Profile for Uncle Barbar > Reviews

Content by Uncle Barbar
Top Reviewer Ranking: 86

Uncle Barbar (Essex, England)
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Ridgeway National Trail (Cicerone Guides) by Steve Davison ( 2013 ) Paperback
by Steve Davison

5.0 out of 5 stars Great trail - great guide!, 13 Dec 2014
The Ridgeway National trail is a beautifully scenic and historic trail from just outside Avebury in Wiltshire to Ivinghoe Beacon in Buckinghamshire. It passes some truly stunning scenery and some of our most interesting Ancient monuments. I've cycled many parts of the Ridgeway and walked the first few routes when visiting the Avebury area. The first 4 stages are probably my favourite 4 days walking/2 days cycling I've done ever (Barbery Castle & Liddington Iron Age hill fort, Wayland Smithy, Uffington White Horse are just 4 of my favourite things along the way). So, I jumped at the chance to review this book.

This volume is written with the walker in mind but can be just as useful to the cyclist or indeed horse rider as the trail is (as far as I know) all bridleway or by-way. One can just add 2-4 stages together (or the whole lot if you are an enthusiastic and energetic cyclist!) I like to stop at every opportunity to take in the sights and sites along the way as well as relax with a pie and a pint whenever the opportunity arises.

The guide introduction gives general information like plants and wildlife of the area, geology, when you should walk, planning your walk, getting to and from the Ridgeway, wettest day, food and drink along the way, by marking, access and rights of way, using this guide, maps, cycling and riding the Ridgeway, the Ridgeway online, the greater which way and the countryside code. Like all of the books in the Cicerone series it is clear and concise with clear directions, maps and details to help it get the most out of your trip(s).

This volume divides the Ridgeway National trail into 12 stages or days. Each route is between 5 1/2 and 10 3/4 miles per day with around 2 1/2 - 6 hours to finish. This book gives you pretty much all of the info you are going to need to travel along this excellent trial endeavour. The daily route guides are excellent - they give you the information of where to start and finish (OS grid ref), distance, difficulty of the route, time it will take, maps necessary, refreshments along the way and where to stay at the finish of each stage. There's then a little summary of the day's ride before getting down to more detail and what to see along the route, two (or more) OS maps of the route, along with this are colour pics of the areas you are walking or cycling through.

At the back is a route summary table along with an appendix on use of contact information like the nearest tourist information offices, walking holiday packages, public transport information, baggage transfer, local wildlife trusts, animal rescue, and/or facilities are near to the Ridgeway bike shops, pubs, cafes, accommodation, cash machines, post offices, buses and trains

This is an excellent and comprehensive guide to walking or cycling the Ridgeway National trial. I cannot recommend it highly enough!

The Ridgeway National Trail (Cicerone Guides)
The Ridgeway National Trail (Cicerone Guides)
by Steve Davison

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent and comprehensive guide, 13 Dec 2014

Guilty Gadgets - 10M Metre Male to Male RF TV Aerial Lead Cable Coaxial Extension Female Digital with Coupler
Offered by Guilty Gadgets

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent vfm and works a treat, 13 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Excellent value for money. I was in need of a decent quality long co-axial cable and it's nice to get one that has an adaptor to fulfill the usual connections (male & male or male & female ends).

At 10 metres long it is more than adequate a length my my needs and works perfectly on the set up in my bedroom. I didn't find any problem with reception even though mine has often been a little shaky in my room - I had no problems with this cable in place.

So all in all a hit for me! :0)

Lavolta Folding Laptop Table Desk Tray Stand with Mouse Board and Cooling Pad - 2x Cooler Fans - Aluminium Alloy - Adjustable-Angle Legs - Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Infinitely adjustable, 12 Dec 2014
This is such an improvement on the timber folding laptop stand I was using. It's made out of extremely lightweight aluminium. I had so much trouble with my other one, trying to get the two legs level.

There really is an almost infinite array of positions you can fold it into to get just the right one. Obviously, you need to ensure the position you choose is stable enough to support the weight of your laptop. There are no instructions but do be sure to have the button in the leg adjustment fully pressed in before you attempt to click the lake into another position. I should imagine it would be easy to snap it off if you didn't make sure of this. It comes with a removable table for a mouse but we never use these.

This is a really nicely designed, versatile table. Just in case you're wondering - the two black lugs supplied are designed to slide onto the lip of the rest to stop your laptop sliding off. It also has a couple of good powerful fans to help with cooling.

My wife was using a bulky mantis style laptop support that suspended the laptop in front of her on the sofa due to health constraints, but this is better. She can set it up over her lap. Clearance between the stannd legs is around 39cm. She doesn't get trapped under it. It's lightweight enough to whip up if the doorbell rings.

It's very adjustable and very lightweight and for these reasons, I'm giving it five stars.

