Profile for Linus > Reviews

Young For Eternity
Young For Eternity
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly fabulous, 8 Feb 2006
This review is from: Young For Eternity (Audio CD)
In a way I think that indie music has taken a wrong direction over the last years, I mean, sure Franz Ferdinand and Kaiser Cheifs are OK, but it is still missing the heart and soul that was the trademark of Brit-indie a few years ago. Though hearing The Subways made me hope for the future of indie rock again!
This is pure indie rock'n roll and it is almost impossible to sit still when listening to it, I just have to jump around and scream and sing along! There is a great mix of songs on the album, from the beautifully build up opener 'I Want to Hear What you Have Got to Say', the more slow 'Mary' and the furious rock singles 'Rock & Roll Queen' and 'Oh Yeah'. To compare it with some other artists, you can say that it is a bit like 'Jet' and 'Vines' but better!
To give you a hint of how you should value my words, I can say that of the recent releases I really like the groups 'We Are Scientists' and 'Maximo Park' while I dont care much for 'Editors', 'Cribs', 'Rakes' and 'Departure', but in the end it is up to everyone to judge for themselves!
Buy, listen, jump & scream!

And The Glass Handed Kites
And The Glass Handed Kites
Offered by Champion Toys

4.0 out of 5 stars Good or great?, 29 Sep 2005
Hmm, this is difficult. I mean, I really do like Mew and 'Frengers' was an amazing album and 'Am I wry? No!' and '156' are exceptional songs, but this new album is something different.
I read on the bands homepage that they ask you to give the album some time, and I think that is a good advice, it is a definite grower. Of course the singles 'Special' and 'Apocalypso' as well as 'Zookeepers boy' and 'Chinaberry tree' are quite direct songs, but the album is a bit of a concept album that just keps flowing on nicely with some great twists. This is not a bad thing, but I am a bit disappointed, maybe because I liked 'Frengers' so much and that this is somewhat quite different.
I had the same feeling when fellow Danes in 'Saybia' released 'These are just years' after the marvellous 'The second you sleep', but now I like those two album equally much, so let's hope for the same with Mew and the glass handed kites.
Not my album of the year, but still a good one!

Too Blind To Hear
Too Blind To Hear
Offered by Blind Owl Records

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely great!, 12 Sep 2005
This review is from: Too Blind To Hear (Audio CD)
This is one of the best CD's I own! I bought it when it was released and it is still one of my favourites! Budapest have released another album after this one, called 'Head towards the dawn' which for somereason only has been released in Spain(!?). I guess they lost their record deal after 'Too blind to hear' didn't sell as well as expected, as well as some tragedies around the band members around the release of it mad them lie low for a while. They are performing live still, latest in January thay played the Garage in London. The new CD is available on some download music shops, but I hope one day to find it here on Amazon!
Anyway, just buy this CD if you haven't done it yet, it's the best!

Pretty In Black
Pretty In Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Natural next step, 25 May 2005
This review is from: Pretty In Black (Audio CD)
Just got hold of this CD and, after being listening a lot to the previous albums by The Raveonettes, I was thrilled to finally find it around.
The album has to be said to be a natural next step for the band. It is a bit slower than the previous ones but also a bit better worked on I would guess. The songs are great and, as before, you still get the feeling of a fifties movie or something when listening. Another way to describe the sound of The Raveonettes could be to imagine The White Stripes doing the soundtrack to Twin Peaks.
My favourites tunes so far, mind you I have only listened to the album a couple of times, is 'Love in a trashcan', 'Uncertain times' and 'You say you lie', but this is over all a great album!
Well done to the Danes, now we look forward to the coming Mew album!

