Profile for Remi Lillelien > Reviews

Using Microsoft Visio 2010
Using Microsoft Visio 2010
by Chris Roth

3.0 out of 5 stars Beginners manual, 8 May 2012
I was somewhat let down with this book.
Its clearly for the beginner, with no prior experience with visio. i was hoping it was more a Using visio book, but its more a Beginning visio book.
not totally wasted money, as i have some coworkers who will benefit from this book.

Unix Shell Programming (Hayden Books UNIX System Library)
Unix Shell Programming (Hayden Books UNIX System Library)
by Stephen Kochan

5.0 out of 5 stars Luckily I bought this one first, 7 Dec 2002
And now I don't need another.
I bought this book along with "learning bash" also from O'Reilly, Great combo.
So now I write shell scripts form small oneliners to serveral pages long. No one likes repetative tasks, get these books and get rid off all the boring stuff.

Learn How to Study: A Realistic Approach
Learn How to Study: A Realistic Approach
by Professor Derek Rowntree

3.0 out of 5 stars Well Its another book on study skills, 6 Oct 2002
I would probably appricated this book more if I didn't read it after Tony Buzans masterpiece. In light of this it really offers nothing out of the ordinary (therefore 3 stars).
It did offer me some good advice on what too look for when buying books, and tips on looking for and drawing a book's heriarchy of ideas.
Verdict: the book is sufficient, but there are other far superior alternatives out there.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 11, 2014 4:57 PM BST

Use Both Sides of Your Brain (Plume)
Use Both Sides of Your Brain (Plume)
by Tony Buzan

5.0 out of 5 stars The ONLY book you need on study / learning, 6 Oct 2002
On my last order I purcahed amongst others, 3 books on study techniques. One of them ofcourse being this book, unfourtunaly one can say I read this book first.
The book covered no special direction in studying, college, university, at home, at work ... It was facinating to learn/understand how the mind processes infomation, so you can serve the information to it as the mind prefers it!
the book cover some great aspects:
*How to read activly
*Evaluating WHAT to read
*Creating mind-maps
*Recalling information
*Reading faster
All layed out in a easy to follow pace and intresting. I read the entire book in one evening.
The next day I discovered I didn't need the two other books on study skills... just wasted 20£, thats why it was unfortunate that I read this book first :) Anyway I read the two books (I mean I had bought them) like I learned from Tony Buzan. I finished them both in one evening... And a whole suitcase of confidence, ready to take on far more complicated books. Now I know how and what to read, and remember what i read.
I highly recomend this book to everyone considering learning anything (that should cover most of us).

Hack Attacks Denied: A Complete Guide to Network Lockdown
Hack Attacks Denied: A Complete Guide to Network Lockdown
by John Chirillo

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete waste of money!, 30 May 2001
First off the page count is very misleading, the author obviously had to fill a minimum of 500p. He solved this by filling inn with useless info. The book is 512pages, of which about a hundred is sourcecode which is also avaiable on the accompaning CD (total waste of page count!), then there is a 20p. syslog entry (which is completly unintresting!), ofcourse a index, and a user manual for the CD. So when we get to the bottom line there is about, maybe 250 pages, touching the field of security.
Then we come to the "tiger notes" whats up with that?!? I remember the romantic view of the computer emergency response teams in 80's cyberpunk novels which were called "tiger teams" is that the connection? Anyways the constant tiger notes and tiger tips geve the book an overall DUMMIES feel. which i think is degrading the issue of computer security, I for my part look for detailed technical books, NOT superficial nonsense like this!
The price for this book is [...] up there with Cisco press books, but atleast they provide value for your money! NO dear shopper if you are looking for a "IDIOTS guide for knowing your enemy" then please go ahead buy this book, even then you'll be as disapointed as I was! But on the other hand if you really need a book on hackers, and how they operate, get "Hacking Exposed" then go for "Building internet firewalls" and for dessert get Ciscos "Designing internet security".
Thanks for listening.

Ipsec: The New Security Standard for the Internet, Intranets, and Virtual Private Networks
by Naganand Doraswamy

3.0 out of 5 stars Just another book!, 4 May 2001
There is nothing special about this book. It tells you what it sets out to tell you, some basics about IPsec. Nothing more nothing less. Most consepts are meagrly explained, giving you a vauge feeling on how things work. I'll say you could participate in a superficial technical disscussion after reading this book.

Networking Intrusion Detection: An Analyst's Handbook (New Riders Professional Library)
by Stephen Northcutt

4.0 out of 5 stars Ahh, nothing like the smell of IP in the morning!, 25 April 2001
While this is a book on intrusion detection, I bought it for another reason. A friend refered me to this book when I asked him about "sniffing". The book is a great introduction to network sniffing! I give it "only" four stars because it falls short of its primary goal IDS.

Hack Proofing your Network: Internet Tradecraft
Hack Proofing your Network: Internet Tradecraft
by Ryan Russell

4.0 out of 5 stars Many interesting points, 25 April 2001
This book cover a lot of ground in the H/C category, altough it just mentions SE (social engineering) in a paragraph. Which is bad because it`s getting more common. It also (as mentioned above)is NOT a basics book, but if your feet are already wet, you`ll do just fine.

Mastering Network Security
Mastering Network Security
by C Brenton

3.0 out of 5 stars Introduction ONLY!, 3 April 2001
If you've read a book or two on Network/computer security before, this book offers nothing new, or special. Second it is written in a boring (in my opinion anyways) way. Third, even if you consider this book your first on internet security, don't! there are other books far better than this, "Internet security 2nd ed." from O'Reilly.

In Code: A Mathematical Journey
In Code: A Mathematical Journey
by Sarah Flannery

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, primer on crypthography., 22 Jun 2000
I gave this book 4 stars because it's not exactly what i was looking for, but the book is great belive you me. There are other books out there who is like this, starting out with nothing and then keep feeding you up, 'til you get the grip of things. (What Is Mathematics? by: Richard Courant, Herbert Robbins, Ian Stewart ISBN: 0195105192).
Sure it's cool to read how a 16year old managed to make such a great algorithm, but I was looking for more on the mathematical side and not so much on how she grew up. But hey ... we all have diffrent tastes (thank god).

Page: 1 | 2