Kenley Silicone Gel Cushion for Car Seat Office Chair - with Foam Side Pads
Kenley Silicone Gel Cushion for Car Seat Office Chair - with Foam Side Pads
Offered by Smart Parts UK, Digital Lifestyle Retailer

4.0 out of 5 stars If it's chilly on your nethers, reverse the cover and use upside down!, 12 Dec 2014
I've tried numerous chair cushions for desk and car and so far have been using memory foam. I was very interested to try this gel cushion.

After investigating the innards here are my findings: the bottom of the cushion is a 1 inch deep, polyurethane foam (according to label) base. On top is another layer of half inch foam with a fan-shaped insert cut out centrally. Glued into the insert is a plastic envelope of silicone liquidy gel. The envelope measures approximately 7 inches at the front of the cushion to around 13 or 14 inches at the back and it's about 6 inches long. The removable washable cover is plain on the back. The front has a kind of airtex area over the gel portion.

You sit on the gel pocket, surrounded by the foam to the sides. I do find the cushion lovely and comfortable because the gel doesn't compress. I suppose it's a tiny bit like sitting on a tiny waterbed. However, it is blooming freezing. After testing, I had to stand up just to warm up my nethers for fear they may drop off. Mind you, if you have any inflammation in that area, the cooling effect could be helpful.

If you find the gel pack too cold, take the cover off and put it back on the other way so the gel insert is on the bottom. You still get the cushioning effect but without the chill factor!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Lavolta Laptop Stand Cooling Pad for 13" 14" 15" 16" Notebooks - USB 2.0 Hub 2x ports - Adjustable Angle - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stand, 11 Dec 2014
Until recently, my ancient laptop was overheating and I was standing it on two rolls of Sellotape and a shoebox. This stand is great. You set it to the incline you require and then you slot two little plastic shoes into the base to stop the laptop from slipping off the end. It's a nice sturdy stand for its price point and it has the added advantage of an integrated fan, although the base of my lap top is nicely airated on the stand alone, without switching the fan on. The fan is a pretty good fan actually. It glows with a blue light so you can see that you have it working. (Don't forget to switch it on with the button at the top of the port.) One thing I will mention - the lead on the USB connector for the fan is on the right but is not long enough to plug into the spare left-hand USB port on my laptop. Also, I can't shut my laptop lid down easily when it sits on the stand because the foam on the little plastic shoes at the base, stop it meeting the caseing. These are not big issues, though. I'm really pleased with this practical stand.

The Blooding of Jack Absolute
The Blooding of Jack Absolute
by C.C. Humphreys

4.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute-ly rip-roaring adventure!, 11 Dec 2014
I really enjoyed this book - the first (chronologically though not written first) of the adventures of Jack Absolute - son of the (in)famous Jamie Absolute. It follows his life starting with his early time living with his hated uncle and cousin through his exploits living at school near his parents and into his time in the army in North America (at the siege of Quebec for instance) as well as his time living with natives and in the wilderness.

There were a couple of minor strange historical inaccuracies which I let pass (!) including one where Humphreys seemed to be saying that at one time there were 376 days in a calendar year (because of the loss of 11 days in 1754). Maybe he just didn't word it very well but if he did mean that, it was a silly error. We lost 11 days in that year just to enable Britain to adopt the Gregorian calendar (from the Julian) and get us in line with most of the rest of Europe.

Anyway... that aside... I really enjoyed the rip-roaring adventure of it all and already have the next volume loaded on my Kindle for the next adventure!

The Defence
The Defence
by Steve Cavanagh

5.0 out of 5 stars A rip roaring ride, 11 Dec 2014
This review is from: The Defence (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Meet Eddie Flynn -- "I... ran my fingers through my dirty blonde hair" with his tongue in cheek (I think) Chandler-esque metaphors -- "My chest began to tighten as my heart stepped on the gas. I'd been out of the game for too long." This novel has its feet firmly planted in genre fiction. It's a riproaring ride and very enjoyable for all that. Flynn is a likeable character. I don't think we're supposed to take the plot machinations too seriously, but it did keep me intrigued until the end. I'm sure we will be seeing a lot more of Eddie Flynn, and I look forward to Cavanagh's next offering.

China Dolls
China Dolls
by Lisa See

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great adventure, 10 Dec 2014
This review is from: China Dolls (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am a fan of Lisa See's works and she seems to be getting better and better. She has a great storytelling ability and everything reads so very authentically. This offering didn't disappoint. It quickly draws you into the story of Grace Lee and the two women she becomes friends with. Then comes the Second World War and the stakes become raised. I really enjoy See's plotting and characterisation, and I learn a bit of history I'm not familiar with, along the way. See is every bit as good as Amy Tan and Anchee Min.

Carte Noire No.10 Espresso Nespresso Compatible Coffee Capsules 53 g (Pack of 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of the compatibles, 10 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've tried most of the compatible coffee capsules and I would say these are the best ones. I can't really detect much difference in the flavour between these and the Nespresso ones. Number 10 is the strongest they do and it is quite an intense flavour with no bitter aftertaste. If you haven't Carte Noire, this is great quality coffee. They are individually wrapped. This means more packaging waste and you can't have them on display in a pod holder or have them recycled as you can with the nespresso collection service.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20