Profile for Tony Jackson > Reviews

The Salati Case
by Tobias Jones
Price: 4.68

2.0 out of 5 stars Tedious and cliched, 19 Dec 2010
This review is from: The Salati Case (Paperback)
Well if ever there was an example of a book which does not live up to the "recommendations" on its cover, then this is it. at only 260 small pages I thought this would be a one- or two-sitting thriller. But no. It is so dull that it took me forever to plough through it and frankly I couldn't have cared less about the denouement by the time I got to it. To be avoided at all costs. Stick to the non-fiction please Mr Jones.

The Whole Day Through
The Whole Day Through
by Patrick Gale
Price: 5.59

2.0 out of 5 stars The first time I have been disappointed by a Patrick Gale novel, 8 July 2009
This review is from: The Whole Day Through (Paperback)
I have read every book he has written. I have always waited for them with great anticipation. I started with Little Bits of Baby, wept on a beach over Facts of Life then enjoyed his works more and more through Rough Music, Notes....., Friendly Fire and so on. I have sought out his short storied in collections and loved his work on Maupin. He is one of my top three favourite authors . But this time he has disappointed me. i found this novel to be flimsy at best, the characters only superficially of interests ( and usually his characterisation is astounding) and possibly just pale copies of those which have gone before. This might be the type of novel that some enjoy alongside a Jilly Cooper or some other light read - but for me he has lost his way for the first time and that's a shame. I hope the short stories coming out soon are better.

The Secret
The Secret
by Rhonda Byrne
Price: 10.49

1.0 out of 5 stars The biggest pile of tosh, 27 April 2008
This review is from: The Secret (Hardcover)
I am afraid that the only people who can get anything out of this book are those who have never reflected on life nor managed to find access to the part of their brain that develops intelligence.

My Lives
My Lives
by Edmund White
Price: 9.69

2.0 out of 5 stars Deeply dispiriting, 5 July 2007
This review is from: My Lives (Paperback)
White's Boy's Own Story was a defining read of my early adult life and The Married Man remains one of the most important and beautifully written novels I have read. So I approached his autobiography with anticipation. As expected it is also wonderfully written prose, however I find the content utterly self-serving and self-indulgent. He himself suggests his friends will ask "is there no detail or EW's sex life we will not be spared" to which the answer is a resounding "No". What is it about my fellow gay men that they insist on ramming the details of their sex lives - in EW's case a pretty extreme one by anyone's standards - down our throats. Why can even he not be more sophisticated than the juvenile "I define myself by my sexuality and reserve the right to spare you no detail" mindset? You do not find straight novelists going in to this level of detail about their sex lives so why must EW let us all down by caricaturing himself and ourselves in this way? This has been the most dispiriting read from someone who should know better. Best avoided.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 14, 2010 2:13 PM GMT

On Chesil Beach
On Chesil Beach
by Ian McEwan
Price: 10.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection again from McEwan, 13 Jun 2007
This review is from: On Chesil Beach (Hardcover)
Quite how one human being can consistently create such perfect prose is beynd me.
As with many other reviewers I wait longingly for the next McEwan and snap it up in hardback ASAP. At 160 or so pages this one is a potential "one sitting" read (on the beach?) with such a compelling mix of simplicity and power of emotion.
Taking you back to days typified by innocence, morality or hypocrisy - depending on your point of view - McEwan repeats the trick of Saturday by compressing the lives and dilemmas of the two protagonists into one day - with flashbacks to events in their former lives which have shaped their attitudes and behaviours. Reading this book creates a mental picture so vivid that it is like watching a movie. I for one was completely taken by the experience.

Anthology One
Anthology One

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like any Solar Stone then this is for you, 13 Jun 2007
This review is from: Anthology One (Audio CD)
At last.......Solar Stone are stars in the club world, with tracks and mixes rivalled by very few others. This is my dream CD which I've been awaiting for a long time. If you're into uplifting house then just buy it. One of the best.

Godskitchen Anthems
Godskitchen Anthems
Offered by Quick Discount Sales
Price: 23.56

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the top compilations, 13 Jun 2007
This review is from: Godskitchen Anthems (Audio CD)
I have shelves full of clubbing mixes and compilations and this one is amongst the best. I already had many of the tracks but not these mixes. I've loaded the 3 CDS (great value by the way!) onto my ipod and expect them to be on "play" for much of the summer. If you are looking for a well-thought through selection of some of the all time classics you've found it.

Shakedown
Shakedown
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Accessible House at its best, 13 Jun 2007
This review is from: Shakedown (Audio CD)
The Freemasons are genius mixers - any decent club probably features at least one of their tracks or mixes at the moment. They are all-powerful! This brings together everything they have done and these CDs will stay in your player for a long time. Fantastic music for pre-clubbing, a party, a drive to the beach for...well.....wahtever. Simply the type of music that lifts you up. Top notch.

The Cult Of Violence : " The Untold Story Of The Krays " :
The Cult Of Violence : " The Untold Story Of The Krays " :
by John Pearson
Price: 7.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing, 13 Jun 2007
You should "Profession of Violence first" then move on to this follow up, written after the twins died.

I could not beleive what I was reading having been too young to remember the Krays. The fact that they ran rings aroudn the British Establishment to this extent, and became cult figures of such power in the underworld, is really quite astonishing.

These two books converted me to "truecrime" and make for compelling reading. You can learn more about the world of 60s Britain by readign these than you can from many history books.

The Profession of Violence: The Rise and Fall of the Kray Twins
The Profession of Violence: The Rise and Fall of the Kray Twins
by John Pearson
Price: 6.13

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't believe it can be true, 13 Jun 2007
The story of how two working class boys from the East End rose to become two of the most powerful men in Britain is quite astonishing. That they ran rings around the establishment to this extent is really beyond belief. This is the book that converted me to the "truecrime" cause and reads as well as any thriller.
Once you've enjoyed this one move on to the Cult of Violence where the really fascinating stuff comes out - "Profession" was written when the twins were alive, "Cult" after they died.
You can see why some see them as heores . More accurately they were villains but, even so, this is a remarkable story

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4