Profile for Uncle Barbar > Reviews

Content by Uncle Barbar
Top Reviewer Ranking: 75

Uncle Barbar (Essex, England)
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Charles Wilson Winter Woven Neck Scarf (One Size, Plain Navy)
Charles Wilson Winter Woven Neck Scarf (One Size, Plain Navy)
Offered by Charles Wilson Clothing

5.0 out of 5 stars Snug and warm, 22 Nov 2014
I can vouch for this scarf being really soft. This one is a great shade of navy. The knit is ribbed which makes it warm, but not heavy or bulky. It's a good long length measuring 64 inches, not including the tassles. It is 9.5 inches wide which means you can wrap it round your neck like a regular scarf but it's also plenty big enough to fold in half long ways and tuck one end into the loop to achieve the modern scarf knot. I would describe this as a traditional type of woolly winter scarf that you wear outside your coat or jacket. I'm really pleased with this woolly scarf which I received free of charge for review.

Sansys smart 3 in 1 Micro USB OTG/Sync/Charging cable(support USB Drive, Mouse,Keyboard,etc...) OTG Cable Adapter Micro USB to USB 2.0 Adapter Android phone Micro USB charging data cable Micro USB Extension cable Hi-Speed Portable for Samsung Galaxy S4, S3, Tab,Note 2, Sony,HTC, Motorola, LG, Nokia SPCABLE001
Offered by MLC Distribution

5.0 out of 5 stars Great build quality and compatible with all the OTG devices I tried it with, 19 Nov 2014
I was shopping for just such a cable so was delighted when the manufacturers offered me this one to review free of charge. Shopping online it is difficult to tell quality but I'm impressed with the build quality of this cable. It's very robust and solidly made. There aren't any weak joints which may lead to poor connection. This is a quality piece of kit. It's a standard USB charging cable with a micro USB port at the end. I should mention it is not that long, just over 12 inches. However, what I really like about it is, on the side of the USB port, there is an extra port which allows you to plug in OTG devices.

I had no problem connecting my mini keyboard to my tablet. I can also connect my mouse and my gaming mouse to my tablet. You can connect these devices to your phone using the same method.

If your OTGs doesn't function, make sure that the blue light is showing as illuminated. If the blue light isn't showing, simply unplug and replug and the connection will re-establish.

I really like this useful little cable. It's great quality and I have no hesitation in giving it my full recommendation.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Carte Noire No.6 Lungo Nespresso Compatible Coffee Capsules 56 g (Pack of 4)
Carte Noire No.6 Lungo Nespresso Compatible Coffee Capsules 56 g (Pack of 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value and taste, 18 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The quality of these pods is the best I've tried for Nespresso compatible pods. They fit perfectly in the machine and the coffee flows as expected.The Lungo is basically a longer version of an espresso. This one has quite a solid, hefty flavour and these compare very well to the Nespresso pods. Sometimes a lungo can taste a little more bitter because of the additional hot water dissolving more of the ground coffee. I'd be more than happy to re-oder Carte Noire because the quality is excellent.

The Fourth Hand
The Fourth Hand

4.0 out of 5 stars You have to hand it to Irving, 12 Nov 2014
This review is from: The Fourth Hand (Kindle Edition)
This was, of course, a fascinating premise and Irving got off to a blinding start. I do love literary fiction when it's well written. John Irving is an excellent writer.I suppose it is a bit of a tall order to write a whole novel around an interesting news item. Not many could do it. Irving has a darn good try.His characters are Deftly describes unbelievable.And nobody has ever descend into mawkishness or sentimentality. I suppose the plotline was a little thin but Irving's writing style was sound enough to keep me hooked till the end.

The To-Do List
The To-Do List

3.0 out of 5 stars Read how Gayle bought some pants, 12 Nov 2014
This review is from: The To-Do List (Kindle Edition)
I saw glimmers of a good book here. Who doesn't have an untackled to-do list? Who couldn't do with having a long hard think about that to-do list. Gayle's opening was something of a ramble but then he appeared to get into his stride by mentioning ambitions such as visiting the Antarctic. When he mentioned how his friend managed to live clutter-free, I imagined the rest of the book would be a personal odyssey about the importance or non-importance of possessions, the real or imagined benefits of grandiose ambitions achieved or at least attempted and the meaning of life in general. I thought there might be revelations that each reader could apply to his or her own circumstances and draw insight and Inspiration form.

What I actually got was Gayle cancelling his mothballed AOL subscription, Gayle closing his unused bank account, Gayle having a pedestrian chat with a long lost mate and - the Acme, surely of any to-do list - Gayle buying some pants.

Pinzon Hemstitch 400TC Egyptian Cotton sateen fitted sheet, Light Gray, Double 135 x 190 x 38 cm

5.0 out of 5 stars A great find, 8 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I normally pay double this price for branded fitted sheets but this one is just as good, if not better quality. It's very nicely finished. I have a double bed and a 3 inch memory foam mattress topper so I have to go to the added expense of buying king-size fitted sheets to accommodate the topper. However, I found this range fitted perfectly being 37 inches deep, which accommodated my mattress and topper with no problem.

