Profile for Uncle Barbar > Reviews

Content by Uncle Barbar
Top Reviewer Ranking: 86

Uncle Barbar (Essex, England)
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
UGREEN Premium Ultra Slim 3.5mm Auxiliary Audio Flat Cable 90 Degree Right Angle Compatible for iPhone, iPad or Smartphones, Tablets, Media Players (1.5ft, Black)
Offered by UGREEN GROUP LIMITED UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Best quality audio jack I've had yet!, 20 Dec 2014
I do a LOT of listening to music and audio books through mp3 players, tablets and mobile phones often via external mobile speakers and so the quality of the audio cables I use is extremely important to me - but it is very difficult to find one which is reasonable priced AND very good quality. I am pleased to report I have now found one!

This audio cable is 1.5 feet (around 0.5 meters) long - and of a thin black type within which is housed "Oxygen-free copper) to ease connectivity. It has one straight end and one at a 90 degree angle which will help with many different types of devices which have cases surrounding them (Tablets and phones in particular)

I was sent this item free of charge to write an honest review - which is exactly what I have done. The fact that it was free to me has not influenced my review in the slightest. The quality from the audio really does sound better! This is simply the best quality audio jack I've had yet! And I will be purchasing another couple for my collection!

Dreams of Joy
Dreams of Joy

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthwhile read, 20 Dec 2014
This review is from: Dreams of Joy (Kindle Edition)
I enjoy Lisa See's works. I always find them a very good balance of great storytelling and historical education. I found this a little hard going in places. The subject matter was quite unrelenting at times. Suffice it to say that The Cultural Revolution and Chairman Mao's 'Great Leap' Forward' don't come out of this very well… All in all, though it was a satisfying read as are most of See's works.

Broken
Broken

3.0 out of 5 stars Kept me reading but only out of morbid fascination, 20 Dec 2014
This review is from: Broken (Kindle Edition)
This is difficult to categorise. It's certainly not feelgood fiction and I wouldn't recommend it as a holiday read and it's certainly not going to be everybody's cup of tea Since it contains a lot of expletives and physical and mental violence. I found some of the bad language and plot devices repetitive. The overuse of any one word in fiction is always likely to grate after a while. Clay comments that his starting point was the family in To Kill A Mockingbird. So, Scout must be Skunk and Jem must be Jed, with Mr Cunningham as Atticus Finch. That's where the similarity ended for me. (I would have preferred Skunk to have been called Susan and Susan to have been called Skunk, though.) He does state that his influences were Stephen King and James Herbert.

I didn't find the writing humorous enough to be satirical and I didn't find it poignant enough to be moving but it did keep me reading mostly out of morbid fascination. I suppose that's one way to get a readership...

[8-Pack] PLEMO Microfiber Cleaning Cloths Tissues for Cell Phones, Tablets, Lenses, Computer Screens and Other Delicate Surfaces

5.0 out of 5 stars A great versatile pack of cleaning cloths, 20 Dec 2014
These are such useful all-purpose cleaning cloths. You get 8 in a pack which is excellent value and they are really good quality. Most people find that their tablet screens get greasy due to the oil on your fingers. I use a dry cloth to wipe over it a few times a day. My tablet screen is just plain glass, so once a week, I use one of these clothes dampened with a tiny bit of dilute detergent and give the surface of my tablet a soaping, which really does take the grease off. I then dry it off thoroughly with a third cloth.

The other thing my wife uses them for is cleaning jewellery. These cloths are lovely and soft and so versatile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really durable cloths, 20 Dec 2014
I am really pleased with these high quality, soft cleaning cloths. They are much nicer than the cloth that is usually sent along with many electricals. They do a really great job on television screens, PC screens, tablets, phones, glasses and even camera lenses. You can use then wet or dry with no fear of scrathing the surface. They can be washed if they get a bit grubby over time. The silver grey and dark grey set has a silky smooth finish (you can just about see this in the pic). The grey and blue set has more of a suede like finish and is great for jewellery cleaning as well as scene cleaning.

