Profile for Mr. P. Houldershaw > Reviews

Content by Mr. P. Houldershaw

Mr. P. Houldershaw "houldershaw" (London, Great Britain)

Page: 1 | 2
Whatever Julie Wants
Whatever Julie Wants

1.0 out of 5 stars BE AWARE THESE ARE TRANSFERS FROM OLD VINYL, 5 April 2012
This review is from: Whatever Julie Wants (Audio CD)
Due to the laws in Europe which allows music over 50 years old to go out of copyright, it is open season for any 'record label' to reissue these vintage recordings. But buyers be aware these are taken from original vinyl records. They are the same as if you had 'home taped' (to use an 80's expression) them yourself. They may be cheap - but you get what you pay for. If you are after a hard to find original record then these releases will probably suit you fine. But of you are looking for the original master tapes to have been lovingly transferred to the silver disc - then forget it.
These releases are, to all intents and purposes, official bootlegs.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 14, 2012 10:34 AM BST

Panoramas of Lost London
Panoramas of Lost London
by Philip Davies

3.0 out of 5 stars BE AWARE - OVER 300 PICTURES REPEATED FROM 'LOST LONDON' BOOK, 27 Dec 2011
I feel slightly mean giving this book 3 stars as it is a truly superb book. HOWEVER, I was rather dismayed to discover over 300 pictures have been published in Philip Davies' previous English Heritage book 'Lost London'. Only 60 pictures are new to this book. The reason given is that the previously published images have been 'blown up' to allow the viewer to appreciate the incredible detail to be seen on these huge pages.
Well, honestly I could take a magnifying glass to my 'Lost London' book if I want to appreciate the detail.
I do feel that, on the back of the incredible success EH have had with 'Lost London', this book is something of a quick Christmas cash in.
300 repeat pictures is a bit of a cheek.
Aside from that, and even if you do already own 'Lost London', I would still not hesitate to buy this book.
But next time Mr Davies, please could you dig a little deeper into the image archives.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 13, 2013 8:32 AM GMT

Murder in Mind Box Set [DVD] [2001]
Murder in Mind Box Set [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Tim Healy

5.0 out of 5 stars A reminder of how good British television drama used to be, 2 Aug 2011
I just wanted to add my 5 stars to everyone elses. I found these stories absolutely gripping. Superbly acted - and well paced. In fact, the series reminded me of how television drama used to be back in the 70's. Great actors - great stories - no gimmicks. These are the kind of programmes that every British actor must dream of landing a part in. How I wish there were more programmes like this rather than the 'reality' rubbish. This programme will be the BBC's enduring legacy in years to come. I doubt the same will be said for 'How clean are my antique cook books' and the like. Here's hoping for a series 4.

Memories Of You
Memories Of You

2.0 out of 5 stars GREAT TITLE - SHAME THEY USED IT UP FOR OLD PRODUCT INSTEAD OF A NEW CONCEPT ALBUM., 14 Dec 2010
This review is from: Memories Of You (Audio CD)
It's been 4 years since Bette gave us any new material (aside from her Christmas album). I logged on to her website today and jumped with delight at the sight of this 'new' album'. I am seriously disapointed that this is simply a repackage of old material (and not particularly well chosen either - since when was Leiber and Stoller's 'Is that all there is' inducted into the 'Great American Songbook'?). Better must have earned megabucks during her stint in Las Vegas over the last 2 or 3 years, but it means her recording career has seriously suffered. Us fans deserve better than this.

Swinging with the Starr
Swinging with the Starr

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully confident and full of character - the young Kay Starr, 22 Oct 2010
This review is from: Swinging with the Starr (Audio CD)
I have to re-address the balance of the rating of this album. I don't think it is fair the other reviewer gave this 2 stars and goes on to say 'I haven't bought this album'. This album was first issued in the mid 50's on Capitol's subsiduary Liberty. It is a collection of early Kay Starr recordings from the late 40's. So it's a vintage compilation album. The band and the voice is superb. Young Kay Starr could swing like a true pro. She was a singers singer. Despite the age of the music, the quality is superb, and the styling is surprisingly fresh. It wouldn't be out of place being sung by Madeleine Peyroux for example. Trust me, this is an absolute 5 'star' album, and it is not fair to give it 2 stars simply because there are cheaper alternate collections on the market. Well done to DRG for another excellent release.

