Profile for Books, Coffee & Anything Crafty > Reviews

Content by Books, Coffee ...

Books, Coffee & Anything Crafty "Emma" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
LG W1946S-BF.AEU LCD 19 inch Wide Monitor - Black
LG W1946S-BF.AEU LCD 19 inch Wide Monitor - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the right size, 9 Sept. 2011
This is being sold as 19" but it's not. It's 18.5". For the work that was being done we specifically needed 19" and if we'd known it was going to be half an inch smaller, we wouldn't have bothered. And yes, that half an inch makes the difference when dealing with images and graphics.

They should take down this item if they don't have it in stock, instead of just randomly sending out the smaller version.

Soul Beach
Soul Beach
by Kate Harrison

4.0 out of 5 stars Soul Beach, 9 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Soul Beach (Paperback)
This was a fantastic start to a trilogy. It really set up the story so that you know the characters, know the social network of Soul Beach and are ready for whatever the next books will bring. You meet Alice and her family on the day of Megan's funeral and you really get the feel for what the family has gone through since losing Megan.

I love the unique storyline of Megan being a reality singing show winner. I've always wondered what it would be like for the family of someone famous or on one of these reality shows. The way everything is portrayed is believable. I could really imagine the family life being this way.

Overall I think all the characters were fleshed out perfectly. These were characters you could imagine to be real people somewhere in reality. Everyone had their flaws, their own way of coping with Megan's death and their own way of interacting with people. The writing moved at a steady pace and kept me reading to find out more about how Soul Beach works and who the killer was (I have my thoughts on this and usually I'm not wrong).

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who loves a good ghost story. This definitely worked for me and I can't wait to read the next two books.

Here Lies Bridget
Here Lies Bridget
by Paige Harbison

4.0 out of 5 stars Here Lies Bridget..., 15 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Here Lies Bridget (Paperback)
I read this in one sitting. I hated Bridget so much, and I think that was the point, but there something addictive about this story that I had to keep going to see how it would play out. It was a bit like `car crash' TV, you can see what she's doing to her friends and herself, but you need to keep going to see how it'll play out.

As you're reading it, and hating Bridget more and more with each action of hers, you can see she doesn't fully understand why she's doing it, and there's a moment where you think she might just stop. She doesn't though. Her self-destruction goes one step further when new girl, Anna, shows up and starts taking over Bridget's popularity. The school's population likes her because she's nice to them, which is all a bit novel to Bridget. Mean is what makes her popular.

The first quarter to a third of this book is a bit slow but if you push past it you really get to grips with the story. Whilst I read it, I kept thinking of Mean Girls and A Christmas Carol, all rolled into one book. I highly recommend this to anyone who likes either of those and likes to see a mean girl get her comeuppance.

Populazzi
Populazzi
by Elise Allen

3.0 out of 5 stars Mean Girls was nothing..., 12 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Populazzi (Hardcover)
I've tried to write this review twice now and each time I go on a big rant about Cara's parents. It's hard not to because growing up I've been on the tail-end of some extreme reactions of my dad like Cara put up with from her stepdad. At first I sat there thinking, `who does that? Who behaves like that?' when I realised that some parents really are that controlling in real life. Not all of them support and forgive in the manner they should, and I really do applaud Elise Allen for writing that subplot into the book.

Anyway, I'll keep it short and sweet on this one, or I'll risk ranting again. The writing was excellent in this book. Sometimes over-described, but the heart of the matter was excellently laid out. My issue though was that Cara was a weak character for me, and that might just be the point. She allows everyone to tell her what she should and shouldn't be doing, without really thinking about it. Especially when it comes to her best friend's, Claudia, influence.

Nothing dragged in the story and everything moved at a good pace. I could picture everything happening in my head clearly, including seeing the outcome of some of Cara's actions before I read it. I didn't like anyone in the book except for Archer. I got him. The rest I just couldn't relate to, not even Cara and the relationship she has with her parents.

I would recommend this to anyone who loves Mean Girls and can keep reading even when they can see the car crash coming.

Vampire Academy (book 1)
Vampire Academy (book 1)
by Richelle Mead

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Start of a Series..., 7 Aug. 2011
I had never been interested in this series, but then the last book came out and people were going crazy for it. Apparently I was missing out by not reading these books. So I picked up the first book from the library and liked it enough that I now have the next two in my grubby hands from the library.

I loved Rose and Lissa's friendship. They balanced each other out perfectly in different ways and new when to help and when to stay away. I loved that Rose was feisty and took no nonsense. We need more strong characters like her in books. That wasn't to say that Lissa was weak, far from it, she was just feisty in her own way.

I found the mystery behind the storyline predictable and could see the ending coming a mile off, but it kept my interest enough to want to read the rest of this series so that I can find out what will happen. I also need to know what will happen with Rose and the chemistry she shares with a certain fellow Dhampir!

I recommend this book to anyone who loves vampires, a vicious school social ladder and some intense romance scenes.

Daewoo FRSU20ICW Side by Side Fridge Freezer
Daewoo FRSU20ICW Side by Side Fridge Freezer

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 7 Aug. 2011
For a while we had been blaming the supermarkets for our fruit and veg going soft or mouldy within a day or two of purchase because they can be cold then warm a couple of time before they reach you. Then recently we put a thermometer in our fridge and found it was constantly running at 10 degrees c. Never went below that.

