Profile for Uncle Barbar > Reviews

Content by Uncle Barbar
Top Reviewer Ranking: 98

Uncle Barbar (Essex, England)
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
TaoTronics® Car Air Vent Phone Holder Mount Cradle for iPhone 6, Samsung S5, Moto G & Other Mobile Phones of Width 50mm - 94mm, 360 Degree Rotation
Offered by Sunvalleytek-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Best car phone mount I have found, 5 Mar. 2015
I have tested out several car phone holders and this one is my favourite. It is nice and small and lightweight. Some of the others can get very bulky. The others I have tested have had suction cups that you can only stick to the window which is not very convenient because it obscures your view out of the window and doesn't look that nice. Others have a sticky pad which sticks to the dashboard. This is a bit problematic because you can't move it and sometimes the sticky doesn't stick very well.

Now, this is a brilliant design. It has a soft plastic gripping cone on the back and it grips into the vent slots. It slots in very easily and grips really firmly – at least it does to my air vent. It feels really firmly anchored and has never fallen off.

The actual holder is similar to other holders. You simply sit your phone on the two prongs at the bottom, pull the side levers out, slot your phone in and it grips it quite firmly. Well done, TaoTronics! This design is a real hit with me!

Braun Silk Epil 9 9961 SkinSpa Wet/Dry Cordless Epilator and Sonic Epilation Brush with 6 Attachments

5.0 out of 5 stars versatile kit, 3 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The epilation head has two rotating prickled bars which sit either side of the epilator head. They have no effect on the epitation action but serve to stimulate your skin before and after the epilator head to distract you from the sting of the hair removal. It sounds gimmicky but it works quite well and feels slightly more comfortable than a regular epilator. I should also add that epilation does smart on the first occasion but hair removal tends to hurt less the more regularly you do it. I guess the hairs really don't get a chance to build up a good grip if they are continually plucked. This model's head is wider than the last one I had - although I wasn't having any trouble with the size of that. Incidentally, do make sure you are using the machine the right way round with the light illuminating your flesh. This set includes a head for facial areas. All this does is cut down the surface area to a thin slot for using on the face.

The exfoliation brush head looks like a bit of a gimmick but actually it is quite useful because it really does help to discourage ingrowing hairs which can be a real problem with epilation. I was slightly disappointed to find that it does not recommend the exfoliation brush head to be used on facial areas as I was hoping that I could get another function out of this set.

The shaver head is a good serviceable shaver head. It shaves close and there is not so much danger of ingrowing hairs. The trimmer head is useful for the bikini line area. I do find it useful to have both a shaver and an epilator head in the set because it does give you the option of epilating legs and shaving more sensitive areas,especially in the winter.

The body contact cup is designed to protect delicate areas from being caught up in workings! I never really thought about this before but it's actually quite useful and reassuring to use. I like this innovation.

The massage head is pleasant enough but it's not something I would bother with generally speaking since I don't find epilation hugely painful.

This is quick to charge and each charge lasts about 40 minutes, which is more than enough for my requirements. This machine is specifically designed to be used in the bath, you pay a premium for this facility. Therefore, if you don't feel you need the massage head or prefer to epilate dry, you could save money with a standard model which uses much the same epilator. In summary it is an effective, comfortable epilation and exfoliation set which I would recommend. (auntie barbar)

The 500 (Mike Ford 1)
The 500 (Mike Ford 1)
by Matthew Quirk

5.0 out of 5 stars A real page turner, 3 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The 500 (Mike Ford 1) (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a thriller set in the states, written in Chandler-esque Washingtonese, straight from the school of hard-boiled detective fiction. "She had black hair you could drown in, and a shape that invited lewd thoughts." You can tell Quirk had fun writing it. Here, we join protagonist Mike Ford in his first foray into wrong-righting, with hopefully more to come. Quirk's debut is a high octane page turner that never lets up. It's tremendous fun and, according to the blurb, is in development as a 'motion picture' (as opposed to a static picture?) This always room in the market for entertaining crime thrillers that doesn't take themselves too seriously. I shall look forward to Mike Ford's next outing.If you enjoyed this, try The Defence which is written in something of a similar vein.

Girl in the Dark
Girl in the Dark

5.0 out of 5 stars Transporting, 2 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Girl in the Dark (Kindle Edition)
This is a rare find, a deftly written memoir that has the ability to speak to us all. This is the true story of a woman who finds herself acutely sensitive to any form of light, artificial or natural. She has no other option but to spend her life in the dark.

Not only is it a moving tale of human endurance but it tells the story of everybody who has ever suffered or known somebody suffering from a debilitating and ill-understood health condition. It speaks to everybody who has ever felt isolated by ill-health. But it's also a tale of strength and survival and is ultimately uplifting. The author writes with a fresh eye for everything she experiences. Good memoirs have a freshness that fiction writing often lacks. And this is the best memoir I have read for long time. I hope Lyndsey will go on to write more books. She has the makings of a great novelist.

