Profile for W. Downie > Reviews

Altura Progel Padded Cycling Bib Shorts
Altura Progel Padded Cycling Bib Shorts
Price: 34.99 - 44.99

5.0 out of 5 stars good shorts for the money, 7 Sep 2012
I've been wearing these all summer. Off the bike the bum pad is quite bulky but it comes into its own once you get going. I ride a minimalist saddle and tyres inflated to 100 psi and I find that the pad is easily comfortable for 2 to 3 hour rides without a break. I came off the bike on some loose gravel the other week and the shorts didn't shred even though I was moving a bit at the time. Although my hip was very badly bruised the shorts saved my skin from gravel rash: I couldn't believe that they'd held together when I (eventually) got up.

I'm looking for another pair now to alternate with my existing ones, and under my winter leggings.

Casio CDP-100 88 Note Digital Piano
Casio CDP-100 88 Note Digital Piano
Offered by ChaseDirect
Price: 279.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot on for quiet practice, 2 July 2011
Firstly, I ordered this item and a stand and despite specifying standard free delivery both items arrived by courier the following day. Well done, Amazon UK.

Being an aspiring grade 4 piano student, I wanted a full sized piano keyboard which could be taken in the car on long holidays to France and which I could set up in rented houses etc and to use for silent practice when the rest of the household are asleep (I am a very early riser). Visiting music shops, I had tried out some horribly expensive keyboards which had felt a bit like my 'normal' Kawai piano but definitely not the same, so I had concluded that whatever I bought was going to have a different feel to it. That doesn't matter much to me because I can exercise on the normal piano at home to develop my hand and finger muscles and I thought (correctly) that I could quickly adjust between playing each instrument. So having read the reviews on Amazon's website I decided to opt for the cheapest 88 note keyboard with good reviews. I wasn't expecting much...

The piano was very well packed and came with its mains adaptor, sustain pedal and instruction book. It all seems no heavier or bigger than it needs to be and it was very easy to set up. There are 5 sounds: 2 grand pianos, harpsichord, slow strings and electric piano (which sounds a bit strange to me). The grand piano sounds are fine through the built in loudspeakers and excellent through headphones. (I have always thought that the other sounds are a bit of a gimmick and I'm not really in a position to give a serious appraisal of them.) On full volume it doesn't play as loudly as my proper piano so I expect that anyone wanting to gig with it in a public venue or with other instruments would need to take along external speakers (there is no dedicated speaker jack socket but I suppose they could be connected via the headphones jack ot the MIDI out socket (?)- I'm out of my depth here). But the volume is perfectly adequate for playing in the house. The action of the keys is smooth and there is quite good finger resistance, though not as much as on a real grand piano. The touch sensitivity is smoothly graduated and works very well: the harder you press the keys the louder the notes are played.

I've had mine for just under a week and have played it every day without any reliability issue.

For the money, this is a fantastic instrument and I like it very much. How do they do it for the price?

The Beautiful Machine: A Life in Cycling, from Tour de France to Cinder  Hill
The Beautiful Machine: A Life in Cycling, from Tour de France to Cinder Hill
by Graeme Fife
Price: 8.96

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing biography, 18 Jan 2009
I suppose that to enjoy autobiographical writing it helps if you like the writer or have something in common with him or her. I think that the book has a fantastic title and on that basis I added it to my Christmas list. I expected to read about lots of inspirational cycling exploits which would make me want to get on my bike and go. But it just didn't do it for me. I found there was too much of the author's unhappy childhood and his disordered private life. I did learn that the big Alpine and Pyrennean climbs are very demanding and that about half way up you wonder if you can make it to the top. Also, later in the book, that the author is very fit by most people's standards and dislikes cycling with riders who slow him down. But these are hardly cycling gems and I didn't think they were worth wading through the rest of the book for. I was unable to find anything to like or admire about the author's personality and abandoned the book with about 40 pages to go: just couldn't be bothered any more. Only one star (for the title), I'm afraid.

Stardust [DVD] [2007]
Stardust [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Michelle Pfeiffer
Offered by streetsahead
Price: 2.74

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother!, 10 May 2008
This review is from: Stardust [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I can't think of anything about this film which would be likely to appeal to anyone over about 12 years of age. Some of the scenes are very scary for children under about 10 years old, so the potential audience for this film is restricted, to say the least. Very hammy acting, an unbelievable plot which doesn't really hang together, predictable ending which anyone can see coming for at least half an hour before the film (mercifully) ends. One star for the location scenery (Western Scotland plus a bit of Iceland) and the song at the end, which I hadn't heard before. But don't waste your time...
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 26, 2012 10:01 PM BST