Profile for Amy > Reviews

Content by Amy

Amy (Home Counties, England)

Simon Schama: A History of Britain - The Complete BBC Series [DVD]
Simon Schama: A History of Britain - The Complete BBC Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Simon Schama

1.0 out of 5 stars Amazon should extend their current return policy., 30 Nov. 2012
Although I liked this subject very much - Simon Schama: A History of Britain I found that viewing it was unreliable as I experienced difficulties with each of the discs. Is that because of the technology I wonder as it clearly isn't a recent production by the BBC?

Because I am outside the return deadline set by Amazon I feel like chucking it away as it wouldn't be fair to offload it to a charity shop.

Amazon should have at least a 60 day period I think to allow customers sufficient time for viewing DVDs. If an organisation like Avon have a 90 day 'no quibble' return & refund policy - why doesn't Amazon? I can only give 1 star as this product was faulty due to inadequate checks by the sellers.

A Survey of London: Written in the Year 1598
A Survey of London: Written in the Year 1598
by John Stow

5.0 out of 5 stars Stow's Survey of London written in 1598, 13 May 2011
As I am collecting newly published maps of London when I came across this publication of John Stow - Survey of London 1598, newly printed & available through Amazon I was delighted to be able to order this famous work written in the last years of Elizabeth I.

The book is an easy read and brings a new knowledge of the streets within the City of London where years ago I had once worked. Now other people come too work & walk along streets full of historical association which are named in this book, whilst tourists choose to visit & admire, the few remaining buildings, streets and ally ways of that same Elizabethan England within the City of London. They would all value the history even more if they read this book with its details.

A good work, nicely presented and easily affordable which no doubt will be a first class reference work for many years. Unbeatable! I gladly gave it five stars.

Elizabeth I [DVD]
Elizabeth I [DVD]
Dvd ~ Helen Mirren

5.0 out of 5 stars Elizabeth I, 27 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Elizabeth I [DVD] (DVD)
After viewing many times the two DVDs about Elizabeth played by Cate Blanchet I wondered why I recollected another actress playing this part. So I checked online at Amazon and realised it was Helen Mirren and ordered this DVD from Amazon straight away. I was so delighted with viewing this DVD as it covered a period in the life of Elizabeth, in her later years leading up to her death, that was so in need of being shown on a DVD. I would really recommend this version to everyone interested in this subject as Helen Mirren gives a rare quality of drama in this story of an aging queen that is often ignored.