Profile for Avril Millar > Reviews

Content by Avril Millar

Avril Millar (London)

11 Oak Street: The True Story of the Abduction of a Three Year Old Child and its Appalling Lifetime Consequences
by Graham Cook

4.0 out of 5 stars Cruelty and incompetence called to account, 31 Aug 2014
Some stories have to be told, no matter how hard they are to write or to read. I found parts of this book impossibly sad but compelling - and found myself raging with the author against a perfect storm of mistakes followed up by almost unbelievable misfortune. The fact that it is a true story and the author has had to live with the consequences is sobering. It tells the truly harrowing story of how what could go wrong went wrong and how a very wealthy father lost everything in his just battle to have meaningful access to his son after his abduction from England to California. The corruption. ineptness, deprivation, cruelty, fraud and indifference the author Graham Cook had to endure is simply mind boggling.and how he kept his sanity is beyond me.

How To Be a Woman
How To Be a Woman
by Caitlin Moran

5.0 out of 5 stars 59 rocks and 5 stars, 29 Jun 2011
This review is from: How To Be a Woman (Paperback)
Brilliant, brilliant book and so wish I had read it when I was 21 (it would have killed me at 15 but I was slow starter - like till about now). At 59 and offically old as per Caitlin - and if ever I felt like embracing my oldness, Caitlin makes it not only appealling but the sort of thing you might rush through the earlier decades to get to - I tick most of the boxes for things done so far. Except the really fun stuff. Can't tell you how pleased I am that this book has been written and how more than pleased I am my 32 year old daughter has read it too. This book told some of the stories I have never told and wish I'd had the balls to. Absolutely astonishingly good and reinforces my hope that the younger women of today will finally knock the walls down. And holy moly, us old ones will be out there with you. Here's to being human. Thank you.

Angels, Dragons & Vultures
Angels, Dragons & Vultures
by Simon Acland

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and essential for any business owners, 19 Mar 2011
Although the book is written to inform about the pitfalls and benefits of seeking investment, the content is much, much wider and more valuable than just that. The sections on teams,remuneration and the fundamentals of good business should be required reading for all business owners. Not only that but the book manages to give strong numerical explanations on investment scenarios whilst remaining an entertaining and engaging read. I've already told several of the companies with which we work to buy copies for the whole senior team.

My Bonnie: How dementia stole the love of my life
My Bonnie: How dementia stole the love of my life
by John Suchet

5.0 out of 5 stars Profoundly moving tale of love, loss and hope, 21 Jun 2010
I started this book at just after 10pm, tucked up in bed to read a chapter or two. I put it down around 4am, having been unable to put it down and having read it from start to finish. Despite knowing the end, I couldn't bear to leave it and have to step back into the mix of profound sorrow and joy so eloquently described. Very few people have the privilege of loving and being loved so deeply and completely as John and Bonnie so clearly did (and do still, at least in John's case) and they would have rightly expected it to end only in death. The pain of this living death oozes from the pages and one can only grieve with John for his constant reminder of loss and admire his courage in stepping forward into life.

Essential reading for anyone who knows anyone with, or living with, dementia and a clarion call for proper, informed care for sufferers and their carers.

Ultimate Confidence: The Secrets to Feeling Great About Yourself Every Day
Ultimate Confidence: The Secrets to Feeling Great About Yourself Every Day
by Marisa Peer

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing and fast, 26 Jun 2009
I have probably read every book ever written about confidence and self belief and I must have attended every course available. I'm even a trained practitioner myself but have never been able to break out of a recurring self-defeating cycle of low self esteem and self sabotaging bahaviours, always carefully hidden behind a contrived mask of confidence. Marisa's book and its CD have been utterly life changing in a matter of weeks. Not just about the way I feel but about how my practical life has changed - new businesses set up and thriving, new opportunities arriving every day. I cannot recommed Marisa's book and CD highly enough. Simply read, listen and pay attention and a whole new you (probably the original you) will appear before your eyes, with no effort or strain.