Profile for M. G. Raines > Reviews

Content by M. G. Raines

M. G. Raines (Reading England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Sony Xperia Z1 Compact Sim Free Android Smartphone - Black
Sony Xperia Z1 Compact Sim Free Android Smartphone - Black
Offered by Shelfone™

4.0 out of 5 stars Great performance and lovely screen but could be better with suspect build quality around the magnetic charging connector, 13 Aug 2014
I have had two Xperias now (Ray and a P) and I really needed to move onto a more powerful Android phone but not a huge 5"+ slab one. So this fitted the bill. It arrived promptly and it went through two upgrades to get itself from Jelly Bean to Kitkat successfully. I set up all my accounts and apps with no problems and the performance is really very good. The camera has been used a lot on trips and it too has performed well. I do think that the shutter button needs a little too much pressure to make it work though.
I feel the battery life is a big improvement over my Xperia P too. I would question why Sony don't include a magnetic charging cable or adapter though so you can use the magnetic charge connector.
Overall I am really pleased with the phone and the way it performs and goes about doing what you need it to do.
However, areas of improvement for me would be:
1. the on/off standby button is quite small and I would like a bigger one
2. the volume up/down buttons are again quite small and I would like bigger ones
3. as mentioned the camera shutter button needs some pressure to work
4. provide a magnetic charging cable or adaptor
5. magnetic charging may be fine but my connector started to fail to charge after 2 weeks usage and then the whole connector came away from the phone attached magnetically to the cable connector! The phone will now be returned but I love using it so I will just get a replacement.
Overall the pluses overcome the areas of improvement and I could do with out the hassle of doing a return.

Update August 27th 2014
The replacement Xperia Z1 Compact has had a tough week away in the French Alps and has performed well with no problems despite being used and carried in some extreme situations like mountain biking in Val d'Isere. Some of the time burst photos have been really good.

Miike Snow
Miike Snow
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent uplifting music, 13 Aug 2014
This review is from: Miike Snow (Audio CD)
Excellent album and with some great up beat tracks. I really enjoy listening to this.

AmazonBasics USB 2.0 A-Male to Mini-B Cable 6 Feet / 1.8 m
AmazonBasics USB 2.0 A-Male to Mini-B Cable 6 Feet / 1.8 m

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cable, 13 Aug 2014
A quality cable that does the job

Terrapin - Sony Xperia Z1 Compact Hybrid Rubberised Back Cover Armour Case - Solid Black
Offered by ClickJunkie

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but could be better if not so smooth to the touch, 13 Aug 2014
It fits the Xperia Z1 Compact snugly but it feels very smooth and slippy in the hand. I was hoping it would be softer in feel with better grip. I think it looks the part though and the Xperia Z1 Compact looks good with it fitted.

[ Magnector X ] High Performance Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 Charging Cable - Enhanced Magnetic Connection and Charging Speed

4.0 out of 5 stars Despite being sent just the connector adaptor first time around ..., 13 Aug 2014
Despite being sent just the connector adaptor first time around the seller quickly rectified this and sent the cable next day.
The charging cable itself works but is prone to being knocked off and is not as secure as using a mini-USB cable to the connector under the Xperia Z1 Compact cover.
I have now found that the charging of the Xperia Z1 Compact was not working and then discovered that the reason was the phone connector was loose and finally it came away from the phone when I pulled of the magnetic connector. This is obviously a phone issue though.

Krups Nespresso XN250140 U Coffee Machine - Pure Cream
Krups Nespresso XN250140 U Coffee Machine - Pure Cream

5.0 out of 5 stars Krups Nespresso XN250140 U Coffee Machine - Pure Cream, 23 Jun 2014
Brought as present and used daily. They are very happy with it and are now converts to the Nespresso system.

Cop Killer (The Martin Beck series, Book 9)
Cop Killer (The Martin Beck series, Book 9)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cop Killer (The Martin Beck series, Book 9), 23 Jun 2014
Another great read and this one seemed to have a lot less of Martin Beck in it. Well worth a read and onto the last one now of the 10 book series.

Gossamer
Gossamer

5.0 out of 5 stars Passion Pit - Gossamer, 23 Jun 2014
This review is from: Gossamer (Audio CD)
I listened to this quite a bit on Spotify and then decided to buy it. There are some wonderful uplifting tracks and makes me feel good.

Microsoft LifeChat LX - 6000  (Brown Box)
Microsoft LifeChat LX - 6000 (Brown Box)

5.0 out of 5 stars Microsoft LifeChat LX - 6000, 23 Jun 2014
Brought as a present and no complaints so far so I hope they will be OK. They seemd to be the best value for money and best product from the reviews.

SanDisk SDSDQX-064G-U46A Extreme Plus 64 GB 80 MB/s MicroSDHC Card Class 10 UHS-I with SD Adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars SanDisk Extreme Plus microSDHC Card Class 10 UHS-I 80MB/S 64GB, 4 April 2014
Does what is says on the tin and I use this in my Garmin VIRB Elite head cam. No problems and it gets used daily.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4