Profile for Jennifer Gosling > Reviews

Content by Jennifer Gosling

Jennifer Gosling (London, UK)

Enough Is Enough: or The Emergency Government
Enough Is Enough: or The Emergency Government
by Mark Lawson

2.0 out of 5 stars Enough is definitely enough., 6 Jun 2013
I was looking forward to reading this book, I enjoy Mark Lawson's writing in the Guardian and enjoyed a play he wrote for Radio 4 and the subject matter is certainly ripe for drama/comedy/thriller whatever genre you want. However, I found the characters one dimensional and in parts was unbelievably crude, for no particular plot purpose as far as I could see. There was also quite a bit of loud scene setting to MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WE ARE IN THE 1960s!! Which tends to be the style of people who aren't comfortable writing in the past. I was surprised and disappointed.

Get Real: How to Tell it Like it is in a World of Illusions
Get Real: How to Tell it Like it is in a World of Illusions
by Eliane Glaser
Price: 11.24

4.0 out of 5 stars Get Real, 9 July 2012
I enjoyed the book overall. It was a good reminder of things that I'd stopped noticing or that have become so much of our modern culture that we don't really think about them anymore. It's an easy/quick book to read and easy to pick up again if you get diverted onto something else for a while. There are some references within it and a list of selected reading at the end, for people who want to read further, but I found it rather theory-light. At times it feels very much like a stream of consciousness, although a very well written and clearly thought out stream. At times I did want to shout 'Yes, I get it! But apart from paying attention, what do you want me to do?!' It was short on solutions or suggestions for action. There are also places where the lack of a coherent underpinning ideology (a return to overt ideology being something she argues for and which I agree with)leads to some contradictory conclusions or idealistic reliance on the system as it stands to change things. It was a bit too superficial for me, I prefer more meat (or fibre), but I'd certainly recommend it as a good read.

The Needlework Garden: Over 20 Creative Designs
The Needlework Garden: Over 20 Creative Designs
by Jane Iles

5.0 out of 5 stars Embroidery Projects, 7 July 2012
I borrowed this book from the library to get inspiration for an embroidery project I was working on. I was so impressed with the pretty designs, the variety of the projects and the way the patterns can easily be transferred to other projects that I had to buy it. My next project will be the cushion, as displayed on the cover (although without the ghastly frill!).

Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln
Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln
by Doris Kearns Goodwin
Price: 10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Team of Rivals, 17 Mar 2009
This is a fascinating and detailed study of Lincoln's early political life and rise to the presidency. His story is set against those of his political rivals, which gives it a greater depth than a pure biography. It is well written and easy to read, rather than being a dense and weighty tome. The text is full of colour and personal or domestic detail. I found it easy to become absorbed in the unfolding narrative, as good a story as many fiction books.

Getting Things Done: How to Achieve Stress-free Productivity
Getting Things Done: How to Achieve Stress-free Productivity
by David Allen
Price: 9.79

5.0 out of 5 stars This could revolutionise your life., 13 Sep 2006
This book is all about organisation, not time management. It gives you a cast iron way of getting yourself organised and feeling safe and secure that all your loose ends, or 'open loops' in David Allen's words, have been picked up. It may take time to apply the structure to your life, particularly if you are a bit disorganised, but even doing 50% of what he suggests will make a huge difference. It can be applied to work and home, without feeling that you're always 'at work'. What a relief it is not to have all those 'open loops' clogging up my mind, suddenly it's free for more interesting thoughts and plans and projects. I've never got so much of what I actually WANT to do done, as opposed to what I ought to do, because what I ought to do is already taken care of!