of two ports 2.1 amp and 1.0 amp. This would make a great gift for any auto fanatic.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Sena SNOWTALK-01 Bluetooth Headset and Intercom
Sena SNOWTALK-01 Bluetooth Headset and Intercom

5.0 out of 5 stars Pairing two sets, 26 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
What you get out of the box is a pair of medium-sized headphones attached to each other by a thin cable, a USB charging cable and some fleecy earmuff covers for the speakers. You wear then against the nape of your neck, not over your hear so your hat size should't be an issue.

These headphones come with a pictorial Quickstart guide which wasn't too quick for me because I had to resort to the online help manual which, thankfully, had actual words in it at www.sena.com. Neither set was charged when they arrived so first, you need to charge up both sets. When it needs charging the light on the charging port glows red - unfortunately for me since I'm colourblind. When the set is charged the light on the port glows blue. All you need to do to switch the headphones on is press the central button on both headphones and you hear a message "Hello". You then get a blue light flash on and off so you know they are on. To turn them off again you simply press both central buttons and you know it's off because it tells you 'Goodbye'. If you don't, use them for a few minutes, they switch themselves off, to save battery life, presumably.

I had no trouble paring one headset to my phone. You simply switch on the headset and the Bluetooth facility and get it to search for the device whilst you press the right hand button on the headset. Keep this button pressed and you will hear 'Phone pairing' and it will tell you when it has successfully paired. 'Snowtalk' headset then shows up on your phone and I could press to connect. Once connected I was able to listen to music through my phone wirelessly through the headset. Sound quality is excellent and goes very loud. You can then pause, play and track backwards by pressing the button on your left ear. If you want to adjust the volume and track forward this is the button on your right ear. The right ear button is also the one you need to use to answer a phone call. (Remember to take the Quickstart leaflet with you on your holiday because initially, I couldn't remember what button did what.)

I had a little bit more trouble paring the intercoms because it doesn't actually tell you it's done, but it is quite straightforward. You just make sure both the speakers are turned on and then press both left headset buttons for five seconds. There is bleeping and flashing and then you tap either one of the left-hand headset buttons and that's it. It doesn't tell you it's successful and there's no flashing lights or message but if you speak into the microphone on the right earpiece and listen with the other headset, you will hear yourself speaking.

Once you have finished all the pairing, you fit them into your ski helmet. I guess these could also be worn in helmets for any other off-road sport where hearing road noises isn't necessary for safety.

You can use them off piste, too out of the helmet. They clip round the back of your head and are quite comfy. There are also nice and warm if the weather is freezing. Actually, I've taken to wearing these just out for walks rather than regular headphones because they are warm and comfortable.

Other options: you can share your music if you're in close proximity so if you are sitting next to someone on a cable car, you can both listen to the same tune, which is companionable. The other thing I like is that they have an aux in jack, so I am able to plug in my MP3 player which isn't Bluetooth. You just need a 3.5 mm audio jack which isn't supplied in the pack. Obviously you have a wire trailing from your MP3 player to the headset but at least you aren't limited to just listening to stuff you have downloaded to your phone. If you want to do this remember to source and pack the cable before you set off for your hols.

Revlon ColorStay Makeup For Normal/Dry Skin - 30 ml
Revlon ColorStay Makeup For Normal/Dry Skin - 30 ml

3.0 out of 5 stars Long lasting, 25 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This review is for the shade 150 'Buff'. It's an oil-free formula. Its strength lies in its staying power. If this is important to you this may be a good choice. It's good on normal skin but it might not be so great on very dry or mature skin.

Pros:

This foundation applies nicely, whether you use your fingertips or a sponge, and blends in easily.
You get a nice big bottle of 30 mL.
It offers sun factor protection of 20, which is excellent.
It's long-lasting and doesn't wear or rub off easily once it is dry. It passed the pulling of a'white polo neck jumper' test very impressively. Indeed, the sample I put on my forearm did not wash off in the shower. (2nd pic shows after scrubbing it off in the shower!)
Buff is an excellent shade for those with a pale complexion.
It's nice and light - it doesn't feel heavy and doesn't give that horrible pancake look.

Cons:

This colour shade 'Buff' is very pale - it is essentially 'pale ivory'. (See 1st pic.) I (Auntie Barbar) do have a pale complexion but this was even a little pale for me. This won't be any good if you like to add a bit of warmth.
It has a bit of a perfumery smell when you first apply it but that does go off. I'm not particularly keen on it, though.
For this price, I would have expected a pump. Not only does a pump make it easier to use, but it is also more hygienic and keeps the foundation fresher. So it looses a star.
It's a big glass bottle and is going to weigh down and take up room in your make-up bag.
It says it's for normal to dry skin but it's not moisturising. (At least it isn't on me.)
It's a very light foundation and may not cover high-colouring, dark circles or blemishes completely.

