Profile for Uncle Barbar > Reviews

Content by Uncle Barbar
Top Reviewer Ranking: 80

Uncle Barbar (Essex, England)
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Beverly Hills Formula Perfect White Sensitive Whitening Toothpaste 2-pack.
Beverly Hills Formula Perfect White Sensitive Whitening Toothpaste 2-pack.
Offered by Purity Laboratories

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective desensitizing and whitening in the same tube., 31 Oct 2014
This double packet, which I received from the manufacturer free of charge to review, is labelled 'fresh mint'. I'm glad to say that it doesn't blow your head off, but has a very pleasant, mild taste. The tube is 125ml, 25ml more than my regular brand of sensitive touthpaste.

The active ingredient for sensitivity (according to the packet) is potassium nitrate. This acts as a nerve desensitiser. It can take between two and four weeks for the desensitization to build up, so it's best to stick with it it even if you don't get instant results like some of the other brands claim to give. Quite a few of the well-known brands of sensitive toothpaste are based on potassium nitrate, so if this treatment suits you, as it does me, you'll be fine with Beverly Hills Formula sensitive.

The whitening ingredient is hydrated silica. This is a pretty standard ingredient in whitening toothpaste. According to the packet, this is one of the less abrasive ones, which is good to know.

I find the effective desensitizing and gentle whitening actions work really in this toothpaste.

Charles Wilson Zip Neck Fine Knit Cotton Jumper
Charles Wilson Zip Neck Fine Knit Cotton Jumper

5.0 out of 5 stars I've never looked so good!!, 31 Oct 2014
This is a very useful lightweight jumper, which I was very pleased to get the chance to review free of charge from Charles Wilson. Even in cold weather I always find it useful to have a lightweight cotton jumper to wear because restaurants, offices and the like can be quite stuffy in the winter. This one is great for layering. I really like the stripey insert inside the collar. This makes it look really stylish. I also like the suede placket on the zip tab. This adds a really classy touch to the garment. You just don't get that type of attention to detail on the High Street. The 9 inch zip is a chunky brass patinated zip which is very sturdy. At the top of the collar is a button, just in case you do need to keep out the draft.

I am a 44 chest and generally by XXL. This XXL fitted me perfectly. It measures 24.5 inches from underarm to underarm, unstretched. The sleeve measurement is 29 inches (plenty long enough). The length is a very generous 30.5 inches and should still be fine for taller guys. The colour is dark navy, and there is a thin, white stripe just above the cuff ribbing. There is also 3 inch ribbing at the base. It's plenty roomy enough to wear over a shirt.

The jumper is labelled 100% cotton and is washable at 40°. There is also a spare button provided – always a good sign of a quality undergarment. The finish is excellent and the fabric is soft to the touch. I have several Charles Wilson garments and they wash up good as new.

This jumper gets a very well-deserved five stars. It's a really welcome addition to my wardrobe.

Qumox @ Ear Temperature LCD Digital IR Infrared Medical Baby Adult Thermometer Safe
Offered by Locoisle777

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes reading in just a second!, 29 Oct 2014
I was pleased to be given the chance to review this thermometer free of charge by the manufacturer. It's lightweight and comes in a case. You press the on/recall button at the back. The thermometer beeps, gives a 00.0 reading and is ready to use. You insert it into the ear canal, fairly firmly, and press the big scan button on the front. It takes the reading in less than a second then beeps when it has done.

My temperature, when I tested it, showed around 37° C. The accuracy appears to be sufficient to detect fever. It switches itself off. There is also a facility for saving the temperature recordings in the memory. This is such a big improvement on my old thermometer, I wish I had switched years ago.

Lake District: Low Level and Lake Walks (British Walking)
Lake District: Low Level and Lake Walks (British Walking)
by Vivienne Crow

5.0 out of 5 stars Colourful, clear and concise - a great guide for those of us whose knees aren't quite up to the fells anymore!, 27 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have walked quite a few walks in Lake District, many of the more popular fells, but as I'm growing older I preferred the more genteel walks without all of the climbing and descending. Therefore this guide was written for people like me, getting a little older, a little fatter, and with their knees and hips aching a bit!

