Profile for Dale > Reviews

Content by Dale

Dale

The Bones Beneath (Tom Thorne Novels Book 12)
The Bones Beneath (Tom Thorne Novels Book 12)

5.0 out of 5 stars great as usual, 8 Jun 2014
the tom thorne books never fail to please. Keep them coming and I'll keep buying. Mark Billingham is really good.

American Notes for General Circulation
American Notes for General Circulation

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for Me, 26 Nov 2013
I had been aware of Dickens' American Notes for quite some time and finally got round to reading them - or at least attempting to read them.

I was drawn to the book by my curiosity of Americans of that era. I was quite disappointed. There are passages where I gained some fresh insights but these were more or less overwhelmed by great wadges of verbiage on 'institutions'. Dickens seems to have had an obsession with prisons, orphanages, lunatic asylums and government. None of these are of any particular interest to this reader.

One aspect that he does cover - and at length - is the quaint habit, popular amongst males of that era, of chewing tobacco. Dickens seems to have been both fascinated and revolted by this custom. He goes to some length to describe how the carpeted floors of the grand buildings in Washington were extensively stained and splattered by the expectorations of the tobacco chewers. Nice!

All in all I found these American Notes quite hard going and gave up on them quite easily at the half way mark.

Craven House
Craven House
by Patrick Hamilton

4.0 out of 5 stars Patrick is the best, 9 Oct 2013
This review is from: Craven House (Paperback)
I like this type of prose. Patrick was a brilliant writer, pity he had such a destructive lifestyle, he died too early

Rage (The Faces of Evil 4): Faces of Evil 4
Rage (The Faces of Evil 4): Faces of Evil 4

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it, 9 Oct 2013
I've had to purchase each following book since I found this writer. Not the best written books in the world, but compulsive to find out what happens next in the saga.

Never Go Back (Jack Reacher, Book 18)
Never Go Back (Jack Reacher, Book 18)

3.0 out of 5 stars a little disappointing, 24 Sep 2013
Sorry to say that this is the first book in the Jack Reacher saga which hasn't lived up to his reputation. I've read all the others and enjoyed everyone. Hope the next one is more in the 5 star category I'm accustomed to.

Power (The Faces of Evil 3): Faces of Evil 3
Power (The Faces of Evil 3): Faces of Evil 3

4.0 out of 5 stars a good read, 24 Sep 2013
I enjoyed reading the third book in this series. Have purchased no4, and hope it lives up to the first three. Haven't had a chance to start it yet

The Slaves of Solitude
The Slaves of Solitude

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 29 Aug 2013
I've been a fan of Patrick Hamilton for a couple of years now ever since first reading 20Thousand Streets. There is a certain Dickensian quality to his writing particularly his observation, analysis and depiction of character that I find utterly compelling. |

His two most memorable characters (for me) are Mr Eccles in 20 Thousand and the perfectly hideous Thwaites in Slaves of Solitude. It appears that the author drew heavily upon his overbearing fathers' character in building the composite of Eccles/Thwaites. But whereas Eccles is merely pitiable Thwaites is more or less loathsome.

Much of the action in this book is set in the dining room of the Rosamund Tearooms (converted into a boarding house) during World War 2. Here the hideous Thwaites holds court dominating and presiding over the conversation during mealtimes. The other guests comprise little old ladies, a couple of American servicemen and the solitary Mr Prest. As the eldest guest Thwaites has assumed control of proceedings and gives forth with his own bewildering dogma on the conduct of the war, Americans, Russians and anything else that crosses his crazed mind.

Thwaites's particular target (for reasons unclear) is the plain spinster Miss Roach. The author takes us inside the mind of the hapless Miss Roach as she feebly tries to fend off the endless stream of vindictive scorn, sarcasm and general sniping from the dining room bully.

The 20 Thousand trilogy was great. Slaves of Solitude is wonderful.

Remington F5800 Titanium-X Pivot and Flex Dual Foil Shaver
Remington F5800 Titanium-X Pivot and Flex Dual Foil Shaver

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job., 31 July 2013
This Remington is a perfectly satisfactory shaver. My previous shaver was a rotary head model and I found it less than effective to do the job. I used to find myself practically scrubbing at my face to get the job done. With this foil model I find two or three passes are usually sufficient to get the desired effect.
Quibble: The release mechanism for the long hair trimmer feels quite flimsy and I wonder if it's going to be robust enough to stand up to long term use.
Aesthetics: I don't usually concern myself with the look of such things. (I just want to get shaved) but I suppose the Remington F5800 is pleasing enough to the eye.
Would I recommend this thing to others? Yup - definitely.

Dark Orchid
Dark Orchid

5.0 out of 5 stars First rate thriller, 25 July 2013
This review is from: Dark Orchid (Kindle Edition)
Three young guys devise a scheme to syphon off cash from a multinational. Their plan is simple, effective and even partly altruistic. (Some of their ill gotten gains will be funnelled into worthy projects in Africa).
So these are young villains who aren't particularly villainous. They want a pleasant life and they want to do some good along the way. Sounds reasonable.

All goes well til word of their plan gets back to a crime boss in their native city (Glasgow). He decides that he wants a slice of this action. The three young idealists demur. So Mr Big send in his favourite 'persuader' to get the boys to change their minds. Enter Galston - a grizzled heavy with a track record of success in getting people to see his boss's point of view.

All in all this is a very satisfying thriller with an intriguing scheme at its core. It is tightly written, skips along at a fair old pace and has a uniquely scary central villain. (You really don't want to get on the wrong side of this guy).
Highly recommended.

Body Sculpture BC1700 Exercise Bike
Body Sculpture BC1700 Exercise Bike

1.0 out of 5 stars Not enough slack - gap too wide, 19 May 2013
This is a good, solid looking, well made product. It looks well worth the price - and probably is, if you can assemble the thing. I couldn't. The problem with the bike is, as outlined by other posters, the tension cable. There is simply not enough 'play' or slack to hook up the cable. Even when the tension setting is set at its lowest (allowing maximum slack) the gap is still too wide. I sweated over this beast for a couple of hours before reluctantly conceding defeat and retiring to patch up torn finger nails and bloody knuckles.

Previous purchasers seem to have been eventually able to complete the assembly of the bike despite the tension cable problem which leaves me with two ways to go:

1) I was unlucky and got a 'one off' particularly bad bike with a particularly awkward short tension cable.

2) I'm useless, crap at do it yourself, hopeless.

Ahh - what do I care. It's bound to be my fault. That's what she'll say anyway.

No problem with the return. Dead easy. Money back in the bank. Still need a bike tho.