Profile for Ian Blackwell > Reviews

Content by Ian Blackwell

Ian Blackwell

Divine Justice (Camel Club)
Divine Justice (Camel Club)
by David Baldacci

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 Nov. 2014
Best of the series so far - loved it - just one more to go...

OtterBox Defender Series Three-Layer Protection Case Cover with Screen Protector and Holster Style Swivel Belt Clip for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 10 Jun. 2014
Main reason for purchase was, quite simply, protection. This it does superbly - strong and secure, and touch screen works perfectly with the cover - no need to even adjust any sensitivity settings. BUT if it's sleek minimalism you're after, this might not be for you - pretty bulky. But then, if minimalism is what you're after, you probably wouldn't have bought a Galaxy Note phone in the first place. Spot-on, and so well made

Timex Intelligent Quartz Men's Compass Watch with Black Dial Analogue Display and Green Fabric and Canvas - T2N726

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and a good looker, 10 May 2013
Initially I was looking for a tough and water resistant "work watch" (I spend the day on the banks of, or paddling on a river). This seemed to fit the bill, but in all honesty the looks of this watch were what really convinced me to purchase (coupled with the brand). For me, best looking watch of this type, at this price-point, by far, and not at all disappointing when it arrived. Before purchasing online, looking at the pictures I wondered whether the canvas strap, whilst looking good, might be a weak point. However, in reality, it is far better than it looks - The back of the strap is a good quality, supple, water resistant leather - I may have missed it in the description, but this was to me, a very nice surprise!

On a more practical level, timekeeping seems very good so far. I just checked it and reckon it might have gained one second in the first two-weeks of ownership - Good enough for me! The compass function seems to work well once properly calibrated (a two-minute task once you know what you're doing) - I haven't checked the precise compass accuracy but I do know it's roughly finding North. It will be very rare that I use the compass, but it's a fun addition, and seems appropriate for a watch of this "outdoor" style. Not sure I would want to rely on it for orienteering/hiking, but I guess if that's your thing you would be looking for either a standalone compass, or a far more professional higher priced product?

As for my initial requirements of water resistance and general all-round toughness, neither of these have really been tested as yet, so can't comment. Though it does seem to be a good solid watch overall.

Very, very pleased.