Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Profile for Perkins > Reviews

Content by Perkins

Perkins

Handmade Natural Slate and Solid Oak Magazine Rack - Modern Contemporary Style
Handmade Natural Slate and Solid Oak Magazine Rack - Modern Contemporary Style
Offered by Oak Slate Design

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, very stylish, 2 Oct. 2015
This is a very stylish, well-made item. It holds a lot but the neat shape means it fits easily into a relatively small space. Excellent quality, well worth the price.

Dangerous Pursuits
Dangerous Pursuits

1.0 out of 5 stars Rambling, 6 May 2014
Maybe I should have skipped the prologue but I didn't and that's where the problems started. I was prepared to accept that I was about to read a novel by a best-selling author. I was also prepared to accept that I needed to know a bit about the central character before the book began especially as, apparently, the character had previously been the inspiration for a best-selling series. Nevertheless, I was quite relieved when the character was eventually introduced as his true personality not, incidentally, the personality he had originally been given for his series was sure to be revealed to me. I had already been informed that the book had been written using the first person viewpoint which, as we all know, can be tricky to bring off successfully in a novel. However, at last, I was about to meet the new personality, in the first person which was even more tricky, as by now, I knew he was dead. Unfortunately, his first person voice was so similar to the author's that it was at this point that I gave up and deleted the book from my Kindle. Maybe I did miss out on reading a potential bestseller but I can live with that. Good luck to anyone who gets past the prologue.

The Jack Hammer
The Jack Hammer

3.0 out of 5 stars Disjointed and rather contrived, 22 April 2014
This review is from: The Jack Hammer (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded this because I had previously read and enjoyed this author's work. However, I found this book quite disjointed and difficult to get into at first. Nevertheless, I persevered and once I managed to sort out who everyone was and the premise behind the rather complex plot was revealed, I began to really get into the story. Unfortunately, things didn't stay that way for long because there is a great deal of chopping and changing between the characters and I found the lack of focus on a single main protagonist really spoiled the flow of the story. There were an awful lot of characters in this book and several of them seemed to have been put there simply to effect a change or push home a point that had already been made. These minor characters were picked up and dropped at will, making some of the situations seem very contrived, especially when a previously minor character was suddenly pushed into the limelight to carry the story forward. The story revolves around American baseball and not being either sporty or American, the detailed sporting descriptions were a problem for me but in fairness to the author, I probably would have found it just as hard to relate to any sporting story. I felt that the villain was really too awful and that neither his nor any of the other characters were really given the chance to develop naturally. They seemed to be either one thing or the other depending on the situation. There was also a rather worrying lack of ability on the part of the American public to recognise their national heroes when they met them face to face. That seemed to go for all the main characters at least some of the time. Very disappointing.

Two Classic Stories
Two Classic Stories

5.0 out of 5 stars The work of a genius, 9 April 2014
Having heard David Sedaris reading his stories on radio, I was a little concerned that I wouldn't enjoy them without his voice to enhance the humour. I needn't have worried. These had me laughing and crying in just the same way as his broadcasts do. He is a most wonderful storyteller and everything he does is a joy to hear and read.

Meant for Her (Love and Danger, Book 1)
Meant for Her (Love and Danger, Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, solid romantic thriller, 9 April 2014
The heroine Julie and the hero Hank are well-drawn characters that really sparked off each other. The plot was well thought out and I really enjoyed the descriptive writing. The dialogue worked well too and perhaps the only thing that really jarred was the recovery rate from serious gunshot wounds. That did stretch credibility a bit but other than that, a good, solid read, well-crafted and enjoyable.

Killer Cupcakes (Lexy Baker Cozy Mystery Series Book 1)
Killer Cupcakes (Lexy Baker Cozy Mystery Series Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Too sickly sweet, 9 April 2014
Lexy runs a small bakery and her speciality is the tops of cupcakes as, when she was a little girl, she only ever ate the sweet, gooey tops and threw away the cake underneath. When her ex boyfriend is poisoned by one of her cupcake tops, she becomes the main suspect in his murder. Sadly, I had real problems with Lexy as a romantic heroine for several reasons. Firstly, her sole diet appears to be fattening cakes and pastries punctuated by the odd all American burger but of course, she still has a perfect figure. Secondly, she only wears designer shoes with incredibly high heels, even when working in her bakery. Apart from the obvious health and safety issues, this really stretches believability, even in a fluffy romance. Thirdly, she co-runs the bakery with her very best friend who, despite apparently having all the same experience, training and ability as a baker and appears to put in more hours than Lexy, is very much an employee. Yet, despite this, the girl seemingly adores her boss and will do anything for her. Nope, sorry, credibility and reader identification stretched to breaking point. Then, to cap it all, there is her Gran, who has conveniently moved into a retirement home, so Lexy can have her house and for some reason which never becomes apparent, has formed a grannies detective group, solving murders to help pass the time. Only they don't actually solve anything, especially not this murder which the love interest detective should have been able to crack before Lexy had eaten her first cake. OK as very light reading if there's nothing else around to pass the time.

