Profile for Joolsdarlington > Reviews

Content by Joolsdarlington

Joolsdarlington

Outside Passage: A Memoir of an Alaskan Childhood (Independent Voices)
Outside Passage: A Memoir of an Alaskan Childhood (Independent Voices)
by Julia Scully

5.0 out of 5 stars Just read it!, 20 Sept. 2012
I bought this book in Alaska years ago and I've read it about five times since then. The language is so painfully simple and yet evocative. I don't want to give away any of this (true) story, but prepare to be shocked and moved and informed if you do read it.

Someone at a Distance (Persephone Classics)
Someone at a Distance (Persephone Classics)
by Nina Bawden

5.0 out of 5 stars Just brilliant!, 20 July 2012
I don't know how she does it! All of her books are so well written and yet so readable. Whenever I retell the story of any of her novels to anyone, they don't sound that gripping, but it is quite literally the way she tells them that makes them such page-turners!
She draws a vivid and convincing picture of her characters making them real from the first to the last page and beyond. I'm still cross with Avery to be honest. I don't think I can forgive him just yet.
A nice cup of tea, a slice of Victoria Sponge and a Whipple in hand - life doesn't get much better.

The Adventures of Sally (Everyman's Library P G WODEHOUSE)
The Adventures of Sally (Everyman's Library P G WODEHOUSE)
by P.G. Wodehouse

5.0 out of 5 stars In my Wodehouse Top 5, 17 May 2012
This book is definitely in my PG Wodehouse Top 5. As well as having a real rollercoaster of a plot, it also has some moments that make you gulp with emotion. I've never read anything as powerfully understated as Chapter 10 Part 3, when Ginger tells Sally that her fiancé is married to someone else. But - oops! - I've given it away! If you like PG Wodehouse even a little, you'll love this book.

Fossil Ladies Multi-Eye Analogue Stella Watch Es2860
Fossil Ladies Multi-Eye Analogue Stella Watch Es2860
Offered by Cores Opt

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty nice, 7 Dec. 2011
This looks very glitzy glam. It didn't arrive on the estimated date in spite of paying the premium postage though. The watch itself is lovely and makes quite a large statement.

My Favourite Ingredients
My Favourite Ingredients
by Skye Gyngell

5.0 out of 5 stars A real Gem of a Book, 30 May 2011
My mum surprised me with this book as an early Christmas present and enclosed an article about Skye inside the cover. Like the other reviewers, I have some cookbooks that I like but hardly ever use, however this book has become my top choice whenever anyone is coming to visit. I just love it. At first glance, some of the recipes don't look remarkable, but something about the sequencing or combination of ingredients or just plain genius make these recipes taste really special. So far I've made the asparagus, rice and pancetta soup, the roasted vegetable salad, grilled poussins with lemon, marjoram and yoghurt, the squash and tomato curry, the jerusalem artichoke with goat's cheese and the chicken with garlic and fennel and they have all been really, really good. That isn't a boast, it's just a wonderful book! The only recipe I haven't loved was the one for blood oranges and honey, but I think I'm just not a fruit-for-pudding sort of person. It's perfect if you're the sort of person who is getting bored of all of your usual favourite recipes.

edding 1200 Colourpen Extra Fine Bullet Tip Pack of 20 - Assorted
edding 1200 Colourpen Extra Fine Bullet Tip Pack of 20 - Assorted

5.0 out of 5 stars Last forever, 25 Nov. 2010
My brother got these as a Christmas present ca 1980. They still work after much use so I've bought some for my son hoping that they are still as good. They are a Christmas present, so will let you know...
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 14, 2012 10:13 PM BST