Profile for C. Tapp > Reviews

Content by C. Tapp

C. Tapp

Norton Save & Restore (PC)
Norton Save & Restore (PC)

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice product, shame about the bugs and support, 7 Mar. 2007
In general, Save and Restore is very good. It will easily backup around 50GB of data to my NAS in a couple of hours. I've got it set to create incremental backups every hour. These work very well and don't noticeably impact the performance of the system.

However, it has some very annoying bugs:

1) The Backup Wizard won't let me alter the schedule for a backup. There are other ways to get to this, but why doesn't the edit button work?

2) I have configured hourly backups during the day with weekly creation of a new recovery set. The new recovery sets seem to be created at random, with a good few weeks between them - about a month in one case.

3) The restore CD (once it finally boots) doesn't seem to allow easy authentication of network shares - I have to go through a long process to get to a point where I can log in to the NAS before I can see the recovery set.

I've tried to get in touch with "Technical Support". My first on-line support request has not been answered (submitted about three months back). The second was closed by sending me a "read the FAQ's" response after about two months.

I've also tried phone support, but after spending 45 minutes being transfered around different departments and left in queues, I gave up.