Profile for A. Steffe > Reviews

Content by A. Steffe

A. Steffe "haraniya" (Derby)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Housewives Tarot
The Housewives Tarot
by Paul Kepple
Edition: Cards

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite decks, 20 Mar. 2005
This review is from: The Housewives Tarot (Cards)
I collect all sorts of divination decks, including Tarot and playing cards, and so couldn't resist The Housewives' Tarot; it is so retro and original - a must for any Tarot collection. The artwork is great and very inspired. Like the other reviewer, I also didn't expect to get a 'meaningful' reading out of them, but I did (and have done every time since), and also found the pictures help you tap into your inuition very effectively. There is no other Tarot deck like it, and it's so much fun to use. It is beginner and people-scared-of-Tarot-friendly and as any mystic worth her salt would say, you should approach divination, as with any art, with a sense of humour and lightheartedness. This deck is ideal for this. The interpretations in the book are humorous, but as it relates the meaning to any household activity or worry, you realise how much it speaks to you on all levels. This makes a reading a very grounding process. I just love this deck! It's so unique and well put together- you even get recipies to use with the different spreads! And the sturdy box is so good at keeping them neat - as any good housewife would. A deck to treasure, and to learn with.

The Woman in White (Penguin Popular Classics)
The Woman in White (Penguin Popular Classics)
by Wilkie Collins

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly brilliant, 8 Mar. 2005
I am so glad I picked this up by random choice, because it has become one of my most beloved tales. It is so easy to get into - starting off original and funny and quickly slipping into mystery and page-tearing intrigue.
Each character will capture your heart or your contempt as you follow this dark tale. You are immediately drawn into sympathy with them as they unfold their mystery as you, the reader, does. They are among my most favourite characters ever.
The structure of the book means you get precise and detailed accounts of everything, so there is no chance of missing anything important in the mystery. It does ensure you are a part of every moment. I love Marian's diary entries.
The book is thick(er than some) and the pages are thin, but Collins' prose moves you along at such a pace. Everytime I picked it up I said "only 10 or so pages" and I ended up 100 pages into it once again and a cold cuppa next to me.
There is a hefty intro and endless asterisk throughout with notes in an appendix. Don't read these till you finish the book as they give stuff away you don't want to uncover before Walter or Marian does!!
Also, the narrative of Mr Fairlie is the most hilarious chapter I've ever read. I COULD NOT stop laughing. Every sentence just got funnier. Perhaps it was just relief from the darker mood of the book, (which is of course its objective) but it was so funny. Mr Fairlie is a highly entertaining character and Collins' quirky prose excels when writing him.
I keep trying to get people to read this beautiful story, but they see it and go "oh no..." but please, dally no longer and buy it. It's an absolute bargain for 1.50! You get a fantastic, harrowing, gripping story that will stay with you for years. Forget this month's magazine and invest in The Woman in White. It's worth it.

The Hedge Witch's Way: Magical Spirituality for the Lone Spellcaster
The Hedge Witch's Way: Magical Spirituality for the Lone Spellcaster
by Rae Beth

5.0 out of 5 stars Prayers in the woods, 15 Jan. 2005
I loved Rae Beth's Hedge Witch for it's simple, beautiful and compassionate take on Witchcraft. This book follows on perfectly. It focuses on prayers mainly, what some would call 'invocations'. She offers beautfully written prayers for allsorts of things such as health, dreams, understanding and goes into great step by step detail of how to write your own.
She discusses the spirituality of Witches, describing the World Tree and what each level means in our practice.
This is a book to draw out your individual way of Witchcraft, primarily a guidebook, but more a meditation on what lies beneath Nature. It's excellent and well worth buying.

Cunt: A Declaration of Independence (Live Girls)
Cunt: A Declaration of Independence (Live Girls)
by Inga Muscio

5.0 out of 5 stars Why can't you get this in the shops???!, 15 Jan. 2005
I first read 'Cunt' nearly four years ago and it still feels as fresh and as important to my life now, despite the changes of marriage etc.
As a married woman, I obviously like men, so this book does NOT show you how to eliminate men from the world. It shows you how to connect with other women (we don't all share cultures, hair colour, tastes or sexual preference but we do all have cunts), how to love yourself (metaphorically and manually), how to live creatively, how to support feminine-run (or cuntlovin') businesses and artists.
Every single page is an inspiration. Inga writes from a place of deep love for her subject. She wont shy away from saying what she feels and her personal stories are funny, inspiring and touching. Her prose flows conversationally and she will make you laugh outloud.
For me personally, I found this book a help as a survivor of sexual abuse. This book helped me look at 'that' part of me with admiration and love.
But that's beside the point, every single woman and every single person who lives near a cunt (ie everyone) SHOULD read this book. It reminds you how infuriating and amazing it is to be a woman in our society.
You don't have to be a lesbian to be a cuntlover. If you support women, their roles, be they mothers or businesswomen, artists or prostitutes, then you are in a postition to revolutionise the future for our daughters. Find your strength by reading this book. Stop saying "I've got balls" and say "I've got cunt". Be proud of your body, your mind and what you can do in this world.
Also, the new edition has a new and extensive resources section, so you can get in touch with more like-minded women.
We need more cuntlove in England. Get this book and spread the word!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 13, 2013 2:59 AM GMT

Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years)
Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years)
by Gregory Maguire

