Profile for NickyK > Reviews

5x5 Live
5x5 Live
Price: 19.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Celebrate, 3 Feb 2013
This review is from: 5x5 Live (Audio CD)
I don't write reviews usually. 14 years on Amazon and never felt a need too but there is something amazing about this little box set that makes me want to say something about it.

Time passes and bands change and as I'm not the 14 year old who fell in love with Simple Minds in 1981 nor are they the band that they were. Thank goodness for both as the worst thing one can do is stagnate. I've seen them many times since 1981 and sometimes they are great and sometimes not quite so. The last few years they have wobbled a bit for me live just like they did in the 90s and Jim's voice hasn't sounded right. Then I went to see them at the Barrowlands on 5x5 and something magical had reappeared in not just Jim's voice but the whole sound and feel of the band.

There is something beautiful about this live recording and it comes out best in Hunter and the Hunted which I can listen to over and over. Everything sounds perfect about it and it is enchantingly beautiful the way it was back in time. Only more so as it is Simple Minds doing it now, rather than trying to reproduce the past. The band have recharged themselves somehow by doing this tour and at Hogmanay the magic that was at Barrowlands, the rest of that tour and on this live box, is still there and growing.

Simply fabulous.