Profile for jwinnar1 > Reviews

Mindfulness: A practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world
Mindfulness: A practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world
by Prof Mark Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant idea, very useful book, 23 Nov 2013
It did take me a while to get round to using the book and CD but it is very much worth it. Fairly simple instructions and explanations- some of the benefits of this are hard to really show, you just have to keep doing the practice. It is about changing the way you think and behave gradually, so it does take persistence and patience, although if you're like me you may get quite a big improvement in stress and squirrel-brained-ness quite quickly. I hope that mindfulness practice will become embedded in daily practice for me once I've completed this; but what you put in in terms of time you more than get back, so would definitely recommend it.

Homescapes 200 Thread Count Oxford Pillowcase Red, 100% Egyptian Cotton Percale, Anti Dust mite
Offered by HOMESCAPES

5.0 out of 5 stars colourfast and hardy, 23 Nov 2013
Really does take a hot(ish) wash (50-60C) that pillowcases need, and keeps its colour, does not shrink very much even on the first wash. I do still keep it in the wash with other red things however! Nice quality, pretty smooth feel.

Maxsimafoto® - Lens cap with String 40.5mm for Nikon 1, J1, J2, J3, V1, 30-100mm, 10-30mm, 11-27.5mm, 18.5mm, 10mm Pancake Lens & others Snap on, Clip on, Front cap.
Offered by Cameramarket UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great replacement, 23 Nov 2013
Does the job plenty well enough, and has the advantage over my original cap that the cord keeps it attached to the camera- no more lost cap panics!

Crunchy Spirulina with Chilli 100g (Fair Trade & Non-Profit Social Project)
Crunchy Spirulina with Chilli 100g (Fair Trade & Non-Profit Social Project)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking crunch & taste, 23 Nov 2013
Great zingy chilli contrast to the mild spirulina flavour and nice texture to the flakes. Goes very well over freshly cooked rice or even better, salad. Also ethically sourced and I like very much that the company is a social enterprise too.

Spirulina Powder 100g (Fair Trade & Sun dried & Non-Profit Social Project)
Spirulina Powder 100g (Fair Trade & Sun dried & Non-Profit Social Project)

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality ethical stuff!, 23 Nov 2013
Nice quality spirulina powder that dissolves/hydrates well, mild flavour and ethically sourced by the company which is also a social enterprise; what's not to like? Came with a little leaflet with 2 recipe ideas and explaining the company's ethos, all very good.

Reversible Peasant Pirate / Medieval Bodice - Red - Black
Reversible Peasant Pirate / Medieval Bodice - Red - Black
Offered by Demotex

3.0 out of 5 stars red/black bodice- nice item, misleading location?, 13 Feb 2013
I ordered this- it came quickly, and was pretty good, much as described, fine for the purpose and price. However I ordered from this supplier not piratedressing as this one appears to be in Germany and piratedressing is in India, and I wanted it quickly; also because the item I really wanted from piratedressing wasn't described very precisely and the vendor did not reply to my enquiries about sizing. This vendor did reply to questions (after ordering) although in theory they're the same place. So I was a bit surprised to recieve my parcel from piratedressing in India! It seems their historical items may be made the same company, even if maybe one route is via another company.

The materials declared on the packaging are also not the same as those listed- whilst for me this doesn;t really matter, it may for some buyers. I don't know how dyefast it is yet, I shall find out by cautiously handwashing it after first use. However that can be an issue with many textiles so does notreflect in this review.

So, item design and function 4.5 stars, shipping speed 4 stars, customer service (if they are all the same) 2.5 stars but misleading supply chain/branding 2 stars. I make that a 3 star average.

Herd: How to Change Mass Behaviour by Harnessing Our True Nature
Herd: How to Change Mass Behaviour by Harnessing Our True Nature
by Mark Earls

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good!, 18 Dec 2010
This is an intersesting book on herd mentality and how to influence people or sell them something or an idea. It wasn't quite as scientific as I was hoping- more a marketing/management slant due to the author- but there are some references in it so you can follow up the background stuff if you want. His writing style is a nice and easy to read and his humour is great; and there are lots of interesting asides from the examples, for example discussing the Join-Me movement who enact Random Acts of Kindness to strangers. Although you might expect a book about influencing the masses to be a bit of a downer, in fact one of the things that comes out is that we are a super-social species and work best in our herds- or troupes I guess as we are apes- and some positive thoughts about society and the future. A good and thought-provoking read.