This is a nice colourful 190 page guide to walking some of the lower-level valley and lake walks. It is full of colourful reproduction Ordnance Survey maps and beautiful pictures of the scenery - I always like to see what sort of landmarks I am going to be seeing so I can make a more informed judegement on what walk I will be doing this time - so for me these pictures are imperitive.

Most of the walks are circular - others need public transport to bring you back to start point - which I am always reluctant to do - I hate waioting around for buses and (if the public transport in Cumbria is anything it is like round my little village in Essex) can be unreliable.

I like the table of information which gives you details of where to start and finish, the distance, total ascent, gradient, walking time, terrain, which maps to use, refreshments available and whether transport is needed (to get from finish back to start). All of this info is set out clearly. Likewise, the OS map with route superimposed, is nice and clear.

The desrciptions of the actual walk, along with the accompanying interesting facts/places to see/history is really excellent. I am a big fan of the Hardknott Pass/Fort (being a history buff) and so was particularly interested in seeing the description of this, and Vivienne Crow is spot on. So, I've already pencilled this walk, along with a couple of others, for the next time I visit the area (next Spring hopefully).

All in all, this is a great little book - I agree with some others that it is not the cheapest book around, but you have to pay for quality and this is a well researched and written book for those of us who want to explore the Lake District area some more, but don't want all of the climbing involved with other walks (and books) available. So, for me and others like me, it is spot on!

Ring Automotive RLS1 Bungeeclic Load Strapping Bungee Tie Down Kit Hooks and Clips Stretchy Rope
Offered by Auto-Accessorize

3.0 out of 5 stars Clever innovation but not sure about value for money, 27 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's a bit less than I was expecting from the pictures. They appear to show more length of bungee than is in the pack. This pack is described as an '8 piece pack'. Five of those pieces are hooks and a connector. One of the advertising pictures shows a box secured with bungees using two connectors. You only get one connector in this pack. The advertising picture also appears to show a type of hook that you can insert the end of the bungee into to grip it, if the bungee is a bit too long. I didn't get any of these hooks in my pack. Two of the bungees are really short. What you actually end up with, for your money, is two lengths of around 33 inch bungees, with a hook on each end.

The three bungees measure: 30cm (45cm stretched), 60cm (90cm stretched), and 90cm (135cm stretched). You get two locking hooks and two J hooks, which attach to the ends of the bungees. You also get a joining component. They all come in a reinforced paper carrying pouch.

I suppose you use the 30cm length as an extension for the other two since it is a bit short to be that useful.

The system itself works well. You take the fitting, press it onto the end of the bungee, twist and it locks on. However, you only get one connector, so you can't link all three together. You use the J hook to connect to the locking hook for a fairly secure bond.

The product is good quality, and the lock-together function works effectively, but I'm not sure this is worth the extra money, compared to the regular bungee hooks you can pick up from the DIY store for half the price.

It's quite a clever innovation but I'm not sure bungee technology needed a rethink...They do look flashier, though - and have their own little bag. That said, I wasn't supplied with the special gripper hook in the picture. Maybe I wouldn't have found it useful, but it would be nice to have had another connector tube and all the hooks featured in the pictures.

Case Logic Surefit Classic Universal Folio for 8 inch Tablets - Black
Case Logic Surefit Classic Universal Folio for 8 inch Tablets - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy viewing platform for my Nexus 7, 27 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My Nexus 7" fits perfectly into this 8 inch tablet case. (At least, it did once I got it fitted the right way up!) It's a universal case, but it's attractively designed and feels good quality. The two elastic straps go over the two top corners of the tablet. These miss the screen on my Nexus 7 so don't obscure anything. The elastic does overlay the volume button but it's a long button and I'm not finding this too much of a problem. The base clips into the metal clip at the bottom. It's a nice sturdy, firm hold -- not too snug or loose. The packaging states the maximum tablet size is 8.7" x 5.5". The packaging also states there are multiple viewing angles. There are four: on the base, there are three slots so you can set the tablet fairly upright or tilted to 2 lesser angles. These modes are good for viewing movies etc. If you want a flat viewing angle, you can turn the case back on itself and have it nearly flat. This mode is useful for inputting text at a desk or on your lap.

