Profile for Mrs. M. Macdonald > Reviews

Content by Mrs. M. Macdonald

Mrs. M. Macdonald (Shetland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Birdwatcher
The Birdwatcher

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid four star read., 25 Jun. 2016
This review is from: The Birdwatcher (Kindle Edition)
William South was a man who kept himself to himself. He was a community copper dealing with neighbourhood disputes and in his spare time he was a keen birder.

When his neighbour and friend is murdered he finds himself dragged into the investigation which opens up things in his past he has spent most of his life trying to forget.

William finds that he didn't know his friend as well as he thought. He had never wanted to work on a murder case but finds himself paired with Alex Cupidi, who is new to the area & trying to make her mark whilst dealing with a teenage daughter who is far from happy to be there.

This is a story that builds gradually. The author captures the sparse landscape of Dungeness and the estuary. The atmosphere created is like an additional character.

A solid four star read- thanks to Netgalley for the chance to read & review this book

Blame
Blame

5.0 out of 5 stars An emotional roller coaster!, 23 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Blame (Kindle Edition)
What an emotional roller coaster ! This book certainly takes no prisoners!
Anna struggles to cope with Maya, severely autistic daughter. She never gets enough sleep, she has been bruised and battered by her but her whole life revolves around her daughter. Caro has been the only person who has reached out to her and attempted to lighten her load in some small way, even if it was just phone calls and visits. However Caro has her own battles, which have resulted in her reliance on alcohol.
When Maya dies after running in front of Caro's car both Anna & Caro's lives are never going to be the same.
I loved this book. The author captures the lives of Caro & Anna so well that I was equally sympathetic to both of them. I read it through in a day.
Thanks to Netgalley for giving me the chance to read and review this book. I will be looking out for more from Nicole Trope

The Dreams of the Black Butterfly
The Dreams of the Black Butterfly
by Mark James Barrett

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite unlike anything I've read before, 21 Jun. 2016
I really don't know where to begin reviewing this book. It is quite unlike anything I have read before. Although the Black Butterfly is a link throughout it is in essence a collection of short stories. Parts of it were quite amazing and will live with me for a long time. Parts I found quite difficult to engage with and parts went completely above my head.

I think this is a book I will need to re-read at some stage. Thanks to THE Book Club for giving me the chance to read & review this thought provoking book.

The Museum of You
The Museum of You

5.0 out of 5 stars What a lovely book!, 21 Jun. 2016
This review is from: The Museum of You (Kindle Edition)
What a lovely book! I was first drawn to this book by the beautiful cover and was drawn into Clover's world.

For Clover it is the Summer Holidays and it is the first one where Darren, her father, thinks she is old enough not to need a babysitter. Clover's mother died within weeks of her birth. Her father will not/cannot seem to talk about her and Clover doesn't really want to ask too much in case it upsets him.

They live in a hoarder's paradise as their house is full of 'stuff'. After Clover visits a museum she decides to make the second bedroom into a museum dedicated to her mother but the stories Becky's things tell to Clover are not necessarily the real story.

The thing that made me love this book was the obvious love between father and daughter. Carys Bray captures the summer Clover grew up beautifully.

Thanks to Netgalley for giving me the chance to read and review this heart warming book

Endgame
Endgame

5.0 out of 5 stars Agatha Christie meets punk rock- what a combination!, 21 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Endgame (Kindle Edition)
Agatha Christie meets punk rock- what a combination! I was fascinated to see how Jeffrey Round would manage to recreate Agatha Christie's 'Then There were None'.

At first I found it quite hard going, as the collection of characters marooned on the island are a pretty unpleasant lot! It was hard to summon up any sympathy for anyone and hope that they might escape their fate. However, somehow I became completely caught up in their predicament and could not put the book down until I had the answer.