The other thing I like about this sheet is that it is elasticated right the way round. This means that it fits the bed snugly and the sheet lays tighter and smoother. Also, if the elastic perishes, you have the option to re-thread with new elastic.

Generally, I buy percale sheet which I like to use during the summer. However, I do like sateen sheets in the winter. They feel warmer. I have washed the sheet and there was no appreciable shrinkage in the size – another sign of good quality.

I generally stick to white but the 'light grey' looks quite acceptable alongside the white. The colour reminds me of a kind of a space age silver.

When I next come to replace bedlinen I will definitely be buying from this range because it is very reasonably priced and appears to be excellent quality.

The Chaperone
The Chaperone
by Laura Moriarty

4.0 out of 5 stars Meticulously researched social history effortlessly imparted, 7 Nov 2014
This review is from: The Chaperone (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Moriarty does a very good job here with the characterisation of both Louise and Cora. I very much enjoyed the meticulously researched and effortless imparting social history of the time. I would have liked a potted biography of Louise Brooks to have been included at the end of the book – just the page would have sufficed – to save me having to Google her. I should imagine a number of younger readers may not realise she was a real-life film star and that she really did have a lady chaperone.

I like Moriarty's writing style and the book is plotted very nicely – my only small comment is that she flags up some social history, such as the Ku Klux Klan, as 'a bad thing '. Show us, by all means, but please avoid the temptation to hammer the point home with unnecessary excerpts of exposition from a later date. As another reviewer stated, we get it.

Hoont™ Electronic Dog Repellent and Trainer with LED Flashlight / Powerful Ultrasonic Dog Deterrent and Bark Stopper + Dog Trainer Device / Protect Yourself from Aggressive Dogs + Train Your Dog to Stop Barking and All Other Unwanted Behavior / Works for All Dogs

5.0 out of 5 stars Repel unwanted dog attention painlessly (for all involved!), 5 Nov 2014
Not everyone is a dog lover. Some people are a teeny bit scared of dogs when they bound towards them barking. I am one of those people. Don't get me wrong I do like dogs and would never wish any animal harm - it's just that I have been bitten three times in my life by dogs so I am always a little wary of them. The last time was about five years ago when the owner said "don't worry he's only being friendly" as the dog jumped up to my thigh. Then it sank its teeth into my leg and the owner said "Oh sorry - he's never done that before!" ...So, when I was offered this "Hoont - Dog Repeller and Trainer" to try out and review for free, I thought I would be a good candidate!

The repeller comes in a box a little bigger than a pack of playing cards and is slightly smaller than a compact camera in area though a little thicker. It is light grey plastic and very light in weight. It has an on/off button on the side but this just turns the torch on and off (handy if out walking in the dark - though note that the repeller does not work while the torch is on.) It then has two buttons on the front of the device - one "To Train" and one "To repell". The first, as the information leaflet says, is to "discourage bad behaviour; such as excessive barking , scratching or jumping on furniture and more". The Repeller button is literally to "Protect yourself from aggressive dogs".

So, I went for a walk in the woods to test out the repeller aspect of the machine. The first couple of dogs I met were just ambling along and did not appear to be too interested in the noise - so maybe they were too far away. The next one which was a red setter came bounding towards me from afar. I pressed the button and it came to a halt about 25 feet away. It didn't seem to want to come any nearer but looked at me quizically. I had the device in my pocket so it could not see where the noise was coming from (or the little light it displays when the buttons are pressed) but eventually it bounded away in the opposite direction. So, I am pretty impressed that this device does its job.

I will try it again on my future walks and update with any other information I glean from it but thumbs up so far!

IPOW Magic Morning Mug Coffee Tea Milk Hot Cold Heat Sensitive Colour Change Mug Cup,set of 2
Offered by soaiy

5.0 out of 5 stars What fun!!, 3 Nov 2014
Length:: 0:45 Mins

I received this item free of charge for review.

I love this! What fun! You pour boiling water into your mug and the sleeping face gradually transforms into a waking face! This will be great to take into work - a real talking point. The mug, as with lots of specialised and novelty mugs, cannot be put in a dishwasher since this damages the finish on the outside. We don't have a dishwasher at work, so no problems there. This really is a fun novelty and makes a great birthday or Christmas present. You get two mugs in the pack.

Ipow Full Protection [Removable and Stand View Feature] Apple Iphone 6 Wallet Folio Flip Protective Case Cover Skin Bumper Defender Cushion Sleeve with Credit Card Id Holders ,Slim, Only Perfect Fit for Iphone 6 4.7 Inch Screen, Ecological Friendly Leather, Black
Offered by soaiy

4.0 out of 5 stars 'Ecological friendly' leather, 3 Nov 2014
Disclaimer: This product was sent to me by the manufacturer, free of charge, for review.

This case is an interesting design. There is a plastic back which you fit to your iPhone 6G (I don't think this will fit anything else). The phone then magnetically clips to the back of the case quite firmly. It doesn't feel like it would slip out accidentally. You then shut the case and the case shuts with a magnetic closure. The case is designed to fold in the middle to provide a viewing stand. It's a clever design. There is a useful loophole in the top to hang your phone up. The loop hanger is included. The case is described in the header as 'ecological friendly' leather, I took this to mean leather-style PVC. This is a servicable phone case.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20