Once the tab is seated in the slot, it sits there quite snugly and securely. When you are done, you simply flip the top closed. There is an elastic strap which keeps the case shut.

It's a very firm and sturdy case and does give quite a degree of protection. However, it is probably only suitable to use inside. Since three edges are open, if I transport my tablet, I put it in a padded zip case for added protection. I use this mainly as a viewing stand.

The packaging states a '25 year quality guarantee'. Not too sure how you work that, but it sounds impressive.

One lats thing I will mention, it does not fit the Lenovo Yoga Tablet because of the Lenovo's oversized roll edge design doesn't fit the metal slot.

This case is working well for my Nexus 7.

AVANTEK Digital Kitchen Scale, 11 lb / 5 kg Capacity, 0.05 lb / 1 g Accuracy & Ultra Slim Design
Offered by Claybox

5.0 out of 5 stars Next generation Smart scales, 27 Oct 2014
These Avantek scales have transformed the whole look of my kitchen. I can't stop admiring them. My old digital scales got too close to the hob and melted, and so I was really pleased to be offered this set, free of charge, to review.

What an improvement on the old ones! I had no idea such a great product was on the market.

First of all, the look is so much nicer than the clunky old-fashioned designs. This is a lovely, flat, black, sleek machine. The whole machine is under an inch thick. It's topped with tough tempered glass.

Gone are the days of trying to work out how to give your digital scales are good degreasing without actually getting them wet. All you need to do here is simply wipe over with a damp cloth.

You need to install 4 x AAA batteries. To switch on, you press the button marked 'TARE'. (Incidentally, 'tare' is derived from a Middle French word. 'Tare weight' refers to the weight of a container when it is empty of contents.) The machine then says `Hi' to you - which is a nice touch. It then comes up with 0g. If you want to measure lbs and ozs, you simply press the `Mode' button to switch. What I really like about the scales is that you also have the option to switch to millilitres as well. No more fiddling about holding a jug up to the light. I have tested out the scales and they seem remarkably accurate. You can weigh up to 5 kg - 11 lb.

The display is good and bold, and easy to see, with no flickering. The scale switch themselves off automatically after 60 seconds, but you can switch them off yourself, if you prefer, by pressing the `TARE' button and holding it until the display goes.

As with many digital scales, you place the bowl on the weighing area and then (in this case) press the TARE button. The machine then discounts the weight of the bowl and just weighs your ingredients. However, these Avantek digital scales go one stage further. If you press the TARE button again, it discounts those ingredients and weight the next ones from scratch. (This is called net weight calculation). This means that you don't have to have lots of bowls to lined up to put your flour, water and fat etc. in whilst you weigh them all out. You can weigh them all in the same bowl consecutively. This is a brilliant feature and feels really new-age. As a keen cook, these digital scales are a real asset to my kitchen.

I am so pleased with these sturdy, beautiful, excellent quality scales. If I could give them more than five stars, I would.

Charles Wilson Full Zip Fine Knit Cotton Jumper (XX-Large, Plain Black)
Charles Wilson Full Zip Fine Knit Cotton Jumper (XX-Large, Plain Black)
Offered by Charles Wilson Clothing

5.0 out of 5 stars A generously sized, lightweigh zip-up jumper, great for layering., 26 Oct 2014
I received this versatile, fine knit, black cotton, zip jumper from Charles Wilson free of charge to review. Being 100% cotton and fine knit, this is lightweight yet warm. What I really like about it is it's marvellously soft to the touch - not that hard cotton fabric you sometimes find.

