Profile for mboeni > Reviews

Content by mboeni

mboeni

Iiyama 23 inch XB2380HS-B1 LED Monitor (VGA, DVI, HDMI, MM)
Iiyama 23 inch XB2380HS-B1 LED Monitor (VGA, DVI, HDMI, MM)
Price: 138.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality (gaming) monitor? Look no further., 14 July 2014
This is the third iiyama monitor that I've now had over the years and just like the others it didn't disappoint, not one bit.

Build quality: sturdy, not hideous in any way. Height is changeable, just right at the highest point for me. Buttons and menu are okay, simple enough. Can't really comment on the speakers. Always found the idea of it pointless. It has enough connections, although I would've preferred an additional HDMI slot over the VGA slot.

Picture quality: it's fast alright. I'm kind of allergic to input lag/slow monitors, but this one did not disappoint me. And colors are also great. I'm personally fine with TN, but IPS at this price certainly doesn't hurt.

Games: Have played PC, PS4 and Xbox One games. Overall it's brilliant because of the colors and response time, perfect for games like Call of Duty (or the upcoming Master Chief Collection :D). Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes on the PS4 looked even better than on my TV, especially thanks to the reduces/better motion blur.
For PC gamers: I was able to downsample from up to 3200x1800@65hz. Good enough for me.

Videos: I've watched Vikings Season 2, some game trailers and a bit of anime. No problems here, looked great.

I've played around with the settings for a long time and find them perfect now, so here they are if anyone's interested.

Contrast: 50
Brightness: 65 (I often times use the 20% eco mode, which changes it to 45)
Eco: off (usually)

User-R: 100
User-G: 94
User-B: 99

Overdrive +2

Slam Dunk, Vol. 23 (Slam Dunk (Viz))
Slam Dunk, Vol. 23 (Slam Dunk (Viz))
by Takehiko Inoue
Price: 6.03

5.0 out of 5 stars where the anime ends..., 31 Mar 2014
This volume picks up right after the anime ends. I didn't know what to expect in quality here (not from the UK myself), but the book and the pages look fantastic.

What else needs to be said? One of the best manga out there in my opinion. Funny and emotional at the same time. I personally really like the anime (watched it twice), but it has one huge problem (pacing...it's awful).

I'm more of an anime guy myself, but I'll probably buy all the volumes. It's just that good.

Sons of Anarchy - Season 1-3 [DVD]
Sons of Anarchy - Season 1-3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Charlie Hunnam
Price: 14.70

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my all time favorites, 16 Nov 2013
I purchased this box because I was branching out on shows and the price seemed right. Oh boy, what a great decision. This show sucked me in - like literally. Could not think about anything else for two days straight. I watched about one and a half seasons in those first two days. Freakin' bargin for that price. Thanks a lot amazon!

The Office - An American Workplace - Season 7 [DVD]
The Office - An American Workplace - Season 7 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Steve Carell
Price: 10.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the same + Disc "problems"?, 12 Nov 2013
I was hoping that Michael would leave at the end of the season. *SPOILER* he leaves way too soon.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I'll like the next few seasons as much. Infact, I highly doubt it. This here was probably the worst, although I thought that the first one was mediocre aswell. Just couldn't get me to laugh much at all.

Oh and is it just me, or are some of the episodes twice on the disk? The 5th CD shows the second last episode twice in a row and there's another time it does (I think CD 4). Confused me for a bit, I though it was like a different version, but no, it's exactly the same. Probably just a production error.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 22, 2014 4:26 AM GMT

The Office Season 1-5 Ultimate Package [DVD]
The Office Season 1-5 Ultimate Package [DVD]
Dvd ~ Steve Carell
Price: 25.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Finishing strong (that's what she said), 30 July 2013
Honestly, I didn't like the first season. It just didn't click. However, I'm glad that I kept watching because this turned out to be one of the funniest shows I've ever seen. Season 2-5 were all brilliant (season 1 is the shortest). Definitely a must buy!

