Profile for Dr. Vernon M. Hewitt > Reviews

Content by Dr. Vernon M. ...

Dr. Vernon M. Hewitt (Bristol, UK.)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
TURN: Washington's Spies Season 2
TURN: Washington's Spies Season 2

5.0 out of 5 stars a job well done, 21 May 2015
I agree with all the five star brigade about this: well done, well acted, and `authentic' as far as it can be (or is plausible the word I am after). I think Washington is perfect; capable but self conscious of slight and station (and surrounded by pleasing young men in uniform....) The rest are also well done and compelling. especially Bell. We Brits come over as either fops or criminally insane (which is probably about right in the end) SOME suspect American accents...the only character who really irritates is Simco (? I might have blotted his name too well) partly because he is utterly insane to the point of caricature: we are heading of course to the most pondered history in British imperialism: would we have won if we hadn't worn red or if the French has been kept out of it - but seriously a pleasure to watch (or re-watch when Amazon forget it is Wednesday).
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 29, 2015 10:11 PM BST

The Signal
The Signal
Dvd

4.0 out of 5 stars A good and unusual twist to the abduction genre, 15 April 2015
This review is from: The Signal (Amazon Instant Video)
A good and unusual twist to the abduction genre, well acted and with some good twists and scenes. On reflection there could have been a bit more closure to the plot - why, where and to what end? But well worth watching.

No Goodbyes Thanks
No Goodbyes Thanks

2.0 out of 5 stars Once We Were Warriors meets Twin Peaks., 30 Mar. 2015
i thought this was just a very bizarre drama and I can see why it captivated many. Atmospherically filmed, with the landscape as one of its main stars but.... Reviews are so idiosyncratic and personal: it is certainly not my intervention to offend those who enjoyed it. Yet to me it seemed so implausible, all the characters so unlikable. I cannot believe in the representation of the various but repetitive masculines here nor indeed of the women. the refuge, the apparent spiritual insights - it was a slow beautifully filmed cliche which shows Kiwi societies as marginal, bestial and dysfunctional. i appreciate the concept of good guys with flaws, and bad guys with inner virtues, but this production just drowned in its own pretension:

Resurrection Season 2
Resurrection Season 2
Dvd

4.0 out of 5 stars Clearly this is a popular concept - and I think it is well done so long as as we get some closure on the plot and not just some, 30 Mar. 2015
I appreciate the posts about cost but it seems off to downgrade the show on this per se. This show is running not just against the French version of the Returned, but also against an American version of the returned as well as a movie. Clearly this is a popular concept - and I think it is well done so long as as we get some closure on the plot and not just some Lost like make it up as we go along.....I enjoyed these installments and find it well made and well acted.

Inventing a Nation: Washington, Adams, Jefferson (Yale Nota Bene series)
Inventing a Nation: Washington, Adams, Jefferson (Yale Nota Bene series)
by Gore Vidal

5.0 out of 5 stars A good polemic, short of some real supporting evidence in ..., 28 Mar. 2015
A good polemic, short of some real supporting evidence in places, and one suspects that in the end the Republic that Vidal spent his entire life defending (and later lamenting the loss of) never really existed but it was a good read, thought provoking and always entertaining

Ascension
Ascension

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting so far, 14 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Ascension (Amazon Instant Video)
Possible spoilers - read after you have seen episode one.

On the whole I enjoyed this - it's not a particularly novel concept but it is given a few novel tweeks - the acting varies from the clinically dead on screen (The Captain is clearly dead, the magnificent SIX (oops) I suspect is waiting for a cylon to show up) ) but we have the XO's jaw line and his smoldering looks of suspicion to keep us going. There is of course the scary girl, who would certainly give Carrie a run for her money. The real issue for me - as with so many stfy commissioned works - is the sense that there is no real control of the plot itself - that this is a sort of cock tail of what a committee might think will keep viewers watching - so instead of working on one theme (a time warped crew evolving under constant external manipulation, an expansive call girl network) we have hints at long term genetic experiments and competing government organizations. Really interesting issues, race, sexuality, hinted at well off script, are left unexplored. Would a crew sequestered away from the late 1960s or early 70s discriminate against the OX because he was born below deck or because he was black? Would sexual identities have remained fixed to such a heterosexual norm given that sex is `the currency' of power on the ship? Would so many people over so long remain convinced hey were in space? And given the technical competence of the series so far - good to very good - why is the script so undercooked, leaving the characters for the most part like extras from PAN AM? However - I will keep watching until, I suspect, the plot reals out of control and the second series dies because of some board room coup.

The Man in the High Castle: Sneak Peek
The Man in the High Castle: Sneak Peek
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most difficult of Dick's books to tackle ..., 15 Jan. 2015
One of the most difficult of Dick's books to tackle and yet this pilot looked extremely promising and true to the spirit of the novel: I cannot wait to see how this pans out.

Moby Dick: Part 1
Moby Dick: Part 1

5.0 out of 5 stars whale lines, 19 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Moby Dick (Amazon Instant Video)
It is extremely difficult to make a film of a book like Moby Dick; it evades visuals and works deep on the imagination. The characters are Homeric, and their language archaic. Yet this two part dramatization is an epic stab at achieving such an adaption. William Hurt excels as Ahab, his madness is prophetic and divine, and the whaling scenes are breath taking. Of course we `see' the whale in a way that diminishes it - the CGI is good but at times out of synch with the filming itself: it is a minor quibble, a very enjoyable piece and well worth watching.

The End - Part 1 of 2
The End - Part 1 of 2
Dvd

1.0 out of 5 stars ... ended with the byline `so ends one of the greatest TV events of the decade', 6 Sept. 2014
Season six ended with the byline `so ends one of the greatest TV events of the decade': in retrospect, I think this absurd and pointless drama tells us much more about who we were and what we had come to expect of mystery and entertainment at the beginning of the 21st century. Personally - and it is not my intention to offend but to be honest - I cannot recall such a waste of acting and production talent ever. No doubt some of the production and creation teams involved here convinced themselves that what they were producing was an innovative, post modern take on the `mystery island' genre: actually they were literally making it up as they went along - the utter antithesis of both plot and drama; no continuity, no reason, simply no point, but a staggering random form of celebrity castaway which produced some of the most absurd scripts and events every televised.Why were so many people convinced by this t watch it for so long? That is the greatest event, not the show, but the compulsion to watch what is meaningless.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 10, 2014 9:33 AM BST

First Thing We Do, Let's Kill All the Lawyers
First Thing We Do, Let's Kill All the Lawyers

5.0 out of 5 stars It is a joy - and a relief - to watch, 2 Aug. 2014
As with the West Wing, this series is hard hitting and perfectly scripted. It underlines the incredible strength of current US drama. The depiction of the Tea Party - which you sense comes from deep inside Sorkis' soul - has not, to my Whiggish sensibilities, been bettered. One might quibble with the Sorkin Myth that there was this golden age of America, that the Republic fell into this factional divisive period recently, but that is besides the point: The interview scene at North Western is one of the most remarkable pieces of drama I have seen for a very long time. It is a joy - and a relief - to watch.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5