It's labelled 'Plain black' and it's a good, dark shade of black - if you know what I mean. (If cheap dyes are used, the result can be more like purple or grey after a few washes). It has a full length, good strong patinated brass zip that looks like it will last the life of the jumper and then some.

I buy an XXL and am chest size 44 inches. I was really pleased to find this is a generous XXL. There's nothing worse-looking than a tight zip-up sweater. Underarm to underarm measures 26 1/2 inches unstretched. The length is very generous at 31 inches. The sleeve length is great at 29 inches, with 3 inch welts, which can be used as turn ups.

I have found this Jjmper such a useful addition to my wardrobe because it can be worn in a fashionable layered effect, or simply just to add warmth with minimal extra bulk. I'm a convert. I really love this zip jumper. It's better quality than a lot of other brands I've tried over the years and excellent value. It comes highly recommended from me!

Charles Wilson Heritage Range Zip Neck Premium Wool Blend Jumper
Charles Wilson Heritage Range Zip Neck Premium Wool Blend Jumper

5.0 out of 5 stars Supersoft wool mix makes this one a winner!!, 26 Oct 2014
I'm over the moon with this heavyweight, woolly, zip neck jumper from Charles Wilson which I recieved free of charge to review. I generally buy an XXL, and the Charles Wilson sizing was perfect for me. Underarm to underarm, laid flat, it measures 25 inches. The length is really generous, being 31 inches. The sleeve length is 29 1/2 inches, with a 3 inch welts, so you can turn the cuff up if you need to.

The colour is labelled as 'Bastion grey'. I would describe it as mid-grey, and slightly darker than the above picture – it's not a blocky colour either, and has some varying tones to it, what with it being made with real wool. It also has a decorative stitch down the arm which is a nice touch.

The zip at the neck is 10 inches long. The zip itself is a good strong patinated brass zip, which doesn't look like it's going to jam up any time soon. It's nicely finished with a leather-look pull to the zip – it's these little touches I like.

This jumper should wash up well (wash at 40°) because it is 20% wool, 65% cotton and 15% nylon. The wool content really makes it appreciably warmer than my acrylic jumpers. I should also add that although the composition is part wool, it's lovely and soft and not at all itchy scratchy against the skin.

With the wool content and the 3.5 inch turnup collar, I'm all set for winter.

Charles Wilson Heritage Range Button Neck Premium Wool Blend Jumper
Charles Wilson Heritage Range Button Neck Premium Wool Blend Jumper

5.0 out of 5 stars A really warm, winter winner!!, 26 Oct 2014
This is a fantastic chunky, button neck jumper, which I received from Charles Wilson free of charge to review. Because it is made with 20% wool, it's much warmer than my acrylic jumpers (now binned). It has a good stand-up collar which is great at keeping out the drafts. This jumper feels marvellously soft to the touch and isn't at all scratchy when worn. The added bonus also is that cotton and wool mix jumpers last so much longer than their acrylic counterparts, which go bobbly after a couple of washes. The 20% wool, 65% cotton and 15% nylon mix means it will wash up as good as new. The jumper is machine washable at 40°.

I am 44 inch chest and this Charles Wilson XXL fits perfectly, with a nice amount of room to spare, which I like in a jumper. The chest measurement, unstretched, is 26 inches when laid flat. The other thing I really like is that this jumper is nice and long. The length measures 31 inches. I was also pleased to find a good sleeve length at 29 inches. There are generous, 3 inch welts on the cuff (so you can turn the cuffs up if you need to).

The colour is named as 'Winchester brown'. It's an attractive biscuit colour with several tones to it - I guess that comes from the addition of real wool in the mix. (I'd say it is slightly deeper shade than the photo above.)It also has a decorative stitch down the arm.

There are three large buttons to the neck. Each button has the Charles Wilson name on. (There's also a spare button on the label.)

The finish is impeccable. In fact, I'm finding the Charles Wilson brand has a far better finish and fabric quality then I'm finding on the High Street -- and they are a good deal cheaper, too! If I could give it more stars, I would.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20