Profile for Eric Baker > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
How to Babysit a Grandad
How to Babysit a Grandad
by Jean Reagan

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely take on looking after the grandchildren/grandad, 2 Jan 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
At first the Grandad in this household thought the book might be rather patronising - but not at all! It is beautifully illustrated and the humourous take on babysitting role reversal would work equally well for a Grandma. Our grandson at two and a half enjoyed the book especially "tidy up time", and the 4 year old grand daughter appreciated all the jokes and wanted to act it out with Grandad. Some Americanisms such cookies to eat, but overall a lovely story with some handy hints for all generations.

Samsung 32GB Class 6 24MB/s Micro SDHC Standard Memory Card without Adapter
Samsung 32GB Class 6 24MB/s Micro SDHC Standard Memory Card without Adapter
Offered by SAI Sales

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable and fast, 7 Dec 2013
I got this for my wife's new Android tablet (Hudl) and soon had a range of music, photos and videos on it. Then on safari in Kenya I used it with an OTG cable to store backups of all our photos as we travelled around. The transfers seemed very quick, eg around 5 minutes to copy 570 large image files.

Genuine Integral Card Reader SDHC SDXC
Genuine Integral Card Reader SDHC SDXC
Offered by iCUBE UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, 7 Dec 2013
I used this on a Kenya safari, to connect to an Android tablet (Hudl) with a cheap OTG cable. It worked perfectly and is fast to connect to tablet or computer. On a Windows 7 PC it is recognised and ready to go much faster than a couple of older multi format card readers I have.

BRAND NEW USB A 2.0 female to Micro USB B male Adapter Cable WITH OTG FUNCTION
BRAND NEW USB A 2.0 female to Micro USB B male Adapter Cable WITH OTG FUNCTION
Offered by ForPower(aLLreli TM)

5.0 out of 5 stars Works very well on OTG compatible devices, 7 Dec 2013
I think this was billed as doing OTG for an Asus MemoPad HD 7 but I couldn't make it work and when I checked with Asus support they said that model doesn't do OTG so it was never going to work. It didn't work with my Huawei G300 phone either. Our Kenya safari was approaching and I didn't want to have to take a laptop to back up photos. So I tried it on my wife's Samsung Galaxy SII phone and it works perfectly. Then on her Tesco Hudl tablet - that also works beautifully. So on safari I would, at least once a day, attach a card reader to the Hudl via the OTG cable and review our photos on its lovely 7" screen, deleting the less good ones (directly on the camera's SDHC card). Then I'd copy the remaining ones to the Hudl's microSD card, using the free ES File Explorer app. Then every couple of days I'd back everything up onto a memory pen, so we had 3 copies of all our photos. Just after getting back from the safari one of our two new Sandisk SDHC cards failed, losing most of the images on it - shows how important backups are.

12 Pairs Mens Thermal Socks / Size 6 - 11
12 Pairs Mens Thermal Socks / Size 6 - 11
Offered by ZONNIX UK LTD

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, quite warm, shapeless, 7 Dec 2013
I do use these but they are shapeless, lacking a well defined heel so they tend to slide down even on my size 10 feet. My wife complains that they leave bits on other items in the washing machine and one of them had a hole after 2 or 3 wears. But they are quite comfortable and fairly warm and they were very cheap.

Fast Cooking: Really Exciting Recipes in 20 Minutes
Fast Cooking: Really Exciting Recipes in 20 Minutes
by James Martin

4.0 out of 5 stars Good looking dishes, 2 Dec 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very attractively produced book at a good price with 20 minute dishes divided into starters, mains and desserts. The photos show how to present these quick meals in an attractive "restaurant" plated style which I have found very useful. My food usually tastes good but I don't always get top marks for the presentation! There are a few unusual ingredients but a lot of the recipes can be sourced from a well stocked cupboard and freezer. Nothing totally "new" and probably not a family meals cookbook, but a very good source to help out with "what shall we eat tonight?" or friends dropping in.

Parker IM Premium Ball Pen with Gift Box - Blue/Black
Parker IM Premium Ball Pen with Gift Box - Blue/Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Sleek, 25 Nov 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a sleek and classy looking pen in an understated sort of way. Nicely balanced, writes well and sort of makes you feel responsible, perhaps even in charge. It's not flashy but has a sort of air of authority about it. The ink's a dark blue, medium to narrow ballpoint. Easy to retract the ballpoint and the pen is not too heavy for a shirt pocket.

Parker Urban Premium Ball Pen with Gift Box - Mandarin Yellow
Parker Urban Premium Ball Pen with Gift Box - Mandarin Yellow

5.0 out of 5 stars Bold, bright and bling, 25 Nov 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's only a ballpoint pen and writes well. Chunky, looks like an exercise in aerodynamics. All yellow and golden it brings a smile to my face as I use it and somehow seems to add significance to what it writes. Classy. It's quite heavy in the section near the ballpoint which gives it a nice balance.

DSTE Full Coded 7.4V 1400mAh D-Li109 Li109 Li-ion Battery for Pentax K-R KR K2 K-2 K-30 K30
Offered by DSTE

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked for me, 23 Nov 2013
I've always found that my Pentax k-r DSLR lasts very well on its battery. But going on safari for the first time was something different and I'm so glad I bought this battery as a spare. I think using a long zoom (105-450mm equiv.) and re-focussing lots took a lot out of the batteries. Rather than having to charge up my one battery every night I just waited for my current battery to go low then swapped in the other. On a couple of days I went through more than one full battery's worth of shooting so it worked well. This battery is rated as having more capacity than the original Pentax one and I thought they seemed very similar in how long they lasted. Both batteries seemed to last very well but when they went off full charge they lost capacity quite quickly. That's probably more to do with the k-r than the batteries. Anyway, I never missed a shot, even when tracking birds in flight or a lion loping by within 2 metres.

Philips DVT1700 Digital Voice Recorder with DNS Speech to Text Software
Philips DVT1700 Digital Voice Recorder with DNS Speech to Text Software
Offered by DB Technology srl

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice little recorder, not so sure about the Dragon, 23 Nov 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These days your smartphone and tablet will record your voice so why get a specialist recorder? This Philips one is neat and very easy to use. I guess it's perfect for anyone who needs to make plenty of audio notes to sort out later. I really liked the way you can just long press the record button, start speaking into it then press stop and slide down the on/off control and that's a new note done. I also found it easy to review and delete audio notes - no need to read the manual. Connecting to a Win 7 PC was very easy - drivers installed automatically and up it came as PHILIPS (G:). There's a user manual on it and 4Gb of free memory. I found that recordings only take around 45Mb per hour so there's no need to think of populating the microSD slot, especially if you move recordings off it as you go. One good touch is that the voice recordings are given names such as 2013.11.22_20.43_01.MP3 so they naturally sort by date and time - very important if you're generating scores of voice memos. I found the quality pretty good, eg it picked up my voice well with music playing in the background - the music was barely audible in the recorded file. I loaded one of its recordings into Audacity and there was a very clean wave form with just one brief eruption of extraneous noise - pretty good with music playing and me talking.

So far so good. But I was much less impressed by the Dragon speech to text software. When it talked about disabling security software I backed off, checked some reviews online and found it's capabilities described as poor by several reviewers. So I didn't bother with it. I'm much more after audio notes I can listen to to help make much more condensed notes - I don't need a full transcript and I delete the audio notes once reviewed. So I'm happy to use the device as an easy way of recording voice memos and will leave it to people with different needs to go through what sounds like an arduous training course, getting voice to text working well. I'm sure I could but I don't need it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20