ARRAY(0xa2686984)

Page: 1 | 2
The Year of the Flood
The Year of the Flood

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply fantastic..., 30 Mar 2014
...and a fitting middle chapter to a stunning, terrifying yet hopeful trilogy that shows what Man is capable of, for better and worse.

New Asus Google Nexus 7 FHD 2013 2 2nd Generation Tablet BLACK USB Desktop Charger Sync & Charge Dock Pod Station- Part of the InventCase® Accessories Range
Offered by Sunny Savers Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Charges but doesn't sync... I expect more for Asus, 13 Feb 2014
Considering that Asus made the Nexus 7 for Google you would think that unlike some third-party docks theirs would not only charge the device but would also sync it with your computer... but this is not the case. I tried the device attached to the computer with just the cable and it opened the Android File Transfer app without any problem so I know it's definitely the base. If you are looking for a dock that does these two simple things then don't buy this.

ARTPOP [CD+DVD]
ARTPOP [CD+DVD]
Offered by MediaMine

3.0 out of 5 stars ARTPOP... or ARTFLOP?, 12 Nov 2013
This review is from: ARTPOP [CD+DVD] (Audio CD)
I loved Lady Gaga's last two albums but I'm struggling with this one... and I think, at times, Lady Gaga is too - struggling to find a tune. Overall the album feels far too overproduced and a bit of an aural mess. There is far too much synth and shouting for it to be a successful pop album and certain tracks such as Fashion!, Jewels N' Drugs and the title track ARTPOP are almost impenetrabe. But on the flipside there are some decent tunes too like Do What U Want, Venus and the brilliant Applause. There is no doubt Lady Gaga is very talented but I think this is an album that feels part of an experience... but with the actual experience itself missing. Don't think I'm a hater because I love good ol' Mama Monster - she brings a little bit of eccentricity and brilliance into an otherwise plastic and mundane pop world but sadly this album isn't as good as I had hoped it would.

UPDATE: I'm starting to like some of the songs, but I've just listed to Born This Way and for sheer musicality it knocks ARTPOP to the floor! Coupled with The Fame Monster, these two albums show Lady Gaga at her height while ARTPOP is something of an over-produced painful-to-listen-to nadir in my humble opinion. Now, where's the aspirin...

PRISM [Bonus Tracks]
PRISM [Bonus Tracks]
Offered by Star Deals De

4.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing - but then again..., 21 Oct 2013
This review is from: PRISM [Bonus Tracks] (Audio CD)
I loved "Teenage Dreams" which got me through a very difficult time in my life - my grandmother was dying, and my mother had been diagnosed with a terminal illness - so perhaps I have a rather biased view of that album. Like others I was looking forward to PRISM but after listening to it for the best part of today I have to agree with a number of other reviewers who have said there are quite a few unmemorable songs on here. It might be that they will grow on me in time, but at the moment I would say 80% of the album sounds like pure filler to me. Apologies Ms Perry, but in my humble - and completely irrelevant - opinion this is a very disappointing album.

UPDATE #1 - One day into listening to the album fully I have to admit that the songs are growing on me. Once you get over the playful nod to the old Katy Perry with "Roar" the rest of the album comes across as more mature and thoughtful. There are still moments of fun but they are few and far apart but that's almost a good thing since the songs benefit from repeated listens. So, rather than this album being as disappointing as I initially thought I will admit I was wrong and now think it will be a "grower" if fans, both old and new, give it and Katy a bit of time.

UPDATE #2 - Over a week in, and I love the album. Not all the tracks are to my taste: some are a little too bubblegum but the darker, more mature tracks (you'll know them when you hear them) are brilliant. Combine this with the best tracks from the previous two albums and you have a Katy Perry album that will rarely be off the sound system.

Halcyon Days
Halcyon Days

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic music but such a rip-off!, 26 Aug 2013
This review is from: Halcyon Days (MP3 Download)
I love Ellie Goulding's music. I think she is one of a new generation of singer songwriters who will be around for a very long time. What I think is most shameful about this release - or rather re-release - is the cost and how it's been down. While I'm sure it's not purely down to Ms Goulding but rather the music company wanting to milk her fans but was it really necessary to re-release the whole album a second time with ten new songs on it for quite an overblown price... especially if you were one of those fans who bought the original album? Wouldn't it be more respectful to the fans to also have a second release of just the ten new songs as either a "Complete your album" for around £5 or £6 or release them as an extended EP. The original album came out as a non-deluxe and a deluxe back in 2012, and now we seem to have a deluxe deluxe version! For me, I am starting to wonder at Ms Goulding allowing this sort of practice - it smacks of money-grabbing when there is no need; I would have bought the album of new songs on their own without a second thought... now, I'll simply listen to them on Spotify. Sorry Ms Goulding but I feel that the record company are ripping off your loyal fans in trying to attract new ones and that is never a good thing. That said, the new material is, as ever from Ms Goulding, superb.