Well worth a read and thanks to Netgalley for giving me the chance to read & review this book

My Name is Leon
My Name is Leon

4.0 out of 5 stars A great but often sad read, 19 Jun. 2016
This review is from: My Name is Leon (Kindle Edition)
Leon is a loving coffee coloured nine year old. He has a beautiful baby brother who he tries to look after, as his Mum (Carol) has trouble doing so. When it becomes obvious to the authorities that Carol can't be left with the children, they are taken into care. They are placed in the house of Maureen who is getting on a bit and not in the best of health but has spent her life fostering. Soon the 'powers that be' decide his brother, being just a baby and white, would be better off being adopted. When Maureen falls ill Leon stays with Maureen's well meaning sister but he longs for his brother and his mum so plans ways to reunite the family.

Set in the '80's among the struggles between black & white this book captures the time and place beautifully. It is full of wonderful characters and I can't imagine anyone can fail to fall in love with Leon! A great, but often sad read.

Thanks to THE Book Club and Netgalley for the chance to read and review this book

Dear Amy
Dear Amy
by Helen Callaghan

4.0 out of 5 stars A satisfying read, 18 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Dear Amy (Hardcover)
Margot Lewis is a Classics teacher in a Cambridge Secondary school who is also an Agony Aunt for the local newspaper. When one of the students at the school goes missing and she begins to get letters to her column from Beth Avery- a girl that went missing many years ago, Margot becomes more involved in the story. She little thinks that it will cause her to question everything including who she is and what happened in her own past.

I really liked the idea of this book. I rather liked Margot for all her faults. On the whole it was a fairly satisfying read, although I found I got very confused at times, but maybe that just reflects Margot's state of mind.

Thanks Netgalley for giving me the chance to read and review this book.

Murder at The Loch: A traditional murder mystery set in 1950s Scotland (A Langham and Dupre Mystery)

3.0 out of 5 stars Really a 3 & a 1/2 half book, 14 Jun. 2016
This book was exactly as described- a Traditional Murder Mystery set in the 1950's. I thought the author captured the era and the characters beautifully. It was very like reading an old Agatha Christie murder mystery.

A castle in Scotland populated by diverse characters and all closed in together due to blizzard is a great backdrop to murder. I think I suspected most folk at some stage! It is well plotted and well told.

Again I wish I could award half stars, as three seems a bit mean, but I personally didn't enjoy it enough to give a four. However I am sure there are many out there who will love Murder at the Loch

Thanks to Netgalley for giving me the chance to read and review this book.

Letting In Light
Letting In Light
by Emma Davies

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read!, 14 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Letting In Light (Paperback)
My usual reading of choice is crime or psychological thriller but once in a while it is nice to read something different. I'm not sure what drew me to 'Letting in Light' but it was right on the money.

Ellie's life has been turned upside down, first by a car accident and then the break up with her long time boyfriend. As she struggles to decided where to go from here, her friend offers her a place to stay in return for doing up the house a bit. She is surprised to find that her neighbour is the person who helped her immediately after her car accident.

At first I thought this might be a bit 'Mills & Boon'y- "I hate him- Oh he's gorgeous-Ooooh!!" However there is more to this story. The characters are likable & plausible.The plot keeps you interested & all in all it was a good read.

Thanks to Netgalley for giving me the chance to read and review this.

Lost Dog (A Gideon and Sirius Novel)
Lost Dog (A Gideon and Sirius Novel)
by Alan Russell

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved Alan Russell's writing style & his great characters., 14 Jun. 2016
Being a huge dog lover I wanted to read this book. Detective Mike Gideon and his K9 partner Sirius have been through some rough times.whilst out walking they find a dog exhausted with her pads in shreds. She instantly bonds with Sirius, although she's not wild about his partner- or any other human come to that.

What Mike doesn't know, but the reader does, is that Angie's owner had saved her by putting her out the bedroom window before she was attacked. All Angie wants is to find her owner & Mike decides to help.

Along with this mystery, someone Mike met briefly dies in slightly dubious circumstances. Another trail to follow.

I loved Alan Russell's writing style & his great characters. The story is fast paced & I was on the edge of my seat as I got towards the end.

Although this is book three in a series, it works perfectly well as a stand alone story. Thanks to Netgalley for introducing me to this author.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20