Profile for Z. Hughes > Reviews

Content by Z. Hughes

Z. Hughes "Wolfsbayne" (England)

Nightmare Before Christmas 'Black Jack' Summer/Skater Mini Dress sizes XS - XXL
Nightmare Before Christmas 'Black Jack' Summer/Skater Mini Dress sizes XS - XXL

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely dress, 18 July 2013
I purchased this dress as I wanted a gothic but summery dress to wear to clubs during the hot summer months. The description of this dress suited my needs perfectly and so I made my decision. It arrived quickly and was bagged as described.

It isn't a mini dress.

I ordered the size 14 being unsure of sizing which is slightly large but not too much so in terms of bust and waist - which is fine. The length of the dress though is only an inch or so above the knees. A mini dress for me should lie around the mid-thigh area so this was much longer than expected! I am 5' 3" so it could be that it is my being smaller than average causing the issue but even so, I would have expected it to have been a couple of inches shorter really.

Tracking Down Your Ancestors: Discover the story behind your ancestors and bring your family history to life
by Dr. Harry Alder

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple ideas, 21 Aug 2007
A great book for the beginner genealogist with some good starting points and a great list of useful addresses, glossary, etc at the back. I personally found the majority of the book to be common sense and most of the ideas had long been looked at previously, there was little in it to help someone who had already begun the search and read a few books already. However, saying that, if you are new to family research, etc and want a good introduction to the subject then this is a good book to begin with.

What Animals Tell Me: True Stories of an Animal Communicator
What Animals Tell Me: True Stories of an Animal Communicator
by Monica Diedrich

3.0 out of 5 stars Animal stories?, 21 Aug 2007
Although I have some experience with this field of a colleague being an 'animal communicator and healer' I found this book to be both entertaining yet irritating. I don't know if the americanisms of the book made it difficult to digest but I found all of the animal's communications to be too founded in the author's ideas of spirituality and re-incarnation. Although I am sure she has good cause to come up with her theory of 'soul-switching - where a dead animal makes a deal with a life one to switch souls in order to return to their original owner' I found this to be quite outlandish and was surprised at how frequently this idea surfaced throughout the book, I am sure that most animals communications are regarding much more mundane matters than the idea of life and death.

Overall, this book is an easy and quick read. It is comforting for animal lovers who want the knowledge their animals think independently, etc but I think it needs to be read with some sceptism and not at face value.