Profile for debhenri > Reviews

Content by debhenri

debhenri

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Volume One 1929-1964: The Greatest Science Fiction Stories of All Time Chosen by the Members of the Science Fiction (SF Hall of Fame)
by Robert Silverberg

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 13 Aug. 2015
This was actually a present for someone else. But I started to read it before I wrapped it up - as I often do. I found at least the first story intriguing. The new owner says it's quite good. Not all the stories are too his taste, but most are and it is still a good collection. Many stories to cover many tastes.

Just Seed - British Wild Flower - German Chamomile (Scented Mayweed) - matricaria recutita - 8000 Seed

5.0 out of 5 stars Good healthy, reliable Camomile seed, 20 April 2015
It's my first time growing Camomile, and they are coming up like mustard and cress in the seed trays. Obviously very healthy seed that seems to be resisting damping off disease nicely. I look forward to planting the majority of seedlings into my lawn. The rest I will keep potted as I want to make Camomile tea (flavoured with Lavender, which I as small plants - also from Amazon).

Pack x3 English Lavender Angustifolia 'Munstead' Perennial Garden 7cm Pot Plants
Offered by swanley village nursery

5.0 out of 5 stars Lavender angustifolia, 20 April 2015
I have had these plants a couple of months now. I potted them up into 7cm pots using a compost/sand/gravel mixture (as I live in a very wet climate and these will need extra drainage). They are all doing very well and growing strong. They look set to flower this summer. These were supplied as nice little plants with plenty of shoots and a lot of root. All were well packaged to stop them smashing around inside the box. Very happy with this purchase!

Clipper Snore & Peace Tea 20 Tea Bags 30g - CLIP-CTN817
Clipper Snore & Peace Tea 20 Tea Bags 30g - CLIP-CTN817
Offered by YOU Salons

4.0 out of 5 stars Actually snoring peacefully, at last...., 21 Jan. 2015
I have suffered sleep problems for the past 37 years, since the day I started high school in fact. (I blame homework, boredom and bullies!)
My nights would be either totally sleepless, or riddled with dreams featuring tornadoes, or I would get a couple of hours light sleep and then spend the rest of the night staring at the ceiling. After my schooling finished I began to develop strange habits during those scant hours I was actually asleep: talking nonsense, sleepwalking, grinding my teeth, turning over and over and over inside the sheets until I resembled a giant silkworm, occasionally punching, kicking, and even biting, and the unsettling feeling of being awake but unable to move my limbs (that's the worst one of the lot by the way). So, I think most people would agree I have a pretty bad sleep problem.

I have tried all sorts of other herbal teas and remedies, without an ounce of success. I have tried changing my diet. I have tried eating my last meal earlier in the day, not eating anything past midday, avoiding cheese and chocolate, avoiding caffeine, not drinking anything past 4pm. I have never drunk coffee (so that's not to blame). I have tried hypnotism. All without success.
Although there have been times I considered asking my doctor to prescribe sleeping tablets, I just could not bring myself to do it. I wanted to find something natural to help my problem, but never imagined I would find anything effective. It was my somewhat desperate husband (who knows what it's like to be woken at midnight with my teeth trying to eat through his back) found this little blue box of tea in a local supermarket.

To start with, I avoided trying it. The teabags smell weird (strongly of lavender to my nose. Although others claim to smell camomile or mint). I have a tremendous sense of smell, beyond the normal, and it was this that put me off drinking this blend to begin with. The other problem I have is a tendency to get indigestion with pretty much 50% of anything I want to eat or drink. So I am very cautious of new products. Besides, nothing had helped improve my sleep pattern before. So why should this be any different?

When I did finally start trying them (my usual camomile & honey tea having run out) my first reaction was 'Wurgh! Funny taste! What sadist thinks up these concoctions?' But you get over that after a few cups. Actually, a good few cups. In fact it tastes quite nice after a...while, like stewed hedgerow with a lavender pillow thrown in.

As to my sleep patterns... Well, to be honest, I didn't notice any real difference - to begin with. My nights remained as restless as ever. I would still wake up a shade before or after midnight, and then proceed to stare at the ceiling until 5:30 am. (That's when I have to get out of bed because I am just so bored by that time).
So, I thought this product was just going to be another waste of time, money, etc.
That is... until the day I was down to my last teabag. Faced with a choice between plain tap water and a long journey to the shops by foot and bus through snow and ice, I decided to boil up the kettle again and use the same teabag a second time.
The taste was practically gone this time. (More lavender pillow than stewed hedgerow I would say).
Yet... I fell asleep 20 minutes later! I was flat out for ages. When I awoke I felt wonderfully relaxed for the rest of the evening and went to bed my normal time, enjoying a very good night's sleep - this time till about 4am. Okay, that may seem early to many, but it's a positive sleep-in for me!