Lesser Matters
Lesser Matters

4.0 out of 5 stars Odd exciting..., 20 Dec 2004
This review is from: Lesser Matters (Audio CD)
Lesser matters is the debut album of the swedish group Radio Dept. It has received great reviews in all kinds of media in Sweden and The Radio Dept is concidered to be one of the great indiegroups for many years from now!
Though, great reviews in Sweden at the moment doesn't guarrantee that everyone will like this! At the moment it is a bit "hip" to be odd in Sweden and the record is actually a bit different! Mind you that groups like Muse, Feeder and Idlewild aren't rated at all in Sweden nowadays.
Even though I am saying that this record is a bit odd, I must admit that it is really exciting and that I was curious all the time when I first heard it, to hear what was coming next!
If I should try to describe the sound, I would like to draw paralells to 'Belle and Sebastian' and 'The Reindeer section' but the sound is more electric and agressive. Sometimes the songs are amazingly beatyful, sometimes agressive and melancolic. I would also say that you can hear some similarity to 'Snowpatrol' and 'Clearlake' in Radio Dept as well.
Anyhow, this is an exciting and beautiful record and it's well worth the money!

The Invitation
The Invitation
Offered by Giant Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Let me help :-), 1 Dec 2004
This review is from: The Invitation (Audio CD)
I have read loads of reviews both here and in magasines, where Thirteen senses is compared to both Coldplay and Radiohead. Don't get me wrong, those are great bands, but I have to say that this is a little bit different! Comparisons with Keane is OK though!
The music is so lovely, smooth, melancolic, sad, melodic and it sends shivers down my spine! I promise you, this is a definite buy, nobody can say anything but that this is marvellously talented pop music!
Now to the "help" part. Here is a list of artist that are similar to Thirteen Senses, of course you can use this the other way around and buy all of those CD's if you know and like Thirteen Senses!
1. Budapest, 2. Easyworld, 3. Lorien, 4. Unbelievable Truth
5. Mew, 6. Saybia, 7. Keane
Buy, buy, buy!!!

The American Adventure
The American Adventure
Offered by NetsavesUK

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh no...stop...rewind..., 19 Oct 2003
This review is from: The American Adventure (Audio CD)
Looking at the potential of this group, I must say that this was one of my largest dissapointments when it comes to music!
It is really sad to see a an artist really just going downward from the start. 'Silent to the dark' and 'Empty at the end' where marvellous songs, 'Holes in the wall' was a good album, but now everything is gone!
My advice to all of you is to go for 'Cosmic rough riders' instead if yo want good popmusic!

Guattari: (FROM THE WEST FLOWS GREY ASH AND PESTILENCE)
Guattari: (FROM THE WEST FLOWS GREY ASH AND PESTILENCE)

3.0 out of 5 stars Halo or Halo?, 7 April 2003
First of all, I would like to clarify that this group Halo is an australian two man project and not the same group that has released the marvellous 'Lunatic Ride' with the singles 'Cold light of day' and 'Sanctimounious', that is important to know!
Though, this record is pretty decent as well, and the music is within the same genre. A big difference though is that the music pretty much concists of bass and drums, the guitars are not that conspicuous. The vocals are OK and the record actually rocks, maybe in a more metal kind of way!
Anyhow, it might be worth the money but the other 'Halo' is by far a better choice!

RADIO DEPT. - LESSER MATTERS
RADIO DEPT. - LESSER MATTERS
Offered by thebookcommunity

4.0 out of 5 stars Odd but really exciting!, 2 April 2003
Anyhow, this is an exciting and beautiful record and it's well worth the money!

Lunatic Ride
Lunatic Ride
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent music, I have to admit..., 25 Mar 2003
This review is from: Lunatic Ride (Audio CD)
I got my copy of 'lunatic ride' a couple of days ago, and I must say that this is a surpricingly good record, the best I have bought since Idlewild's Remote part and I have to have bought at least a hundred records since then! The band is completely unknown in Sweden (where I live...) and the record haven't even been released here, that is a huge misstake!
I have read all the comparisons to Muse and those are not totally out of bounds. I would describe the sound like Muse meet Puressence meet Idlewild meet My Vitriol meet JJ72 by saying that Halo has the excellent melodies of Idlewild, the melancholy of Puressence, the vocals of Muse, the pace of My Vitriol and the curiousness of JJ72.
My favourite track is 'Cold lite of day' but 'Still here', 'Sanctimonious' and 'All or nothing' are not far behind!
So don't hesitate, you won't be disappointed, BUY IT!

Page: 1 | 2