Karrimor Bodmin IV Weathertite, Men's Low Rise Hiking Shoes, Brown (Dark Brown), 10 UK (44 EU)

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm a regular buyer of Karrimor boots, 1 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am a walker and Karrimor are my boots of choice. I have had several pairs of these and can vouch for the fact that are comfortable hard-wearing and waterproof. I find they have a good gripping sole on them and keep my feet warm and dry. I find these boots size up as a standard fit. The upper is labelled as being made of suede and mesh. The suede is genuine suede. These lowrise weathertite boots don't give your ankle quite so much support when walking long distances but neither do they restrict if you want to break into a run.

Kumar and Clark's Clinical Medicine, 8e
Kumar and Clark's Clinical Medicine, 8e
by Parveen Kumar CBE BSc MD DM (HC) FRCP FRCP(Edin)

1.0 out of 5 stars Out of date in some areas, 28 Feb. 2015
On page 1162 it cites CFS as a functional (psychosomatic) disorder when the World Health Organisation and NICE list it as a neurological disorder. Woefully out of date and behind the times in some areas. Disappointing.

The Art of Waiting
The Art of Waiting
by Christopher Jory

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating novel, 25 Feb. 2015
This review is from: The Art of Waiting (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I recently read If This Is a Man By Primo Levi and this premise intrigued me because it looked in a similar vein – an Italian prisoner of war trying to make his way home to his native country.You can tell this novel was a labour of love – the characters are lovingly and the plotting is Intricately planned. There are two main characters but also several subplots which keep the narrative pacey.This is ostensibly a love story but It's more about suffering and the human condition.Jory writes evocatively and Makes every location vivid..I'm always happy to discover something a bit out of the ordinary and this is one of those books. Difficult to categorise.. I found it captivating.

Faux Sheepskin Back Support Pillow Cushion
Faux Sheepskin Back Support Pillow Cushion
Offered by Outlet Store Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars nice and comfy, 25 Feb. 2015
This cushion is working well for me. I wanted something a bit more comfortable than just a plain old lumbar roll. It's very soft and squishy just like an ordinary hollow fibre pillow but it's a slightly better shape with a couple of wings that go round below your waist. It doesn't come particularly high up the back – you still need to put a cushion under my shoulders. Another good thing about it is it that it really keeps the heat in. One thing I did do is I unpicked the little circles on it because the lumbar area was a little too deep for my comfort. So now it's more of a shaped cushion. It is nice and comfortable. Recommended.

Igenix IG3202 2 Slice Polished and Brushed Stainless Steel Finish with Stylish Blue Illuminations on Controls

5.0 out of 5 stars great toaster, 23 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It looks sleek and modern because it's stainless steel. I like the fact that there is a dial to select the toasting degree. There are also three push buttons where you can warm up your toast, defrost it or 'cancel' it. The other thing I like about it is there's no little fancy, fiddly design grooves that might look good in the showroom but have a horrible habit of collecting crumbs you then can't get to, to clean out! It's bigger than my Russell Hobbs and takes up a bit more counter space. It's 6" x 11". It looks well made and durable and is the sort of solid toaster that would do well in a communal area or an office but looks equally nice in a modern kitchen. As for its toasting capabilities - it does a very good, even job. No complaints. Comes with a two-year guarantee, too.

My one reservation is with all stainless steel gadgets that have the button labelled in black. The labels eventually wear off as you clean the steel, which you have to do regularly because it's a fingerprint magnet.

[5V/2A Adapter Fast Charge] AVANTEK 20000mAh Dual-Port 4.8A Output External Battery Pack Portable Backup USB Charger Power Bank with Smart Charging Circuit & White LED Flashlight for iPhone 6 Plus 5S 5C 5 4S, iPad Air mini, Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 S3 Note 4 3 2 Tab 4 3 2 Pro, HTC One, Google Nexus, Nokia Lumia and Other Cell Phones, Android Smartphones & Tablets
Offered by Avantek UK

5.0 out of 5 stars A great standby for when you're out and about or for power cuts, 23 Feb. 2015
I've had several things from Avantek and always find them very good quality. This battery pack is not exception. It's sturdy and has a well-made durable cable.

I live in an area which is prone to power cuts and so this battery pack is ideal. I charge it up when the power is on and keep it for when I get an outage. This way, I can carry on working when my laptop battery runs out and meet my deadlines. This also powers mobile phones, tablets and music players so it is also useful to keep one in the car for the times when you can't find anywhere to charge when you are out, or for the times when you come out but have forgotten to charge your appliance at home.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20