Profile for A. Russell > Reviews

Batman: Gotham by Gaslight
Batman: Gotham by Gaslight
by Brian Augustyn

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for the price, 30 Jun 2010
I wasn't blown away by this, which was somewhat disappointing. I love the elseworld stories, and the idea of throwing batman into the Victorian age seemed like the greatest what if of all. The art was great at setting the mood, and I loved the historical tie-ins. My problem was that there was a fight going on between the character-study aspects and the actual plot. Bruce Wayne is amazing in this, but the plot just kind of creeps up on you and then it's done; the ending was anti-climactic to say the least. Part of me also wishes there had been more Victorian style gadgets involved but at the same time that probably would have detracted from the plot.

B.P.R.D. Volume 9: 1946: 1946 v. 9
B.P.R.D. Volume 9: 1946: 1946 v. 9
by Paul Azaceta

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Story, 30 Jun 2010
The artwork-- as always-- is gripping and helps push the story along; the story itself is incredible. I always love the WWII meets occult stories though. Up until this one, I had only read Hellboy comics, but this is a great introduction into a Hellboy universe without Hellboy. I was worried that the characters would not be as captivating or there wouldn't be the same degree of connection to them, but I was immediately engrossed in these characters and their motivations.

Green Arrow: Quiver
Green Arrow: Quiver
by Kevin Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the overall best green arrow stories as if yet, 30 Jun 2010
This review is from: Green Arrow: Quiver (Paperback)
This was the first comic i had actually read where green arrow was the main character, and it was a great introduction. Now having read more of the character, I can truly appreciate just how well Kevin Smith crafts Green Arrow in this. The story line is captivating and the art gives off the perfect vibe for the story.

England Beer Stein - St George
England Beer Stein - St George

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Purchase, 30 Jun 2010
This review is from: England Beer Stein - St George
I bought the stein for the specific reason of showing some English pride; there isn't much reason to get it otherwise. For the specific demographic it is geared towards, this is a great buy: the glass is sturdy and has decent weight to it. I haven't washed it yet, but it seems great quality.