Profile for Eric Baker > Reviews

Content by Eric Baker

Eric Baker (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
IVSO® Slim-Book PU Leather Stand Cover Case for ASUS MeMO Pad HD 7 7-Inch Tablet with Card Holder and Hand Strap (Black)
Offered by Gambolex

3.0 out of 5 stars Fits OK but I don't use it, 27 Mar 2014
It fits the tablet, but it adds a fair bit of bulk and the stand function doesn't work very well. It only works in landscape mode and only feels secure in one position - not much up from flat on a surface. So now I only use it when our grandchildren are going to be using the tablet (in case they drop it). I much prefer using the tablet with no case, both around the house and when travelling. But I do use the slim pen that came with it.

43" (110cm) Collapsible / Portable Photographic Lighting Disc Reflector for Studio or On-Site Use - Translucent, Gold, Silver, White & Black w/ BAG!
Offered by Happy Sales UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Really big, 27 Mar 2014
This was bigger than I'd expected. It's really useful having all the options, gold or silver reflector, semi opaque diffuser etc. Once I'd checked how to fold it (Youtube video) I find putting it away pretty easy. You just hold it at opposite sides, twist your wrists opposite ways then a little push completes the action. So, an excellent product for such a low price.

Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 (PC/Mac)
Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 (PC/Mac)
Offered by Catch-up

4.0 out of 5 stars Good selections, easy to use, 27 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been an Elements fan since version 3. V4 was pretty good. V7 and 8 were a bit grey but pretty capable. So I welcomed the chance to remove v7 from my PC (with two large monitors) and install v12. You have to ensure you don’t install the Premiere Elements trial from the CD and it’s the longest install I’ve seen. I soon had it linked from Faststone Viewer and had an icon to load the PE editor (not the editor/organizer choice panel). I avoid the organizer like I avoid Picasa and Lightroom – I don’t like any software that hides stuff in its own database and tries to be the only way for you to view your photos. Visually PE12 is quite nice, especially the controls down the bottom to optionally show loaded images, tool parameters, layers etc. Also the control over what displays to the right, including a nice new navigator window for when you're zoomed way in. Selections are quite a bit better than earlier versions, which will be a great help over time. In particular it makes it easier to adjust your selection with plus and minus tools. Using the quick select tool I managed to make quite an accurate selection of a cement mixer – a very complex shape. In the past I always zoomed right in and used the polygonal lasso tool, with thousands of clicks, especially on curves. There are also some interesting new tools I’ve only played with so far, the smart brush and content aware move tool. And I tried the redeye tool and it works a lot better than in earlier versions. Maybe I can stop manually airbrushing redeye away.

There are a few niggles which cut it down a star. When scanning it only offers the much inferior WIA option. The Adobe support page says that if you want to use the far better TWAIN interface (that has so many more control options with my Epson Perfection Photo scanner and Win 7) you should grab some plugin files from a previous version – but I’d just uninstalled that! Printing is also not as good. It’s been dumbed down a bit and does not give as much fine control over the size and position of the image on the printed page. That may make printing cards more difficult. Other niggles are that I can’t find the RGB colour adjustment tool off the Enhance menu (the one where you can reduce red, increase blueness etc) and twice when cropping images for printing it lost the dpi setting I'd chosen. So I’m sure I’ll appreciate the better selection facilities but I will miss having really fine control over printing and scanning. PE12 is definitely an improvement on PE7 overall but in some areas it’s been dumbed down too much.

Proxima Direct® 3 Port HDMI Switcher 3x1 Auto Switch 3-In 1-Out With 28AWG HDMI Cable (Pigtail Part)
Offered by Proxima Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Auto switching works fine, 23 Mar 2014
Our new LG TV only has one HDMI port and I really need 3 - for the Humax HD PVR, a Blu-ray player and a laptop we sometimes plug in. The switch works flawlessly, eg if you're watching TV from the PVR and turn that to standby and put a disc in the player it switches at once. A good solution.

Cheetah Mounts ALAMLB Articulating Arm (20" Extension) TV Wall Mount Bracket for 23-49" (60-124 cm) LCD, LED and Plasma Flat Screen TVs up to VESA 400x400 and 66 lbs (29.9 kg), with Full Ballhead Tilt, Swivel, and Rotation Motion, Including a Twisted Veins 10' (3 m) Braided High Speed with Ethernet HDMI Cable and a 6" 3-Axis Magnetic Bubble Level
Offered by SPN Imports and Services LLC

5.0 out of 5 stars Very adjustable, 23 Mar 2014
I got this mount for our new LG 42" LED TV. It's pretty heavy and solid. Fitting the base plate to the wall was easy once I did some careful measuring and found a large (10mm) masonry drill. I didn't need the extension arms - our VESA screw holes are 200mm apart and use the outermost holes on the fixing plate - easy enough to attach the 10kg TV with two people and there were plenty of screws with the mount. In use extending it away from the wall is easy, no sag, and what I really like is the ball joint which allows you to rotate the TV to get it straight or tilt it. You do have to find your own allen keys to tighten or loosen the joints. I hooked the free HDMI cable to our HD PVR and the HD pictures are beautifully sharp. There's quite a nice little spirit level too.

Zalman ZM-M100 Optical Mouse
Zalman ZM-M100 Optical Mouse

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing value, 23 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The picture didn't make it obvious but this is a standard wired USB mouse. It's very light and a little on the small size for my large hands but works fine. The buttons click audibly (useful feedback) and there's just the right amount of resistance on the scroll wheel. It's pointer speed was a bit fast for me out of the box but it was easy to change via Control Panel. So nothing special about the mouse itself but it comes with a pretty special low price tag.

Meg and Mog: Meg, Mog and Owl [DVD]
Meg and Mog: Meg, Mog and Owl [DVD]
Dvd ~ Fay Ripley

5.0 out of 5 stars Our grandchildren love it, 8 Mar 2014
We love these 13 five minute stories too. We've found that they cover roughly the two to five year age groups and our grandchildren keep coming back to these (and Peppa Pig) mostly on our tablets. Favourite stories include the circus and fog (yeti) ones.

Casio MX8 Desk Top Calculator
Casio MX8 Desk Top Calculator

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect size, 8 Mar 2014
I had a little Sharp calculator that lasted 30 years and I clung to it because most modern calculators do not let you add a column of figures by entering one figure, tapping plus then entering the next. Most make you tap the equals key too after each calculation. This Casio does the quick adding trick and is also nice and big - I never lose it beneath clutter on my desk.

Gillette Fusion Manual Razor and Blades Pack of 11
Gillette Fusion Manual Razor and Blades Pack of 11

4.0 out of 5 stars Mine last a month, 8 Mar 2014
I've had one last only a couple of weeks and another six weeks but I average a month each with these. Crucial, I believe, is that after use I thoroughly dry the blades by whooshing them through the air then applying a brief blast from a hairdryer. Changing them only once a month makes them seem quite reasonably priced. I used much cheaper Tesco triple blades for years. They lasted 2 weeks but were very cheap. Then they went cheap and nasty - the quality dropped alarmingly, so I won't be going back to them. With the Fusions I have one handle with the vibration function and I prefer using that even on the ordinary blades.

Probate: The guide to obtaining grant of probate and administering an estate
Probate: The guide to obtaining grant of probate and administering an estate
by Gordon Bowley

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written, 8 Mar 2014
I did the probate work for my father in law's estate. It was relatively simple, with no arguments from any beneficiaries, but there were big gaps in the paper records and this book gave me the confidence to plough on with no paid advice. It does cover more complicated and adversarial situations but I found it easy to skim past the chunks I didn't need.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20