So, for me at least, the tea works wonders if the bags are allowed to go cold after the first infusion (that's what I do in the morning), and then use it a second time a couple of hours before bed. Then the sleep-inducing effects do seem stronger, and I am not the kind of person capable of kidding myself into sleeping an extra few hours. I only wish I was.

I gave it 4 stars rather than 5 because it does taste quite strange, and that does take a bit of getting to. Probably about a week. I don't think the manufacturers are going to be able to disguise the taste unless they add something else to it. And I would never suggest they consider doing so because of my intolerance to just about half the products you find in an average supermarket.

So, if you do have a sleep or relaxation problem, this is certainly worth a go. For me it works wonders, and I never thought I would find anything that would.
Happy dreams!

Hot Fuzz (2 Disc Special Edition) [2007] [DVD]
Hot Fuzz (2 Disc Special Edition) [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Simon Pegg
Offered by Qoolist

4.0 out of 5 stars I bought this at the same time as Shaun of ..., 3 Jan. 2015
I bought this at the same time as Shaun of the Dead, without having seen either in the cinema or anywhere else. I must admit I prefer this film out of the two.
As one or two reviewers mention, it is a bit of a 'slow' starter. We are given a fairly lengthy (but necessary) preview into Simon Pegg's 'policing' career and then follow his reluctant transfer into a 'seemingly' dead-end job within a quiet village.
But the action soon heats up when the bodies start mounting, and I do prefer those mysteries that have the audience guessing whodunnit as well. The typical American cop-style action, the over-the-top filming techniques so common in Hollywood action movies, the charming country accents and quaint English village backdrop all make for an hilarious combination.

The Secret Diary Of Adrian Mole Collection
The Secret Diary Of Adrian Mole Collection
by Sue Townsend

5.0 out of 5 stars I have always enjoyed the Adrian Mole stories, 3 Jan. 2015
I have always enjoyed the Adrian Mole stories, first reading them as a pre-teen and teenager, and now buying them for my own teenage son. As people often say, Sue Townsend understands adolescent boys better than they understand themselves. So it's not just good reading, it's good therapy for those difficult years. Although I have absolutely no trouble encouraging my own boy to read, I have heard from friends that it's a good way to encourage a somewhat reluctant reader.

Keeping Mum [DVD]
Keeping Mum [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rowan Atkinson
Offered by DVDBayFBA

4.0 out of 5 stars but still enjoyed it. A surprising twist at the end, 3 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Keeping Mum [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this on the strength of reviews. Not one of Rowan's funniest roles, but still enjoyed it. A surprising twist at the end.

Rose & Lemon Turkish Delight (Dusted) 250 gram bag (1/4 kilo)
Rose & Lemon Turkish Delight (Dusted) 250 gram bag (1/4 kilo)
Offered by Sweet Factore

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice and soft too, 3 Jan. 2015
Lovely flavour, especially the rose one. Nice and soft too.

Buy Whole Foods Organic Black Sesame Seeds 500 g
Buy Whole Foods Organic Black Sesame Seeds 500 g

5.0 out of 5 stars Good fresh product, ideal in recipes, reasonably priced, 13 Dec. 2013
I wasn't able to buy black sesame in the high street, even in top name health food shops. So I was pleased to find it here on Amazon at such a reasonable cost.
Due to a few food intolerances in my family (including myself), I've found it necessary to top up the supply of minerals and vitamins by using various seeds to bulk up stews, casseroles, and inventing 'pepper mixes' for sprinkling on sandwiches and salads.
I add the seeds whole to anything I cook. I grind them for my pepper mixes.
I had considered buying a bottle of black sesame pressed oil to start with. But I had to bear in mind that when others in my family indulge in cooking up a snack, they are quite capable of using special (and expensive) oils as liberally as they use the olive oil!
However, in seed form, Mum has full control of just how much is being used!

Terminal (Tunnels 6)
Terminal (Tunnels 6)
by Roderick Gordon

4.0 out of 5 stars A great - if occasionally disturbing - read, 13 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Terminal (Tunnels 6) (Paperback)
Myself and my teenage son have shared the buying of this entire series. For his part, he enjoyed every single book without complaint - this being ideal for mid-teens upwards.
Basically, it's a tale concerning a secret underground society that has unpleasant plans for us surface dwellers. The plot is full of twists and turns, can be totally ruthless, sometimes horrific, and even pretty disgusting. Beware, there's no Hollywood-style feel good factor about this particular story. The authors are totally realistic when it comes to mortality rates, and heroes get hit every bit as bad as the villains.
Parents should know that there is use of bad language, guns and explosives. While this makes for exciting and adventurous reading for teens and adults, I certainly wouldn't have bought this for my son had he been any younger.

Oh, one reviewer did complain about the unscientific aspect of this series (ie. that the Earth is hollow and there seems to be no apparent mechanism for providing gravity). I don't know if he bought any more books in this series - but it's all satisfactorily explained in the end.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8