QR Code Killer
QR Code Killer

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting idea, 6 Nov. 2013
This review is from: QR Code Killer (Kindle Edition)
The first few chapters of this thriller really grabbed my attention. I was instantly drawn to the central character and assumed I was in for an exciting, gripping read. I particularly liked the concept of using the high tech idea of a QR code as means by which the villain, Zeus, communicates with his detective victim. I also liked Erik, the handsome, vulnerable farmer and the kindly aunt very much and if you like reading about American homespun family life with equally homespun family philosophy, then it all makes for a very enjoyable read. However, the romantic storyline rather dominated the rest of the story, with the result that the excitement lost momentum and the storyline became very predictable and increasingly more and more unrealistic. I began to get very frustrated with the police investigation which didn't seem to have any idea which way it should be heading. There seemed to be far too much shoulder shrugging and not nearly enough commonsense investigation. The Zeus character became some kind of unlikely evil genius taking him way off the reality scale and it wasn't helped by the fact that I guessed his identity very early on in the book. It gave me no satisfaction to be proved right and really spoilt that side of the story for me. The other problem I felt with this idea was that despite the book's title, there seemed to be little reason for using the device of the QR code at all. Whilst it did play some part in finally tracking down the killer, it was by no means the major item in the investigation. In fact, computer technology had only a very small role in the whole book. It was a clever idea that didn't really come off in this particular instance. However, if you enjoy a good romance, with a bit of a thriller thrown in, then this is a well crafted story that will keep you reading, even if you do know how it is all going to end.

Death Comes eCalling (Book 1, Molly Masters Mysteries)
Death Comes eCalling (Book 1, Molly Masters Mysteries)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good, solid murder mystery, 29 Oct. 2013
This is an exceptionally well-crafted murder mystery. When Molly's husband is sent by his employers to work in the Philippines, she has little choice but to take up her parents' offer to return to their old family home with her two children until his work placement ends. With her parents settled well out of the way in Florida, Molly struggles to fit back into her old neighbourhood and the circle of school friends she had been relieved to leave behind many years ago. When she receives a strange letter from her recently retired schoolteacher, her attempts to make contact are met with news of the teacher's sudden death. The characterisation is excellent and in addition to Molly, the thoroughly likeable, sharp witted, central character, the best of the others for me were Tommy, the slow but sure Sheriff and the truly dreadful Daphne, the girl everyone loves to hate. Despite the title, I wasn't entirely convinced about Molly's expertise with computers. Any storyline that relies on technology has a tendency to date very quickly and in this respect, there were aspects of the plot that were just a little shaky. The reliance on faxes, for example, was a bit past its prime as was the rule that the children must not touch Molly's computer, something that is completely unthinkable for today's schoolchildren. This all indicated that the story was set quite a few years ago and in fairness, maybe it was. Nevertheless, this book had me gripped from the first line to the last. I thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to reading more by this skilful, imaginative author.

The Travel Auction
The Travel Auction

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever, witty and highly original, 4 Sept. 2013
This book had me from the first line and held me right through to the end. The highly original premise lifts it from the standard romantic fiction to something extra special. Even more relevant for me was that it deals with issues which affect friends of my own family. The characters have a quick and ready wit that is both funny and clever and some of the early situations had me falling about with laughter. As the story progressed the pace slowed a little but that just gave more opportunity for the reader to enjoy the wonderful descriptive writing. All the characters were vividly drawn and the personalities of all the main characters simply shone through. This is a terrific book, dealing with some pretty tough real-life situations in a sensitive, practical and down-to-earth way without detracting from the romantic theme. I loved it and would happily recommend and read anything by this talented, skilful author.

TeckNet® New iPad 4, iPad 3 & iPad 2 Premium Folio Leather Case / Cover and Flip Stand With Built-in Magnet for Sleep / Wake Feature + Screen Protector For New Apple iPad 4th Generation, iPad 3 & iPad 2 - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good quality, 23 Nov. 2012
A very good, high quality accessory. As good now as when we first fitted it over six months ago. Highly recommended.