UPDATE: A friend sent me the digital booklet that accompanies this release. In the acknowledgements section at the back, Ellie has written, "... Lastly I want to thank my manager, Jamie Lillywhite, and those friends and fans who
have been with me from day one, when it all began, and have continually believed in me, kept my spirits high and my feet firmly on the ground. Thanks to those who have joined me on the way and never looked back. Long may
this mental journey of mine continue, with all the wisdom, faith, humour and kindness of all the incredible people I am lucky enough to have in my life. Love you."

Hmmm, Ms Goulding. I think, after how this re-release has been managed those "fans who have been with [you] from day one, when it all began, and have continually believed in [you], kept [your] spirits high and [your] feet firmly on the ground" may think twice about shelling out for the next album... I think they'll be inclined to wait for the inevitable re-release a year later which, it seems, is the norm for you now.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 1, 2013 8:08 PM BST

vouchercloud
vouchercloud

1.0 out of 5 stars Will not load..., 14 Nov 2012
This review is from: vouchercloud (App)
...on my Kindle Fire HD sadly hence the one star. Works fine on my iPhone 5 so it must be an Android thing.

Born This Way (Deluxe Edition)
Born This Way (Deluxe Edition)
Offered by MasterDVD

5.0 out of 5 stars Just incredible..., 25 May 2011
I'm not one to give high praise to anything creative since, being in design and advertising myself, I find the lack of originality somewhat frightening these days, but this album is just incredible. I'm almost speechless with admiration and praise for this young woman. The album transcends all I thought it would be which was a second attempt to copy "The Fame" but what we have with "Born This Way" is a collection of songs that define an artist at this exact moment in her career and her beliefs. Yes, there are nods to all sorts of musical influences, most notably Madonna on "Bloody Mary" and a subtle stealing from Whitney's "I Wanna Dance (with Somebody)" on "Fashion Of His Life" but really the is the genius of Lady Gaga - she's the sublime stealing from the best. Simply wonderful.

Knights of Pendragon, The Vol. 1 (Knights of Pendragon 1)
Knights of Pendragon, The Vol. 1 (Knights of Pendragon 1)
by Dan Abnett

5.0 out of 5 stars A blast from the past!, 7 Nov 2010
The Knights of Pendragon hold a very special place in my heart. I remember collecting all 18 issues of the initial run avidly (and less so the second volume, Pendragon II), way back in the early 90s. I loved the mix of Arthurian lore, eco issues and the sheer bravery of storytelling. There was nothing else like it then, and there still isn't. I reconnected with "The Knights..." a few months ago when I had to go home to look after my sick mother. Leafing through my old comic collection for something to take my mind off things, I found the first volume and read an issue before I went to sleep; I was suddenly a young man again, just before heading off to London, just before my father died, dreaming of the Green Knight and the future. It takes a while for the art to become comfortable, but once you read a few issues you realise the a title like this needed this sort of style - without it, the book would have suffered a little, I think. And the writing is incredible for its boldness although admittedly the dialogue sounds a little jarring to my ears now though at the time it didn't. I can't express how much this series inspired me to follow a creative writing direction in my life... something I am still doing with a degree of success twenty years on. I just hope that this volume sells well enough for Marvel to put out the second volume (issues 10-18) to complete at least the first series of this incredible book.

I've never said this, much less written it, before but in the case of "The Knights of Pendragon", make mine Marvel!

Never Let Me Go
Never Let Me Go
by Kazuo Ishiguro

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has never let go..., 15 Sep 2010
This review is from: Never Let Me Go (Hardcover)
What can I say but five years on from reading this book, and with the film adaptation imminent, I can still remember the unease, the wonder and the horror of reading about Ruth, Tommy and Kathy's lives at Hailsham and what is expected of them to "complete" their young lives. This isn't a science fiction novel but it is a story that shows Humanity's inhumanity when it uses science to go against the natural order of things. That children, no matter how they are created, must bear the brunt of this need to survive no matter what - and some do so absolutely willingly - is the most distressing thing I have ever read. With the advances in stem cell research and our own insatiable desire to live forever this book deserves to be called a "timeless classic" not because of its superlative writing but rather because Ishiguru has looked deep into our souls and found that we, as a frightened society, are heading down this path if we are not careful.

Don't expect an action-packed page turner, but rather read this book if you want to understand a little more about human nature... that of children and your own when it comes to life and its inevitable end.

The Matrix
The Matrix
by Jonathan Aycliffe

5.0 out of 5 stars Read once, chilled forever, 16 Feb 2010
This review is from: The Matrix (Paperback)
I first read this book on its paperback release back in the early Nineties. Seventeen or so years on, I can still remember the unease that this book spread into me as I read it. I've never been unnerved or scared by any book in my life - except this one. As one previous reviewer said, reading this book isn't so much reading but rather it is like having a very disturbed and uncomfortable experience. I have never read the book since but it had such an effect on me that I remember it (with shivers) now. I probably won't ever forget it, either.

Page: 1 | 2