Spring And Port Wine [DVD]
Spring And Port Wine [DVD]
Dvd ~ James Mason

5.0 out of 5 stars DIANA COUPLAND - What a star!, 1 Jun 2010
This review is from: Spring And Port Wine [DVD] (DVD)
I got this because I love the whole kitchen sink genre of British films. I am as much fascinated with the historical nature of the film as the stories. I wasn't sure what to expect with this but film, but I have to say I loved every minute of it. The story is slight, and the pace is slow, but that only helps to magnify the emotional impact of every line and scene. What really stood out for me was Diana Coupland's acting. She portrayed the wife and mother with such tenderness and love. The hardships of life, the loyalty to neighbours - it was all there. She seemed to portray everyone's Mother. I found it quite emotional. If you can get over James Mason's not terribly convincing Northern accent, then this film is a true British gem.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2011 12:36 AM GMT

Miss Marple Complete Short Stories Gift Set
Miss Marple Complete Short Stories Gift Set
by Agatha Christie
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Joan Hickson reads the great Miss Marple's, 29 May 2010
The above review is nonsense. The reviewer quite obviously hates Agatha Christie's writing and Joan Hickson's acting. I can only assume they chose this Amazon site to vent their utterly pointless venom. Take no notice. In Joan Hickson we have THE portayal of Miss Marple, and what else needs to be said about Agatha Christie's Marple stories? If you have enjoyed the television adaptations, and in particular the 1980's Joan Hickson productions, then I can thoroughly recommend these further short stories. They are all gems.

How Glad I Am / Gentle Is My Love
How Glad I Am / Gentle Is My Love

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 CLASSIC ALBUMS ON CD - AT LONG LAST, 16 Oct 2009
Nancy Wilson had been creating some great jazz for Capitol records, with George Shearing and Cannonball Adderley, in the early 60's. Then out of the blue came the pop single 'How glad I am', for which she won a Grammy award in 1964 - and on the back of the hit single and album of the same title was rush released. Considering it is a collection from more than one recording session (in the same way Petula Clark's classic 'Downtown' album was) it makes a superb collection. Hit songs of the day such as 'People' and 'The boy from Ipanema' are given the beautiful Wilson treatment. The real treat for me is the second album 'Gentle is my love'. Recorded within one week (yes, they did that in those days) this is a beautiful collection of string laden dreamy ballads, in the Nat Cole vein. Her rendition of 'More' is the most beautiful i've heard. I've owned these records on vinyl for 25 years. I can't believe it has taken so long for them to be finally issued on cd. An essential purchase. Thanks DRG!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 10, 2013 3:07 PM BST

The Lost Mansions of Mayfair
The Lost Mansions of Mayfair
by Oliver Bradbury

5.0 out of 5 stars AN EXCELLENT HISTORICAL REFERANCE, 9 Oct 2009
I can't decide weather the above reviewer gave this book 1 star because it has 'black and white' photo's as a joke or not. This book is a very well researched and fascinating document of a mostly vanished part of London. Since most of the buildings described disappeared over 50 years ago, it is hardly surprising the photos are black and white. This isn't a tourist guide book. Instead it details dozens of buildings, street by street, area by area, giving details of architects, a history of each property and the owner's names. It's a fascinating insight into how an area of London went from being the most fashionable residence of nobility, to 'new money', to it's rapid destruction in the early 20th century as trade and commerce moved in, and finally to something of a renaissance in the 21st century. I found it absolutely fascinating. Researched with a real passion, and lavishly sprinkled with black and white photos.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 15, 2013 8:26 AM GMT

Take Love Easy
Take Love Easy
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars HUGELY ENJOYABLE & FRESH!, 15 May 2009
This review is from: Take Love Easy (Audio CD)
I have only recently discovered the incredible talent of Russian born Sophie Milman. I can't rate this album highly enough. The arrangements are really fresh and lively. The swingin' really swings - the ballads are lush and tender. The vocals are stunning. Even old chestnuts like 'Love for sale', which could easily have been given the usual hamy cabaret feel, sound new and original. Likewise the song 'My one and only love', which has been recorded hundreds of times, is given what I think the definitive treatment by Ms Milman. If you have any interest in jazz music and vocalists, then this could well be the best purchase you make this year. Having been very disappointed with Diana Krall's uninspired new album, this album proved a complete contrast. 5 stars plus!

Page: 1 | 2