In conclusion: if you want a long-lasting but lightweight foundation, this is a good option but if your skin is very dry you'll need plenty of moisturiser below it, which may result in it not lasting quite so long. Speaking from a cosmetologist point of view, the main ingredient (according to the label on the bottle) is cyclopentasiloxane, which is a silicone. It imparts a lubricity to the product and this is what gives it its silky feeling. The second ingredient is water, so this foundation really is favouring longevity over moisturisation. The third ingredient is titanium dioxide and then not much farther down is zinc oxide. Those are the sunscreens that tend to impart a rather whited-out look.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Gun Street Girl: Sean Duffy 4 (Detective Sean Duffy 4)
Gun Street Girl: Sean Duffy 4 (Detective Sean Duffy 4)
by Adrian McKinty

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking read, 23 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Adrian McKinty keeps getting better and better. This is the fourth in the series and it is a cracking read. It's intelligently plotted and manages to be entertaining along the way, too. This is my second Duffy thriller and I'm very glad I discovered the series.If you're of a certain age it takes you back to the 'good' old 80s. McKinty seems to have got all the regional colloquialisms spot on, this time round (as far as I could tell). Highly recommended! It deserves its five stars.

Philips Sonicare HX9352 DiamondClean - tooth brush - black
Philips Sonicare HX9352 DiamondClean - tooth brush - black
Offered by Zafash Pharmacy

5.0 out of 5 stars Best on the market, 21 Jan. 2015
Sonic toothbrushes are far and away more effective at shifting plaque, so I always use of sonic now. You don't need to take my word for it, you will soon feel the difference because your teeth will feel much smoother against your tongue. Once you get used to the feeling of smoothness on your teeth, it's easy then to tell when the plaque is building up again.
⦁ I have been fortunate to try both top-of-the-range toothbrushes from Braun and Philips and I actually had to stop using the Braun and go back to my old Philip Sonciare because it wasn't getting my teeth as clean.
⦁ The Philips DiamondClean head is the best toothbrush I have found. It's got a small head, its bristles are fine and it does an extremely good job of cleaning. I find Braun toothbrush heads overdesigned, bulky and I find the bristles thick and scratchy.
⦁ Philip Soniccare will last around three weeks on one charge. Braun lasts around 10 days.
⦁ Philip Sonicare is quieter than Braun, which is very noisy. This model sounds exactly the same as my previous model and they are both reasonably quiet. Yes, you can hear them but it's just the noise you would expect - like an industrious bee buzzing.
⦁ Phillips has a hygiene travel cap- Braun doesn't.
⦁ Phillips and Braun have pretty much the same settings but I only use 'clean' normally.
⦁ I find Phillips more innovative than Braun - for example Braun has a rather useless timer app but Phillips has a developed a stylish glass charger. Incidentally, the glass charger will charge my old Philips Sonicare toothbrush as well.
⦁ Phillips travel case is more stylish and attractive than Braun's.
⦁ Philip also offers the ability to charge from your PC, but I already have enough things plugged into my PC and don't need to add a toothbrush. I must admit, I love the option that can charge the toothbrush closed in its case, although you do need to provide your own three-pin conversion plug.
⦁ My one reservation is that the DiamondClean replacement heads are expensive and most of the cheap replica heads are useless. (I have found one supplier that makes a reasonable substitute when times is hard.)

For me, Philip Sonicare is head and shoulders above top-of-the-range Braun. If my Philips sonic toothbrush broke, I would buy a replacement rather than make do for long with my backup toothbrush, which is a top-of-the-range Braun. So, if the price is right when you shop for your toothbrush, I have no hesitation in recommending Phillips Sonicare DiamondClean 300. Of course, you can opt for any Phillips Sonicare toothbrush If you don't want the flashy extras, they all do a great job.

Philips Sonicare HX9332/04 DiamondClean Rechargeable Toothbrush White
Philips Sonicare HX9332/04 DiamondClean Rechargeable Toothbrush White

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best!, 21 Jan. 2015
⦁ Phillips has a hygiene travel cap- Braun doesn't.
⦁ Phillips travel case is more stylish and attractive than Braun's.
⦁ I should also mention that it won't fit the old-style charger. (But the old style design will charge on this charger if you set it in the glass.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20