Profile for Eric Baker > Reviews

Elmer's 231 8 fl oz/ 236 ml No Wrinkle Rubber Cement, Transparent
Elmer's 231 8 fl oz/ 236 ml No Wrinkle Rubber Cement, Transparent
Offered by LPC Stationers

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, cheap substitute for table tennis glue, 24 Mar. 2015
Much cheaper than specialised table tennis glue but does the job. I did find I needed to clamp the rubber I was gluing for a while. The bats I glued survived a vigorous hour of table tennis without coming loose again.

Airmax Anti Snoring Nasal Dilator
Airmax Anti Snoring Nasal Dilator

4.0 out of 5 stars Mildly uncomfortable but it seems to work, 24 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've got a big head, big nose, yet I've always been prone to nasal congestion, sinus problems and (according to my wife) snoring, particularly if I had that extra glass of wine. So I was keen to try this apparently simple solution. So far I've tried it three times. In each case it dilates the lower nasal passages and does increase air flow. I've fallen asleep fine with it in place and my wife has appreciated a reduced volume from snoring. Later in the night, if I wake to go to the loo, it starts to feel a little uncomfortable. Once I stopped using it then and the other two times I pulled it out and discarded it in my sleep. Maybe I'll get more used to it with practice, as my wife has with a gum/tooth overlay to stop gaps developing. But I'm reasonably happy so far and for now will use it as a way of keeping the missus happier than she might have been on occasions when I've had that one extra glass.

Oral-B Vitality Plus FlossAction Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush
Oral-B Vitality Plus FlossAction Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tooth cleaning, 14 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an excellent replacement for my old electric toothbrush (not an Oral B) which ran out of juice very quickly. The Oral B's power lasts a good 5 days with 2x a day use, full recharge takes 16 hours. The manufacturers state you can leave the brush on permanent charge during daily use if you have a convenient point in your bathroom, you cannot overcharge, but do a complete discharge every 6 months to prolong battery life. Two minor points: there is no light on the brush to show that it is on charge/flashing to show it has finished, and the cord is a bit on the short side.The brush head is easy to take on and off, and I have also purchased the Whitening style heads to supplement the Floss Action ones that came with my set. The brush has just one speed which is fine, and a very effective rotating action that feels like it is really getting the job done.

But my very favourite thing about this model is the timing device - after brushing for 2 minutes the motor begins to stutter to let you know you have been brushing for the length of time recommended by dentists. It made me realise that I had been rushing through my teeth cleaning regime: at first 2 minutes seemed like a long time. But now I have slowed down the brushing to do each tooth carefully and I am sure my dental hygienist will be pleased when next I visit! Everyone can surely find 4 minutes a day to brush properly, and this gadget helps you stick to the plan.

AmiGami Unicorn and Crimper Set
AmiGami Unicorn and Crimper Set
Offered by Lackenstrand Toys

5.0 out of 5 stars Clean and crafty fun, 12 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Even better than the smaller Giraffe set that I have already reviewed -this Unicorn comes with a crimper which is very satisfying to use. Make sure you have a box in which to store all the bits and bobs once the pack is opened. It is likely that children will make their model.......then come back in future days to remodel and improve it, thus making it a worthwhile craft kit to keep and re-use. I agree with other reviewers that the skills required need quite good dexterity - probably not suited to most under 5s , most likely girls I'm afraid.How about some monsters too?

Karrimor Bodmin IV Weathertite, Men's Low Rise Hiking Shoes, Brown (Dark Brown), 10 UK (44 EU)

4.0 out of 5 stars Do the job, 12 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I only had some very lightweight trainers for rough walking so I was glad to try out these all weather walking ones. They fit my fairly wide feet well and the cushioning round the ankle is good. My feet don't move around in the shoes as I walk. It can be a bit of a struggle tightening the lower laces but I always get them right soon enough. I've used these on pavements, across grass and on a muddy tow-path and they grip well and have kept my feet dry in all conditions. The only negative is that I have a Morton's neuroma (inflamed nerve) in one foot and prefer fairly cushioned front soles. These are on the hard side for me but there is room to fit some insoles.

