Profile for Mystery Buff > Reviews

Content by Mystery Buff

Mystery Buff "bookworm" (Cumbria England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Mirth, Murder & Mystery
Mirth, Murder & Mystery
Price: 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars This collection of books is fantastic. Every one is amusing, 21 July 2014
This collection of books is fantastic . Every one is amusing ,some more than others. I ended up buying follow on books. The Ex who would not die , and The Throwbacks were two I particularly enjoyed . At 0.77p this is a great bargain .Kept me happy for hours I will be keeping my eyes out for more of the same .

Between a Rock and a Mad Woman (Scotland Yard Exchange)
Between a Rock and a Mad Woman (Scotland Yard Exchange)
Price: 2.49

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 21 July 2014
Having read The Throwbacks I bought this book as it was said to be part of the Scotland Yard Exchange series. It was not .I would not have have purchased this book otherwise . After 50% of not allot happening it finally reved up . I loved the Throwbacks and this was not in the same class. It was fast paced towrds the end,and when the plot came together it was interesting . However if you want Scotland Yard this is not the book for you.

The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas [DVD]
The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas [DVD]
Dvd ~ Burt Reynolds
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it then love it now, 18 July 2014
First saw this movie whilst living in Texas . Loved it then love it now . Dolly Parton has the most wonderful singing voice and her version of" I will always love you " was in this movie . An unlikely tale of a whorehouse Madam( loosely based on a real life whorehouse )and her romance with the local sheriff.. Silly in the extreme but great great fu.

Wicked Wives
Wicked Wives
Price: 1.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Wicked, 13 July 2014
This review is from: Wicked Wives (Kindle Edition)
I purchased Wicked Wives because I had enjoyed Chelsea Wives so much . I was really disappointed. This book lacked the excitment the suspense and the overall zip of Chelsea Wives.I did not find any of the characters sympathetic. Tony after a few chapters was a bore, Ellie needed to get herself together and Tess was a really stupid girl I wanted the pace to speed up I wanted some suspense and got neither .I really got no pleasure from this story. But you can't please everyone i realise and having read the other reviews I would seem to be alone on this one .

Silence
Silence
Price: 0.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Too little too late, 8 July 2014
This review is from: Silence (Kindle Edition)
I assume that most readers had guessed that Oakley was the victim of sexual abuse in the first chapter. To wait until virtually the end to have these supicions confirmed was bad enough, but to have to read a badly written book was worse.The idea of a child being told to keep their mouth shut and for them to take it literally was excellent.It was such a shame that we had to plough through masses of angst to get to the root cause. I have to assume this book was intended for teenagers and had been made clear I would never have started it . I for one will not be following them to Australia.

Dipped
Dipped
Price: 0.77

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't know what to say!, 27 Jun 2014
This review is from: Dipped (Kindle Edition)
The idea of an artist murdering his victims and then submerging them in a vat of special varnish brings new meaning to "lifelike" .In fact it is a great idea upon which to base a story. However in my opinion that is where the word great ends. I dislike knowing "whodunnit" in the first few chapters and I found the somewhat flowery way in which our hero's love of his wife was described as being at odds with the plot .I found the characters poorly drawn thus making it hsrd to like them. If the author can come up with even more imaginative plots such as this and improve their writing style I would be happy to try reading them

The Quiet Game
The Quiet Game
Price: 3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 23 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Quiet Game (Kindle Edition)
I recently read the whole of Natchez Burning over a three day period and thought it was fantastic . Well so is this . .Even though the Penn Cage books can be read as stand alones they are a series and may benefit the reader by starting at the beginning. I could easily run out of superlatives whilst describing these books. Greg Iles is a brilliant writer, holding ones attention with every page. The plot is totally believable ,the characters sympathetic, the suspense is heart stopping . Natchez is a scary place and well worth a visit.

ASPHYXIA
ASPHYXIA
Price: 1.53

2.0 out of 5 stars Tripe not gore, 18 Jun 2014
This review is from: ASPHYXIA (Kindle Edition)
I read some of the reviews prior to reading this book and thought it might be interesting . Not so .In my opinion it is badly written and not in the least exciting . It was almost as though the author had seen an article on various fetishes and thought I'll write a book without really giving it much thought . Very disappointing indeed

Murder on G-Deck: death stalks the university
Murder on G-Deck: death stalks the university
Price: 1.23

4.0 out of 5 stars murder and mayhem, 14 Jun 2014
Can''t agree with the other reviewer. I thought it was very very funny. The end was however rather rushed andfelt as if the author had run out of ideas.

Natchez Burning
Natchez Burning
Price: 3.32

5.0 out of 5 stars A real rollercoaster, 14 Jun 2014
This review is from: Natchez Burning (Kindle Edition)
In the early 70's I worked in Texas and taken aback to see signs still remaining that stated white and blacks only on shop entrances, shop queues and eateries.I once boarded the downtown bus and sat at the rear only to have an old black lady tell me that I must sit at the front because the back was for blacks only. This amazing book brought back everything I had heard from the people I worked with about the misery of segregation and about how the colour of your skin determined whether or not you lived or died.
I read the whole series over a three day period ,sometimes putting it down because I couldn't bear to read what might come next.
It is the story of one mans unswervng love and belief in the honesty and integrity of his Dr father who is accused of murder and of one writers determiation to bring justice to those killed many years before.It is also the story of how easy it was to murder members of the black community and get away with it due to FBI incompetence and police corruption It is a very well written fast paced book with incredible twists and turns. The characters are well drawn and totally believable . The last few chapters are terrifying .
The only problem I have with the story are the loose ends .This of course may be because Greg Iles is going to continue the tale .
Read this book .It is one of the best I have read in a long time. It is more than worth the the money.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6