So a new fridge was in the picture. We decided on this one because you get the size of an American style fridge without the price tag. (Stick with the white because you pay more for the black).

In the freezer compartment you get shelves on the door, a compartment at the bottom for cellophane/tin foil wrapped food, and a compartment above that for dried foods like anchovies. Then there are three tempered glass shelves with two that are movable to give you more room to pile things up. You also have two ice cube trays in there too, which I find is much better than an ice cube machine because they take up so much room in a freezer.

In the fridge at the bottom you have a fruit case and a veg case above that. These are doing an amazing job of keeping our fruit and veg fresh. Our strawberries have been there for 5 days now and are as fresh as the day we got them. There are interchangeable tempered glass shelves to give you as much room as you need. Shelves in the door for your drinks and condiments. A dairy pocket to keep anything opened fresher for longer (which does work). There's also an egg case which holds up to 24 eggs and is barely in the way on one of the shelves.

There's a chilled case for meats that you will cook soon. We've had steaks in there for 4 days looking as fresh as the day we got them. They would usually last no more than a day or two in our old fridge. If you're a wine drinker, there is a wine keeper shelf option too.

Overall, I highly recommend this fridge freezer to anyone who needs more room (and has the room for it) and isn't that bothered about having a water and ice dispenser (they take up a lot of room in the doors when you can just buy a Britta filter jug that takes up less room, and you have your two ice cube trays which is plenty of ice). It keeps everything fresher for longer and is a silent fridge freezer (which is a godsend as we have ours in the dining room). Well worth the money and can't believe we lived without a fridge freezer this size for so long.

The Lying Game: 1 (The Lying Games)
The Lying Game: 1 (The Lying Games)
by Sara Shepard

4.0 out of 5 stars A Game Gone Wrong..., 6 Aug. 2011
I'd only ever read half of the first book of Pretty Little Liars and for some reason I didn't continue. Chances are it was because the show had started it so I'd gotten used to the way the show was written. So when I saw The Lying Game I thought, great, fresh start of a new series AND I get to read it before the show starts on this one. I can honestly say this book did not disappoint.

It's full of mystery and intrigue all the way through. It keeps you turning the pages to find out a little bit more about Sutton and what would lead to her murder. Behind all the fancy things, nice home and popularity, there is an undercurrent of sinister lurking.

I like Emma and wished that she could have had the life Sutton had been having, but Sutton was definitely the more interesting character, jumping from nasty to nice in an instant, and never truly revealing what is going on with her. I did like the relationship Emma was building with Ethan and I can't wait to see where that goes.

Anyone who loves Pretty Little Liars, show or book, will definitely love this.

The Graveyard Book
The Graveyard Book
by Neil Gaiman

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, 5 Aug. 2011
This review is from: The Graveyard Book (Paperback)
This was my first ever Neil Gaiman book and I loved every page. It's made me want to devour every book he's ever written.

You meet Nobody `Bod' Owens when he's a baby and see how he comes to live in a graveyard with ghosts for family and friends. The story is told in a really interesting way with the chapters being more like short stories in different times of Bod's life growing up, rather than one continuous story. There is still a small continuous story hidden in these short stories, so you do get a complete story of Bod's life.

I loved the different characters of the ghosts, and the speech patterns from times gone by really worked with them. The way the story was told was just right. It reminded me of stories I'd read as a kid and I missed that style as an adult.

If you're a child, read this before you grow up. If you're an adult, read it anyway and remember your childhood and the books you used to read.

Angelfire
Angelfire
by Courtney Allison Moulton

4.0 out of 5 stars Addictive, fast-paced read, 3 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Angelfire (Hardcover)
This was one of the books that the minute I started it, I had to finish it. I raced through it in just over a day and can definitely say this is a real page-turner. The storyline got a little bit repetitive sometimes (Will constantly avoiding Ellie's questions) but that is what kept me reading. I need to know the answer to these questions.

Ellie is a great, feisty character, with just the right amount of storyline her adjusting to her true identity, before getting down to business. I loved Will. In fact someone mentioned this being a little bit like Buffy so I kept imaging David Boreanaz as Will.

I had a few niggles with the story, like Ellie being a little bit spoilt. No answers for Ellie's dad's behaviour. And Will keeping all these secrets. He should have told her something more than he was instead of getting it all at once right at the end.

Either way, loved this story and I'll definitely read the rest. I highly recommend this if you like anything angsty and paranormal.

2 MAN PERSON POP UP TENT WITH CARRY BAG
2 MAN PERSON POP UP TENT WITH CARRY BAG

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 1 Aug. 2011
The tent is easy to put up and down. Beware of the way you fold the material back in as you collapse it as the first time I took it down, it spread out and I couldn't wrap it tightly enough to put it back in the bag. Make sure you fold the material in on itself as you collapse the tent, then you can wrap the excess round the poles no problem to get it back in the bag. It's easy to carry and is light. I didn't have any rain, but the material will hold again light rain. Dampness will probably come through slightly on the heavy rain. This is a nice little tent for a weekend camping or for the kids in the back garden.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6