Philips GC2040/20 Easy Speed Steam Iron, 270 ml, 2100 Watt - Blue
Philips GC2040/20 Easy Speed Steam Iron, 270 ml, 2100 Watt - Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars A great lightweight iron, 9 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great lightweight iron at a reasonable price. Stylish looking, very smart in blue and white.The cord is long, the steam and heat instructions are easy to follow and cover all the possibilities you might need. The water level is very visible and so far, no drips! The end of the iron is nice and pointed for getting into tight corners of clothing. It is light in weight so may be not the best for heavy duty ironing where you might want more heft and a bigger soleplate. But for everyday use - excellent .

Igenix IG8750 Mini Food Chopper 200 W - White
Igenix IG8750 Mini Food Chopper 200 W - White

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing to use, 6 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was delighted to try out this new mini food chopper as the lid of my Kenwood mini processor broke recently. I find a mini processor one of the most useful gadgets in my kitchen, but sadly the Igenix one does not pass the test. First, the good points: the cord is long enough, the bowl reasonably capacious, the styling is clean and it does not take up much counter space. BUT the design is top heavy and unbalanced with the motor located in the lid; the chopping blade is too small resulting in lumps left unchopped so you have to move the food around with a spatula and try again. Once you have finished chopping or pureeing, it is hard to grip the stem holding the blade to remove it before , scraping out the food. Then when you come to clean up the bowl and blade are dishwasher safe, but the motorised top is spattered with food - you can wipe this off with a damp cloth but bits get stuck in the drive hole and I had to resort to a cotton bud to remove them. So I will go back to my old model and buy a new lid - this one is not fit for purpose.

Igenix IG3020 4 Slice Toaster 1,300 W - White
Igenix IG3020 4 Slice Toaster 1,300 W - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Toaster, 27 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an excellent toaster which provides great value for money. It takes 4 slices happily, and copes with thick items such as muffins. The browning is even and there are good variable control levels. I think the toaster is stylish looking - uncluttered clean lines. A very good buy if you like the white look and the long slim line on your counter top.

Igenix IG7004 Cordless Jug Kettle 2,200 W - 1.7 L, Brushed Stainless Steel
Igenix IG7004 Cordless Jug Kettle 2,200 W - 1.7 L, Brushed Stainless Steel

2.0 out of 5 stars This is a very basic kettle - it looks fine but in practice it is difficult to fill through ..., 27 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very basic kettle - it looks fine but in practice it is difficult to fill through the spout or lid; there is no external water indicator; the filter is hard to remove for cleaning; and worst of all it takes much longer than my old kettle to come to the boil. For reasons of economy I like to be able to put just enough water in for a couple of cups of tea rather than overfill the kettle - impossible to do with this model. So this is not for me.

Canon PowerShot SX510 HS Camera - Black (12.1MP, 30x Zoom) 3 inch LCD - (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by Picsio

4.0 out of 5 stars Great zoom range, smaller than it looks, 23 Feb. 2015
This little superzoom/bridge camera was nearly 300 pounds on launch and I got a terrific bargain at 120 near the end of its life. It's only got a small sensor but it is the newer CMOS type and it's not as bad as I expected in low light, especially with videos. It's not going to replace any of my other 3 cameras (Pentax kr SLR, Nikon J2 and Fuji F660) but it does give me something new - a brilliant zoom range of 24-720mm in a fairly small package. The swan photo was taken in evening light at 620mm. It will fit into a coat pocket easily enough and is much smaller than it looks from the pictures. It didn't come with a wrist strap so I bought one (the neck strap is too much for such a little and light camera). It also came with incomprehensible wifi instructions and no PC cable but it connects fine through any micro USB cable, eg the one for my Q2 internet radio. So I'll choose any of my other cameras over this one for low light stills but the Canon makes a good video camera and is superb at capturing distant subjects. There's even a button to help locating far off subjects which really works.
Comment Comment | Permalink