Batman: Gotham Knight [DVD] [2008]
Batman: Gotham Knight [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Shojiro Nishimi
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 2.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Batmanime!, 12 Dec 2012
As a huge Anime fan I was looking forward to this movie, Batman being possibly my most favorite superhero. Now as said before, this is a Comic/Anime mash-up and that's exactly what you get. Some of the drawings here were mind-blowing, I wouldn't mind some of these to get serialized or to bring out some movies! Here my personal opinions and ranking in short: (MIGHT CONTAIN SMALL CHARACTER SPOILERS)

- Have I Got a Story for You (#6 place):
Very weird, I was actually worried because I had no idea that the movie would be cut into different pieces. I did not like the drawing style, everyone looked rather wobbly, which just doesn't add up. The "story" itself was rather weird aswell.

- Crossfire (#1 place)
Close first place for me. Everything looked crisp, I loved every single design in this one. Batman was a total warmachine-badass! I definitely wouldn't mind to watch a hole movie of this one...(although we didn't get to see Bruce Wayne, or well, how he'd look)

- Field Test (#3 place)
I liked the tone of this, although Bruce Wayne was definitely too young for Conroy's voice, maybe get Bale to do it? Batman's costume is pretty "special" in this one, he looked more like Hawkman - still badass in my opinion.

- In Darkness Dwells (#4 place)
This one could be rather hard to look at for some people, for longer session anyway. Lots of 3D-effects and other new and uncommon things were implented here. Thought Scarecrow was interesting, Croc on the other hand wasn't my taste.

- Working Through Pain (#5 place)
Pretty boring story, the Bruce Wayne scenes didn't really add up for me, I didn't like the way he looked or what he was doing. The short Batman scenes on the other hand looked great - still too boring though. This could potential work as a slow segment in a movie, mainly based around Batman (and very little screentime for Bruce Wayne).

- Deadshot (#2 place)
Very close second place. This is arguably the closest to the original. I liked almost everything in this, Deadshot was cool and the design were great - except for whatever that eye-protection thingy on Batman's mask was. Other than that, great!

Arrested Development - Season 1-3 [DVD]
Arrested Development - Season 1-3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jason Bateman
Price: 13.40

5.0 out of 5 stars For british eyes only!, 19 Oct 2012
I had not known about this show until a few weeks ago and man did I miss out. This is one of the best comedy sitcoms I've ever seen, so buy it right now!

My favorite thing about this show was undoubtly Gob Bluth played by Will Arnett. That guy kills it in every scene!

Entourage: Complete HBO Season 7 [Blu-ray] [2011] [Region Free]
Entourage: Complete HBO Season 7 [Blu-ray] [2011] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Jeremy Piven
Offered by BlueBarrelSurf
Price: 7.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Annoying and brilliant...and some returns, 5 April 2012
Season 7 brings some good and some bad. First the good...

Personally I thought that Drama was hilarious in this season. He always had his moments, but here he really shines. I'm not gonna spoiler anything but at some points I just kept laughing really hard. Then there's Ari. Obviously the not so shining lead. He carried Entourage for at least season 4 to 6. Now he falls a little off, not so many moments anymore, but he's still brilliant.
There are also some small returns which I enjoyed but again, not spoiling anything...

Now the not so good - Vince. This guy brings the word annoying and naive to a new level. I mean he always had some weak moments like with Mandy, but the guys were always there to catch him up and get him back into line. Not so here. It's just annoying. Some times you just want to slap this kid in the face to get him back into reality. But then again, that is (probably) the hole point of this character, so job well done (still annoying as hell). Turtle also seems quite naive in the beginning, but he's still a good fella. E is not worth mentioning to be honest.

This season is definitely the weakest of them all. However, I still think it's enjoyable if you're a fan. Blu-Ray quality is good, but DVD would be fine aswell I think.