Always Discreet Large Incontinence Pants - Pack of 80
Always Discreet Large Incontinence Pants - Pack of 80

5.0 out of 5 stars Picture Comparison of Large incontinence PANTS and Long incontinence PADS, 20 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The recipient of these pads was very satisfied with both the large incontinence pants and the long incontinence pants. Her only comment was that she found the scent a little strong compared to her normal brand. This review compares and contrasts the above pads with pictures. The large incontinence pants are pictured in the first two pictures. The third picture is the pants on a small torso pillow. The fourth and fifth pictures are the pants on a larger torso (It's a cushion you put your feet on to prevent thrombosis). These photos show the pad positioning in the front and in the back. I guess you can put them whichever way round you need most protection. The sixth photo shows the long incontinence pad compared with the large incontinence pants. The final photo shows the long incontinence pad on its own .The rule is a 12 inch rule.
Comment Comment | Permalink

PLEMO Classic Black Auto Open Oversized Stick Umbrella (54 in / 137 cm Diameter)
Offered by Avantek UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great golfing umbrella for those who don't do garish, 20 Dec 2014
This is a really nice quality umbrella. It's 36 inches in height but it's not heavy. It weighs 520 g. It's just right for the taller gent and it also doubles nicely as a walking stick. This umbrella has a very reliable opening mechanism.It doesn't open quickly and suddenly, it's a quite controlled zonk-zonk process. The fabric looks like it will be durable. So far, it hasn't blown inside-out in high winds. It's a great size - you can get yourself and a couple of people under the umbrella if need be. It has a smooth plastic handle and a slightly spongy ferrule on the bottom. It doubles as a really excellent golfing umbrella for those who don't do garish.

I Hear the Sirens in the Street: Sean Duffy 2 (Detective Sean Duffy 2)
I Hear the Sirens in the Street: Sean Duffy 2 (Detective Sean Duffy 2)
by Adrian McKinty

5.0 out of 5 stars Polished prose, 18 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm a bit late to the party with the Sean Duffy thrillers but I'm very glad I've discovered them now. I'd heard good things about Adrian McKinty's work and am pleased to say they're all true. This story is set in 1980s Belfast – not something I generally be drawn to -but it was a great read and thoroughly deserves its five stars. His prose style is polished and suffused with a wry wit which makes every page sparkle. He even uses words I don't know such as kakistocracy – a regime run by the worst candidates available. (I'd love to think that originates from 'cack'.) I'm pleased to have discovered a literary writer of detective fiction. I shall look forward to the next Sean Duffy thriller.

Kitchen Basics Ultra-Durable Tri-Blade Vegetable Turning Spiral Slicer / Spiralizer for Zucchini, Potatoes, Squash, Carrots, Cucumbers, etc. / Design vegetable stir-fries or pasta dishes / Decorate serving dishes / Veggie Slicer Cutter to Make Healthy Zucchini Noodles Spaghetti Pasta Dishes; Substitute Noodles and Spaghetti Pasta Recipes with Gluten Free & Low Carb Easy Vegetable Noodles Meals Ideas (White/Green)
Offered by F&W Trading

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun, works quite well., 15 Dec 2014
Ultra durable tri-blade vegetable slicer

This kitchen utensil comes fully made with the body of the item and 3 separate cutting inserts which act in different ways to chip/slice/shred the vegetables.

It's got an A4 "instruction and warranty" piece of paper with pictures of how to use the three types of slicing insets.

It works pretty well as long as you ensure that the vegetables are firmly attached to the "food holder". You then simply fit the metal chopping insert you want to employ and turn the handle which connects the vegetable with the slicing mechanism. The vegetables then come out as variously sized slices of food. It's fun - the kids will love it.

Unsure as to its use long term as it does take up quite a lot of cupboard/worktop space but it does cut potatoes and beetroots nicely and I've used it a few times already.

Escape Fitness Ultra Flex Hard Foam Roller - Green, 45.7 x 14.9 cm
Escape Fitness Ultra Flex Hard Foam Roller - Green, 45.7 x 14.9 cm

4.0 out of 5 stars Stretch that body!, 13 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've had a troublesome hip for about 18 months and my Osteopath recommended this product: ResultSport EVA Foam Roller - Blue - 15x45cm (6"x18") which I have been using for the past year or so when I got the chance to review this new hard foam version by "Escape Fitness" I decided to try it out.

There is a short video on Amazon accompanied with this product but no instructions that come with the roller - not even any pictures on (or in) the box to give you some indication of how it is best to use it. Luckily for me, as I've been using a similar type for so long this was not really a problem for me. Most of the exercises necessary have you "rolling" on top of the roller - with it under either side of your body or back or front. For my hip problem I roll my hips (in order) up and down the roller for abouut half of my body and I can feel my muscles and soft tissues stretching a little. I can do this for a few minutes or until it becomes uncomfortable. However, we are all different with different problems/aches/issues so please seek advice for yourself in case this activity is not good for you.

This is harder than the blue hard foam one I quoted above and therefore it begins to "hurt" before the other one does but I do really feel that both are giving my hip/lower back a good stretch and work out - hence the 4 stars.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20