5.0 out of 5 stars Fall in love with the Wicked Witch of the West!, 14 Jan. 2005
I did! She is the quintessential 'Witch' - pointy face, cackles and plots to kill children...but how did she get there? Is that all there is to her? This brilliant book shows that the Witch of the West (beautifully named Elphaba) is actually human, with regrets, beauty, passion, pain and a heart. The events of her life are sad and frustrating, as she feels she fails at everything. (She's not even good at being a Witch)
Underneath that unique green skin is just another child wishing for her parents to love her.
The book is slow in places, but by the time you've got really involved, it flies by. The weird thing when reading was the anticipation to get to the end, even though you knew how it ended. But Gregory Maguire makes you think 'why?' and you can't put it down until you know.
The book is funny, sexy, insightful and you learn there's more to Oz than squeaky singers and a Yellow Brick Road. Maguire has created a fantastic history and geography that shows the many layers of Baum's Oz.
Elphaba is a herione that will stay in readers' hearts, because, despite what she herself says, Maguire has given her a soul, one of unforgettable strength and passion.
I love her so much! She's up there with Gandalf and Weatherwax, Wicked or no!
Read this book and tell everyone else who loves The Wizard of Oz to read it too, because it will offer an intriguing insight into one of literature's most feared and misunderstood women. She deserves to be heard.

The Killings at Badger's Drift (A Chief Inspector Barnaby Novel)
The Killings at Badger's Drift (A Chief Inspector Barnaby Novel)
by Caroline Graham

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 3 Jun. 2004
This is my favourite Caroline Graham novel, quite simply because it's flawless. I was glued from beginning to end by the characters, the setting, the insights, the intrigue..... what I love about her craft is that she weaves so many seemingly different stories into one with such depth of detail. Her murders are never simple!

I think this may be the 'darkest' of her works, and that's why I love it so much. She never shys away from taboo subjects and her creepy characters are never ridiculous but very chilling.

If you like to guess a different conclusion at every chapter and sweat right along with Barnaby then you'll love this perfect country murder. I also highly recommend the screen adaptation with an excellent cast who truly bring the book to life.

The Magical Household (Llewellyn's Practical Magick)
The Magical Household (Llewellyn's Practical Magick)
by Scott Cunningham

5.0 out of 5 stars Great house-warming present...., 3 Jun. 2004
...Pagan or otherwise! This book is filled with interesting and constructive house folklore from all over the world. Each chapter focuses on a certain aspects of the home - from the hearth to the kitchen, pets and the garden. It has good house blessings and cleansings which I have used annually since I moved into my house. My friend also used the same cleansing and found it to be highly effective.
An excellent guide to helping your home reflect your magical self, although it should not, in any way, stop you from going outside and communing with Nature (as one reviewer suggested). Nature is outside and no matter how many plants or dream catchers you string about, the Powers will always be closer and best observed/worked with outside. So get out there! But, with the help of this book, you'll return to your lovely, welcoming home and feel just as at one with Nature as you did underneath the stars.
Read this book and live your magical life every day.

ET 101: The Cosmic Instruction Manual
ET 101: The Cosmic Instruction Manual
by Zoev Jho

5.0 out of 5 stars Home!, 14 Aug. 2003
I was so excited about getting this book, and I was even more excited after reading it. At last, a book which tackles serious, meaningful issues but doesn't get caught up in it's own importance. It is so unbelievably funny, you'll laugh and at the same time have this overwhelming feeling of reassurance.
If you've come to this book after reading Earth Angels by Doreen Virtue and are wondering if it is a useful book, then yes, it is. Why? It confirms everything you've thought. It makes you feel good. It takes the seriousness out of all this heavy spiritual thinking you've lost yourself in. It reminds you to enjoy life, no matter where you're from. It also focuses you on your mission: to the spread the Light. Remember: You Are The Truth 8)
Enjoy and pass on to everyone you love.

Recovery of Your Inner Child
Recovery of Your Inner Child
by Lucia Capacchione

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book in its field, 22 Nov. 2002
I bought this book purely on the strength of its reviews, and I was not disappointed!

Lucia writes in a very calming, loving way which helps you through some of the more 'challenging' exercises. This book will make you cry! It breaks through so much pent up pain, aggression, shame, fear. You learn to love your Inner Child with the utmost care and nurturance.

Also, this book helped me stop smoking! There's a section on talking to your body, as you would your Inner Child....and by having a written conversation with my throat and lungs (don't laugh - it's a brilliant exercise!) I lost the need for cigarettes, quick as that. This book can help you heal on so many levels.

This will improve your life so much, you'll wonder why you lasted so long without it.

The SELF-PARENTING PROGRAM (You Can Become Your Own Loving Parent)
The SELF-PARENTING PROGRAM (You Can Become Your Own Loving Parent)
by John K. Pollard

2.0 out of 5 stars Too disciplined, 22 Nov. 2002
This book offers a very strict way of communicating with your inner child, which may work for some (and obviously has, by the noted success of this guy's philosophy) but for me, it was too strict. Inner child work should be explorative and revealing, but also fun and enjoyable. With this book you must talk at a certain time of day (first thing in the morning), for a limited time and only answer by saying TY (thankyou). It seemed a very impersonal way to get to know a very deep and private part of yourself.
If however, you still want to give it a go, don't buy this book first..this accompanies his earlier work - buy both.
When I think of my inner child, I think of freedom, fun, messiness, understanding and - most of all - love. This Program is far too structured and boring. My Inner Child needed love, not more discipline. I firmly suggest you buy Lucia Capacchione's 'Recovery Of Your Inner Child' if you want go at your own pace, in your own way and truly connect on a very deep, personal level of love with the most fragile and important part of yourself.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 23, 2008 2:40 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3